DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Goddamn Rodney Mack being a total badass and rushing through the pyro to jump Goldberg, only to get speared back through the pyro and killed dead in the ring is fucking amazing.

• Like 2

I love Goldberg. There I said it. I don't care who knows.

Is that still a negative thing on the internet? I thought at this point, everyone with any damn sense loved Goldberg. 

• Like 2

You missed the next segment where Teddy booked a six man rematch wit da UNDERTAKER.

Boy is that a way to kill someone's momentum...Mack losing his unbeaten streak on TV in 26 seconds is gross. The White Boy Challenge was great and Goldberg didn't need the win.

I love Goldberg. There I said it. I don't care who knows.

Is that still a negative thing on the internet? I thought at this point, everyone with any damn sense loved Goldberg. 

i've always hated Goldberg.

• Like 1

in the purist form Goldberg sucks. He only has two moves. He couldnt carry match and really couldnt work. But he captured every bodies imagination he was very unique he was a silent assassin he just went in Spear Jackhammer and thats it. it didnt have to say anything cuz he let his actions speak for him. Plus his entrance was like no one else's. It always reminded me of a boxing enterance. He was a bad mother fucker. The allure didn't last long but I i'd attribute that to being pushed too fast too soon. Plus tons of bad bookng. That being said when in there with some of the heavyweights he could be carried to good to great matches.

If the character can't survive Goldust else putting a wig on him, and Goldberg angrily gurning about it, it wasn't much of a character to begin with.

Why isn't it Golddust?  Maybe during the next World cup, Dustin can break out a soccer ref gimmick.  Goooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaal-dust

As has been said in the recent 'Wrestler of the Day' thread, the Goldust skit didn't harm him - not with the put-over job The Rock did for him (and Austin by proxy).

The problem was that he was there for a year, and didn't do enough to convince people that he might stay or could make a long-term career in WWE work. This limited what they could do with him.

Plus Jericho beat him in a backstage fight, which hurt his mystique a little bit to the internet fans and also hurt him in the eyes of Vince - he doesn't like the idea of his champs getting beaten up.

Goldberg in WCW was an unique thing that was never going to *quite* work in WWE in the same way. They rolled the dice on it, but I think they pretty much booked him okay.

As has been said in the recent 'Wrestler of the Day' thread, the Goldust skit didn't harm him - not with the put-over job The Rock did for him (and Austin by proxy).

The problem was that he was there for a year, and didn't do enough to convince people that he might stay or could make a long-term career in WWE work. This limited what they could do with him.

Plus Jericho beat him in a backstage fight, which hurt his mystique a little bit to the internet fans and also hurt him in the eyes of Vince - he doesn't like the idea of his champs getting beaten up.

Goldberg in WCW was an unique thing that was never going to *quite* work in WWE in the same way. They rolled the dice on it, but I think they pretty much booked him okay.

I hated that match with The Rock. Rock made him look like a complete goof for the entire match.

But I noticed a new gimmick name for him is "The Freedom Fighter" and I'm worried. It seems he wants to start introducing alittle bit of being an openly gay wrestler into his gimmick. Which COULD BE awesome. If it was handled with class and respect and avoiding stereotypes..... But then I remember this is WWE we're talking about.

Exactly.  WWE doesn't do nuance.  Remember, Hassan and Daivari started as Americans of Middle Eastern descent who were sick of being treated badly by other Americans post 9/11.  That was a pretty well thought out gimmick but it didn't take long for Vince or whoever just just say, "fuck it, make 'em terrorists!"

• Like 2

People (Nash) will always say that Goldberg was starting to get "Goldberg sucks" chants so the best thing to do wad end the streak. Do you think they could've ridden it out, put him over Nash, and keep him rolling until the fans fully turned on him and made the company into a "who can end this monsters reign?" Deal?