DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, regarding abuse in training, it occurs to me that there are two things wrestlers have to deal with that kinda seem relevant: 1) Continuing to work even when you're hurt, and 2) putting up with fans saying the most awful shit about you pretty much just because.

Now, I want to make clear I'm not excusing DeMott. I for one wouldn't put up with that shit. But there's a lot of shit that is part of pro wrestling that I wouldn't put up with. Is it possibly fair to say this is part of it?

I mean, wrestling conventions say to call them by their gimmick name but I might be an ROH fan who wants to know Seth Rollins at "Tyler Black."

You are perfectly entitled to be that fan, provided that you aren't offended when people refer to you as "that douchey ROH fan."

I feel there are rally only two walks in life where people want your autograph but they want it, generally, as you character's name and not your name. Pro wrestler and children's entertainer. Especially Disney mascot.

Let's assemble the big book of horrible wrestling training stories

-Chris Jericho tells the story about one of the Harts taking him and putting him in a hold that basically grinded his teeth together and was extremely painful.

-Mick Foley: In his autobiography tells about old-time trainers who liked to get football players down in the mount position, then drop a knee on the back of their leg and break it.

-There's the whole Stu Hart torturing guys in his dungeon.  The most memorable of which, to me, was Bret Hart talking about Stu whispering "You've breathed your last breath" into his ear as he choked him into almost unconsciousness.

Ole stretching marks with the sugar hold (and probably having a Hugh G. Rection the entire time) as thoroughly depicted with such glee in his book certainly ranks up there.

Just thought I'd jump in quickly on the CM Punk/Phil Brooks thing.

Feel free to now put me in the weird pile.

Punk called himself "Phil Brooks" on a television program. If he wanted people to not call him by his real name then he shouldn't be using his real name on TV. Plus, a week after he and Colt brought this up, he signs with UFC and is now known as Phil "CM Punk" Brooks.

Uhh.. so what exactly are they complaining about?

That's my angle in this whole thing.

Dude is inconsistent and being a fucking brat about the whole thing. Punk's fans are so blind to his faults that no one wants to admit his behavior in public is characteristic of someone who popular society might call an asshole.

Or his fans just think his expectation that the public not act like douchebags is perfectly reasonable.
  • Like 1

I'm always shocked when wrestling fans make the argument that it's just another show on TV and should be treated as such. If that's the standard, why watch? There's a lot better shit on TV right now that won't waste your time like WWE will if it's just another TV show.

I'm always shocked when wrestling fans make the argument that it's just another show on TV and should be treated as such. If that's the standard, why watch? There's a lot better shit on TV right now that won't waste your time like WWE will if it's just another TV show.

confused_christian_bale.gif

Am I alone in thinking this is the worst WrestleMania logo ever? 

wm31logo.png

I remember reading someplace that Vince no longer wants to use numbers for mania because it makes it sound old. Thus, we get a generic logo. 

Not my favorite Vinceism. That would be when Cesaro lost his first name because tough guys don't have names like Antonio. 

Am I alone in thinking this is the worst WrestleMania logo ever? 

wm31logo.png

It looks like WrestleMania: RedTube. 

ftfy... since we're all about to get fucked. 

• Like 8