DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Taz beating Mike Awesome for the title was a weird one to me. He drops the belt to Dreamer a week later (but not before showing up on Smackdown and losing to HHH) why not just have Dreamer take it from Awesome? Was there a reason for that, other than having Taz do it being a big F you to WCW?

Well Taz dropped the title to Mike Awesome, so on one hand you have Taz wanting to come back and do business "the right way," on the other you give Vince the opportunity to send one of his midcarders over to beat a WCW guy. 

Taz beating Mike Awesome for the title was a weird one to me. He drops the belt to Dreamer a week later (but not before showing up on Smackdown and losing to HHH) why not just have Dreamer take it from Awesome? Was there a reason for that, other than having Taz do it being a big F you to WCW?

I think it was also a case of everyone knowing that Awesome was going to be dropping the title, so for him to just lose straight up to Dreamer would be kind of a let-down for the crowd.  But bringing out Taz(z) caused the huge pop as people didn't know if he'd been released or what and take attention away from what could've been a particularly nasty and dangerous situation, given the level of lunkheadedness and inebriation of a good portion of ECW's audience.  This way, rather than having guys thinking about jumping the rail to go after Awesome or throw garbage or bottles at him, they were so busy marking out for Tazz that they forgot all about Awesome "selling out".

He couldn't afford to keep them at what they wanted so even if they went to WCW and didn't do the nWo, Vince had to change his own shit regardless. They weren't the machine they are now with all the different revenue streams that can prop them up during down times.

Yeah, but it was more of what WCW was offering as opposed to what Hall and Nash wanted. If WCW never offered the super big contracts, they don't jump from the WWF.

Or maybe they don't, and ECW's popularity surpasses them both

ECW didn't go past the goddamn northeast, or Philly if that. If it wasn't for that horribly panned Invasion angle, most wrestling fans wouldn't what the fuck ECW was. The only reason people some-fucking-how think ECW was successful in any sense was because they believe anything one of the biggest bullshitter the entertainment world has ever seen.

Is this trolling? Heyman took a bunch of hasbeens, neverweres, and a few under appreciated stars to PPV and national TV on a shoestring budget out of a dirty bingo hall. And this is when wrestling was hot, ppv meant something, and he got decent buyrates. I thoroughly disagree.

It's ebbie, it's either trolling or just the most embittered cynicism of someone who finds nothing enjoyable in wrestling & yet still hangs about a wrestling message board.

I just don't get how anyone, miserable or not, could view ECW as a regional failure. I think ROH and TNA are far more interesting discussions regarding failed opportunities considering their financial backing and lack of 2nd tier competition.

I started getting ECW on Prime Sports Network (airing on PASS out of Detroit) in '96, iirc.

Then Fox Sports bought Prime, and dropped ECW.  Then PASS picked it up on their own, not part of the Fox Sports package, and after about 3 months in 1997, it was back on again.  Until Fox Sports bought PASS and turned it into Fox Sports Detroit and again dropped ECW, at which point I didn't get it back until TNN.  It was in a crappy timeslot, but it was on.

And ECW on the Sunshine Network in Florida I think started in 95.  They were way beyond the Philly/New York market years before TNN (hell, they were selling ppvs nationally starting in 97.)

Why didn't Low-Ki work out in the WWE? I enjoyed his season of NXT and loved his partnership with LayCool. I know he's difficult to deal with but what was the exact story?

From what I recall, he came to the conclusion that they would never seriously push him. This came on the heels of him jobbing to Drew Mac in like 2 minutes on Smackdown. From there he asked for his release.

It's rumored he found out he was going to be fired, and the "asked for his release" story was put out to let him save face

(Whether that's true or not, I dunno.  It seems slightly more likely than quitting a job that pays better than anything else in your profession.  But, I can see ki thinking that it wasn't worth it and hoping he could get enough bookings in the indys and Japan to make out ok.  Might have worked out too if he wasn't so adept at burning bridges.)

