DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

IDK it'd be a different industry. Who knows if Stone Cold would be Stone Cold if the nWo never came to be.

The "Austin 3:16" promo predates the nWo by about a month or so. How Vince follows up on it without the nWo around would be interesting though.

ECW is still around though and the WWF was still doing shit business. Vince may have still gotten desperate.

Agreed. As "edgy" as the NWO was for WCW in 1996, even if Hall and Nash never jump, the big two would have no choice but to make their product a little more adult oriented. Or maybe they don't, and ECW's popularity surpasses them both.

On another note, has this been posted yet?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=knXJV9H0huo

He couldn't afford to keep them at what they wanted so even if they went to WCW and didn't do the nWo, Vince had to change his own shit regardless. They weren't the machine they are now with all the different revenue streams that can prop them up during down times.

So at work, I often interact with this gentlemen who is a little developmentally delayed. He is a super nice guy, and he loves wrestling, most notably John Cena. Today, he came in, and he was wearing that neon green John Cena "Never Give Up!" shirt from a few months ago. One of my co-workers started talking to him, and commented on his cool shirt. The gentlemen responded with something along the lines of "He's my favorite, he always tries hard, and he wins because he tries so hard". The co worker agreed and said that's why he liked him too. They parted company, and I later went up to my employee and we had this exchange:

JR: "I didn't know you liked pro wrestling."

Employee: "I don't, why?"

JR: "That conversation you had about his shirt. That's John Cena. You said you liked him too."

Employee: "John Cena? Shit, I thought it was Little Mac from Punch Out."

This is basically the perfect thing.

• Like 19

Or maybe they don't, and ECW's popularity surpasses them both

ECW didn't go past the goddamn northeast, or Philly if that. If it wasn't for that horribly panned Invasion angle, most wrestling fans wouldn't what the fuck ECW was. The only reason people some-fucking-how think ECW was successful in any sense was because they believe anything one of the biggest bullshitter the entertainment world has ever seen.

ECW didn't go past the goddamn northeast, or Philly if that. If it wasn't for that horribly panned Invasion angle, most wrestling fans wouldn't what the fuck ECW was. The only reason people some-fucking-how think ECW was successful in any sense was because they believe anything one of the biggest bullshitter the entertainment world has ever seen.

ECW had national television, and in this hypothetical world in which they are the only wrestling company embracing adult storytelling, the ratings for said national TV would have been high enough to warrant house shows in arenas outside of the east coast.

• Like 1

Is this trolling? Heyman took a bunch of hasbeens, neverweres, and a few under appreciated stars to PPV and national TV on a shoestring budget out of a dirty bingo hall. And this is when wrestling was hot, ppv meant something, and he got decent buyrates. I thoroughly disagree.

• Like 3

So at work, I often interact with this gentlemen who is a little developmentally delayed. He is a super nice guy, and he loves wrestling, most notably John Cena. Today, he came in, and he was wearing that neon green John Cena "Never Give Up!" shirt from a few months ago. One of my co-workers started talking to him, and commented on his cool shirt. The gentlemen responded with something along the lines of "He's my favorite, he always tries hard, and he wins because he tries so hard". The co worker agreed and said that's why he liked him too. They parted company, and I later went up to my employee and we had this exchange:

JR: "That conversation you had about his shirt. That's John Cena. You said you liked him too."

Employee: "John Cena? Shit, I thought it was Little Mike from Punch Out."

Ahem, "Little Mac". But that's an awesome story.

• Like 1

Employee: "John Cena? Shit, I thought it was Little Mike from Punch Out."

If this means Lesnar is Mike Tyson, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Just because Paul Heyman is a conman doesn't mean the company wasn't popular, particularity in places outside of the north east. I can attest to lots of fans in Kentucky even before they were on TNN.

I should probably just suspend you for being so blatantly ridiculous.

But that feeling might be just because some of you are being so dumb around here that I have pent up frustration I need to get out.

• Like 5

ECW operated well past the Northeast. They did a Heatwave PPV in California. I've been to a TV taping in Houston. They were expanding gradually.

I also remember them running ppv's in Chicago, Minneapolis, and Dayton, Ohio.

ECW operated well past the Northeast. They did a Heatwave PPV in California. I've been to a TV taping in Houston. They were expanding gradually.

That was in 2000 I'm assuming? I know it was so long ago but how was the atmosphere at an ECW show more specifically a latter day ECW show. 

At Heatwave 2000 in Los Angeles, it was interesting. Not the greatest show, but the atmosphere was fun, and that's not including the XPW stuff going on. I was in the line going in while Johnny Webb was telling XPW street team guys that no matter whatever happened, they were not to get involved.

That was in 2000 I'm assuming? I know it was so long ago but how was the atmosphere at an ECW show more specifically a latter day ECW show.

Yeah, 2000. It was the show that led to Mikey and Tajiri teaming up. It was also the only ECW show in Houston. The atmosphere was pretty much what you think it would be--I remember an "ECWECW" chant before the show even started, simply because an attractive woman in a low-cut shirt was bending over a lot as she was climbing over rows of empty seats.