DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Liked Goldberg. Hated Gillberg.

Really hurt that he lost the EC match at SummerSlam 2003. Made no sense, especially with HHH hurt. That feud really dragged.

The only time I really hated the way they booked Goldberg was losing that match.  It really felt like another HHH power play.  I'm glad he got the title the following month, but still, he should've won the EC the way they booked him rolling through everyone in the match, only to lose the match.  Yes, I know HHH used the sledgehammer, but they should've just had him steamroll HHH too, and put him over like they did in WCW, at least for that one match.

• Like 1

#wrestlingfanproblems-

Going to a grocery store 10 minutes out of your way hoping to find a copy of the PWI 500 only to see it's not there

I haven't seen an issue of PWI "in the wild" in years. Do they even still sell it on newsstands?

I'm curious as to what percentage of wrestling fans are African Americans. I listened to two separate PW Torch podcasts today that were hosted by or majorly called by black folks. If it's high, you guys are severely underrepresented and I'm seeing what Mark Henry vented about. Any thoughts...don't want to do a racial poll, just curious as the last three events I went to were very white.

He was a total breath of fresh air in Global. He was such a great little punk. I think there was a tape floating around of him feuding with Jerry Lynn in Minnesota where he cut Lynn's hair to set up a hair vs. hair match. He sold pieces of Lynn's hair in baggies at a merch table.

#wrestlingfanproblems-

Going to a grocery store 10 minutes out of your way hoping to find a copy of the PWI 500 only to see it's not there

I haven't seen an issue of PWI "in the wild" in years. Do they even still sell it on newsstands?

I don't really go looking for it aside from this particular issue, but I've found it in this same store for the past few years.  This time I didn't even see any spots on the rack that looked like they might contain any wrestling magazines.

I'm curious as to what percentage of wrestling fans are African Americans. I listened to two separate PW Torch podcasts today that were hosted by or majorly called by black folks. If it's high, you guys are severely underrepresented and I'm seeing what Mark Henry vented about. Any thoughts...don't want to do a racial poll, just curious as the last three events I went to were very white.

This is going by my own personal experience of course, but I've always lived in/gone to school in cities that were probably 30%+ black and wrestling always seemed to be really popular with both that demographic and the hispanic crowds.  Just about all the coworkers I've had that I've been able to talk about wrestling with were either black or hispanic, though they pretty much only kept up with WWE.

QUESTION!

What was Sean Waltman's road to WWF? Where did that mystery kid come from?

Back in my tape trading days, I put together a video series with Sean Waltman titled This is Your Life. IIRC, he was trained by Boris Malenko in Florida. He ended up in Minnesota and was involved in an amazing feud with Jerry Lynn in the PWA.

He and Jerry both moved on to Global where Kid won the Light Heavyweight Title. Kid and Jerry feuded over the belt before Kid left the promotion. He started to get more work internationally including becoming a regular for Hamada's UWF in Japan. He also returned to the indies in Minnesota. His highest profile Indy match was with Sabu at the NWA Grandslam show in the Twin Cities. He was signed by the WWF not too long after that.

• Like 1

This over-the-top steel cage playset doubles as a gorilla cage and the gorilla escaped!

Sounds like it doesn't double as a good gorilla cage at all.

Those two open sides are a major design flaw.  Not unexpected considering Dr. Rand E. Orton is the zookeeper.  He's also wearing pants so he's completely out of his element.

I also want to see Ambrose vs. Rollins in a Bear In The Bank match.  The briefcase is in a bank vault and the winner is the guy who walks out with the briefcase but there's also a bear in the vault as well.

• Like 2

#wrestlingfanproblems-

They carry it at Barnes & Noble.

Why didn't Low-Ki work out in the WWE? I enjoyed his season of NXT and loved his partnership with LayCool. I know he's difficult to deal with but what was the exact story?

From what I recall, he came to the conclusion that they would never seriously push him. This came on the heels of him jobbing to Drew Mac in like 2 minutes on Smackdown. From there he asked for his release.