Well, if we go by what DB said about his brief firing after NecktieGate, Indy-famous wrestlers like Ki make more money writing their own tickets than they do jerking the curtain for Vince.

Or maybe they don't, and ECW's popularity surpasses them both

ECW didn't go past the goddamn northeast, or Philly if that. If it wasn't for that horribly panned Invasion angle, most wrestling fans wouldn't what the fuck ECW was. The only reason people some-fucking-how think ECW was successful in any sense was because they believe anything one of the biggest bullshitter the entertainment world has ever seen.

Is this trolling? Heyman took a bunch of hasbeens, neverweres, and a few under appreciated stars to PPV and national TV on a shoestring budget out of a dirty bingo hall. And this is when wrestling was hot, ppv meant something, and he got decent buyrates. I thoroughly disagree.

It's ebbie, it's either trolling or just the most embittered cynicism of someone who finds nothing enjoyable in wrestling & yet still hangs about a wrestling message board.

I don't see ebbie as either trolling or cynical. I just see ebbie as having awful taste in wrestling.

• Like 1

It's not often that you can say you met Bret Hart and DDP in one night.  I was at the MCW show and it was pretty damn good.  The guys were very motivated (likely due to the legends) and it led to some pretty good stuff.  Bret was cool, and I talked to DDP a good bit about DDP Yoga.  Matt Hardy was there and it kind of dawned on me how awesome he's been lately.  He was fucked up a couple years ago and I couldn't care less about him.  But between his ROH run and the time or two I saw him in ECW, he's back to the Matt Hardy I like.  We talked for a while and he has that passion for the business again.  It's really cool to see him bounce back from years ago.  Good for him.

I'm watching the ROH TV show, and I don't know who Adam Cole or "Hanson" is, but all I can say is Cole is garbage and this Hanson dude is a beast. Someone tell me again why Adam Cole is one of the top prospects on the indies? He's boring as fuck.

Did the Young Bucks bring back the Superkick or what? There was like, 7 superkicks in this match. And a shining wizard. The match ended in a roll-up.

Fuck this.

Why didn't Low-Ki work out in the WWE? I enjoyed his season of NXT and loved his partnership with LayCool. I know he's difficult to deal with but what was the exact story?

From what I recall, he came to the conclusion that they would never seriously push him. This came on the heels of him jobbing to Drew Mac in like 2 minutes on Smackdown. From there he asked for his release.

It's rumored he found out he was going to be fired, and the "asked for his release" story was put out to let him save face

(Whether that's true or not, I dunno. It seems slightly more likely than quitting a job that pays better than anything else in your profession. But, I can see ki thinking that it wasn't worth it and hoping he could get enough bookings in the indys and Japan to make out ok. Might have worked out too if he wasn't so adept at burning bridges.)

Well, if we go by what DB said about his brief firing after NecktieGate, Indy-famous wrestlers like Ki make more money writing their own tickets than they do jerking the curtain for Vince.

Really? Things have changed then.

I remember when Punk first signed with Vince and Meltz or someone asked him in an interview what he would do if they (WWE) booked him like Shannon Moore?

Punk replied along the lines of "Suck it up and pay for my house in cash, like he did." implying that the money for jobbers was much better than anything on the indy market.

Low-Ki has admitted in shoots that he was released, ostensibly because they had decided that he wouldn't be pushed and didn't think he'd play well as a jobber.

Various things have happened to cut pay since Shannon Moore was around. 

You know.

I don't really have a problem with the Katie Vick deal. It wasn't particularly entertaining, but I didn't think it was as useless and embarassingly awful as Rosie/Trump fight or The giving birth to the hand shit. At least Trips was doing it to get in the head of his opponenet, and it's not like we were supposed to believe he fucked a real dead body.

When you take into account the general consensus of Mike Awesome at the time he debuted in WCW as a cant miss main event talent has anyone simularly situated been given such embarrassing go nowhere gimmicks practically right off the bat?