DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I know he's reached savior status because of some good matches in front of a few hundred unpaid Orlandians, but I'm not convinced on Zayn. One of my favorites when I frequented Chikara, but his interviews are as bland as they come and mannerisms are goofy. Strikes me as IWC hype over NXT...

• Like 1

I think people pay to get into NXT.

To your point, I think Zayn has a helluva run in him as a heel. Some people think I'm nuts for saying that because they see him as a Steamboat/Morton type but I really think he has something special in him as a heel and since it's NXT and the entire purpose is to learn and try new things they should give it a shot before he comes up.

• Like 1

I don't think Zayn can't be a heel and I've seen him work as a (subtle) heel on the indies and he was good at it, but it's going to be impossible for people to boo him so it wouldn't be worth turning him at all.

It's similar to Bryan in that regard, we can all pretty much agree that Bryan is likely to be a face for the rest of his career despite having great ability to work as a heel. I think with Zayn it would be even moreso because he doesn't have the same ruthlessness as Bryan and he's flashier. Didn't Kurt Angle's rapist gimmick come because it was impossible for him to get heat because crowds loved him so much?

I don't think Zayn can't be a heel and I've seen him work as a (subtle) heel on the indies and he was good at it, but it's going to be impossible for people to boo him so it wouldn't be worth turning him at all.

It's similar to Bryan in that regard, we can all pretty much agree that Bryan is likely to be a face for the rest of his career despite having great ability to work as a heel. I think with Zayn it would be even moreso because he doesn't have the same ruthlessness as Bryan and he's flashier. Didn't Kurt Angle's rapist gimmick come because it was impossible for him to get heat because crowds loved him so much?

If Zayne went heel he would just be a monster badass.

The Mark Henry/Mae Young hand birth was pointlessly stupid,

Eh, Vince thought it had a point.  According to Meltzer (among others), it was part of Vince's effort to get out of Henry's contract.  Henry's initial 10 year deal was guaranteed (!) and Henry was a low workrate, overweight midcarder back then.  Allegedly, Mae Young and the other dumb stuff Henry was involved in back then was designed to embarass Henry into quitting (thereby voiding the contract).

I like Henry just for that (and not much else, tbh.  I did dig his heel ECW character for a while).

The idea of Low-ki being a happy smiling jobber amuses me way more than it should.

Blasphemy.

Also, I've heard that about the Vince thing but have no idea if there's any truth to it. I could also see it being a made up internet thing that has just enough reason behind it to convince people it's the truth.

Zayn's the best babyface in the WWE right now. Even better than Daniel Bryan. He's exactly what wrestling heroism should be about. He's a regular person with ambition to achieve in an industry filled with cut-throat people who lack morality. He knows what's right and wrong and chooses to do the right thing, even at the sacrifice of his career ambitions. Adrian Neville's still a face, but he's willing to bend the rules to stay the champion.

I haven't really watched any Generico. But Zayn's fantastic. He has great high spots (his floor/corner DDT thing is one of my all-time favorite moves) and sells incredibly well. He's a really good, confident promo.

I'm not against him going heel. Every good wrestler should be able to do both face and heel. But there's so much they can do with him as a face so the heel turn comes at the most dramatic possible moment. They're nowhere near there yet.

Zayn's interviews come off as him being a likeable, regular, maybe-slightly-nerdy dude. In other words, he speaks to what will be a large part of his fanbase quite well. 

Remember the Fappening? 

Nick Hogan is apparently now a victim.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/the-celebrity-hacking-leak-has-claimed-its-first-male-victim#2j57fom

Never have I been  so glad that pics embedded thusly do not display properly in Chrome.

praises,

RAF

• Like 3

Remember the Fappening? 

Nick Hogan is apparently now a victim.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/the-celebrity-hacking-leak-has-claimed-its-first-male-victim#2j57fom

Never have I been  so glad that pics embedded thusly do not display properly in Chrome.

praises,

RAF

It wouldn't surprise me if Nick purposely leaked his pics himself and tried to blame it on a "leak." I'm surprised the kid hasn't gone into wrestling and isn't down in NXT right now. 

but his interviews are as bland as they come and mannerisms are goofy. Strikes me as IWC hype over NXT...

Agreed. I know it's the huge minority and not popular opinion around here but I can't stand him. Good wrestler yes but all I ever read is about how "likable" he is but I think he often comes off as obnoxious and smug as they come. Grates on me similar to how Jay Lethal has before. And there's definitely ridiculous overhype about him very often.

I like the idea of some big Legends tag where Sting, Taker, Angle, Austin and a couple of others have one final go round and then absolutely never wrestle again. But I just don't see an opponent for Austin that would work as a big comeback feud.

People may forget that Taker's only non-Wrestlemania match since.....the last Kane feud (?) was against Dean Ambrose.

An angle where none of the roster want to deal with Ambrose so he drafts in Taker, Sting, Austin and Bret Hart to face The Authority or somesuch could work really well.

Having already been using Smokey Mountain Wintergreen Herbal Snuff, the Smokey Mountain and Shawn Michaels’ partnership is a natural fit. With a lifestyle dedicated to health and fitness, Michaels found Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff to be a great tobacco-free and nicotine free alternative to smokeless tobacco.

“Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff has been a great product that I’ve incorporated into my life,” Michaels said. "As someone who has spent their life and career dedicated to staying healthy, as well as being cognizant of what I put in my body, Smokey Mountain fits into that category perfectly.”

variouslaughingmemes.gif

Having already been using Smokey Mountain Wintergreen Herbal Snuff, the Smokey Mountain and Shawn Michaels’ partnership is a natural fit. With a lifestyle dedicated to health and fitness, Michaels found Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff to be a great tobacco-free and nicotine free alternative to smokeless tobacco.

“Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff has been a great product that I’ve incorporated into my life,” Michaels said. "As someone who has spent their life and career dedicated to staying healthy, as well as being cognizant of what I put in my body, Smokey Mountain fits into that category perfectly.”

variouslaughingmemes.gif

He will lose a few teeth in his smile from dipping that stuff.

Where is this talk of Austin's return stemming from?

Austin is getting into shape and just recently, the WWE has been pimping out his podcast on RAW while Austin shills the Network.

These small things along with newz reports of the WWE printing new or vintage Austin shirts to sell soon have got people all screwy.