DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

The odds of success in any creative field are so slight nowadays, man, and I applaud your choice to join us working joes.  As I get older, I see all entertainment industries becoming so homogenized that there's really no room or even a desire for creativity or fresh voices.  The money people in music, film, literature, etc have become so risk averse that they will only bet on a sure thing most of the time.  So unless you're writing another teen dystopian YA novel or a 50 Shades ripoff, the odds of making a real career in writing are so slim, it's laughable.  Ditto music, TV, etc.  Nobody wants "the first" something, the just want "the next..."  They already have people shoveling exactly the crap that needs to be made to get their expected ROI, why do they need anyone else?

TLDR version: there's no more money in entertainment so good on ya.  Make cash at a job you're not emotionally-invested in, then spend it on enjoying life.

Yeah, I'm gonna start looking for something outside of writing as well. I have to be realistic about it. It's a hard thing to get into and unless you're funding your own stuff the chances of getting into something big are slim and none these days.

Saw a guy filling up a car with the registration DV10RCE. Asked him if he was a lawyer. He said "For my sins, I am".

Funny way of putting it.

• 2 weeks later...

So we got ourselves a new kitten, a 9-week old named Rogue. So of course when we bring her home to our grizzled old 8-year-old, he doesn't exactly warm up to her. I know there are many cat owners among our ranks, so I was wondering if there was any way we could make the transition a little less stressful for all of us.

So we got ourselves a new kitten, a 9-week old named Rogue. So of course when we bring her home to our grizzled old 8-year-old, he doesn't exactly warm up to her. I know there are many cat owners among our ranks, so I was wondering if there was any way we could make the transition a little less stressful for all of us.

Best way is to introduce them slowly to each other.

Feed them at the same time and in relatively close proximity to each other. The older one may hiss a few times but will get over it.

One of our two youngest managed to get herself pregnant just before our appointment to get her fixed, so we have four kittens to give away. All of the other cats stop and hiss at the cage as they walk by. One of boys ran away from home in protest... Whenever something upsets him he goes back to our old place about five blocks from here... Our old neighbors call us when they see him and let him dine with their cats... We give it a couple of days and then go pick him up... I'm sure he thinks that his replacement is in the cage, he was a stray and about six-seven months old when we got him, so he tends to be rather insecure. He had fits of jealousy all three times that we brought  home new family members.  Then he warmed up to them and for months he could be counted on to sleep with his younger "brothers" and he brings stuff to the two younger females (by "stuff" I mean everything from sticks that I guess look interesting to him, to dead birds and live lizards). The latter is by far the favorite, he brings them into the house and then sits there and watches while the two girls chase them.

Both our cats graze at their food; it sits in the bowl for them to come over and have what they want. The old one, Sebastian, is declawed (not on our accord), but he had a hissing incident at a feral hanging around outside our window and he bit and scratched my wife pretty bad a few weeks ago. We're worried that given the chance he'd hurt her or worse.

As it is, we keep Sebastian in the master bedroom with his food, water, and litter box when we're not home or we're sleeping, but let him out when we're home.

Yesterday was a lot easier; he hissed a few times, but a quick blast with a spray bottle of water calms him down and he's learned to be at least civil when we're around, but I don't want to chance him shredding her up when we're not looking.

We have this gray cat that was foisted upon by my sister-in-law back last december. His name is Smokey and he is a total dick. He eats the other cat's food and smacks the dog around. He is also always trying to escape the house any chance he gets. This is a concern because he is declawed. The last few times he has gotten out he has come back home with nasty scabs. Some of these are pussie and so we have to hold him down and squeeze on the wound to get the gunk out before we can clean it properly. We basically have to wrap him in a blanket so he doesn't flail while we do this.

We have tried asking friends to take him in but no one wants him sadly. The sister-in-law will not take him back. I'm really tired of the dog looking at me with sad eyes after everytime she gets smacked around by this feline terror. We're not sure about a no kill shelter because he is an older cat and are afraid no one will take him. So for now we are trapped with this feline dick... guess we just need to make the best of it.

James 

You ever get that feeling you're just starting to tire from treading water for so long?

backstory - I work as a customer facing support desk manager for a pharma doc handling company.

Workforce has recently been reduced by 33%

some of our clients studies have come up for audit and inspection. So we received 100+ individual emails with over 30 changes to make on each.

Over and above the normal workload of emails we receive.

Yeah, we're starting to struggle and when it's brought up to the management team its a case of "oh well, deal, but keep within SLA".

Yeah - has to be 5pm somewhere.

I work in a plant that makes APIs and had to sit through GMP document training today even though I don't create, handle, or review GMP documents in my position.  Pharma documentation is so mind-numbing.

The wifey and I have been talking about moving away from the Northeast, and these winters, for years now, and it just might happen. The only thing keeping us here is her not wanting to move away from her family. But her father retires soon, and he isn't in any hurry to stay around either. So, if the stars all align, we'll be headed for Forth Worth, TX next year. Less than an hour away from AT&T Stadium, and only a couple of hours away from Norman, OK where the Sooners play. My boss assured me that I'll be kept on as a satellite employee, which is a huge relief.

But, I'm not exactly keen on being thirty-three years old and having to make new friends. I'm sure I can just find the local craft beer bar, hit up some rassiln' shows, and find the local comics shop, and meet some like-minded people. But the idea of being in my thirties and being all "Wanna be friends and hang out?" isn't too appealing.

The wifey and I have been talking about moving away from the Northeast, and these winters, for years now, and it just might happen. The only thing keeping us here is her not wanting to move away from her family. But her father retires soon, and he isn't in any hurry to stay around either. So, if the stars all align, we'll be headed for Forth Worth, TX next year. Less than an hour away from AT&T Stadium, and only a couple of hours away from Norman, OK where the Sooners play. My boss assured me that I'll be kept on as a satellite employee, which is a huge relief.

But, I'm not exactly keen on being thirty-three years old and having to make new friends. I'm sure I can just find the local craft beer bar, hit up some rassiln' shows, and find the local comics shop, and meet some like-minded people. But the idea of being in my thirties and being all "Wanna be friends and hang out?" isn't too appealing.

Have some kids.  That wipes out all the time you would have for friends.  LOL.  I'm in a similar boat.  Leaving NYC next year.  Have family and 1 friend in Philadelphia, so hopefully it eases us in a bit.   

Have some kids.  That wipes out all the time you would have for friends.  LOL.  I'm in a similar boat.  Leaving NYC next year.  Have family and 1 friend in Philadelphia, so hopefully it eases us in a bit.   

I have two awesome little girls ages three and five.

Ask him? Seriously, if you're concerned, send the man a note telling him he's missed. He'll either choose to respond (or not), but at least you reached out. It may be nothing more than the fact that he's of an age where pet projects assume far more importance then they've held in the past. It's a realization your own mortality thing...  

One of the professors in our building has suddenly retired.  I worry about him.  He's 68 years old and in pretty bad shape.  He's single with no children and his brother lives in the Philadelphia area, if memory serves.  I'm wondering what happened to cause him to leave so soon.

I knew that Bruce Hornsby was a musician. I was aware of his existence. Something made me YouTube his hits last night. It turns out that no less than six of his songs have been playing on the satellite-fed music at the two companies that I've worked for in the last 10 years. I could never have imagined that all of those awful syncopated piano white guy blues-pop songs were the same person, but it all makes sense. He has essentially been the soundtrack to my life for a decade and I had no idea. It's unnerving that I've spent literally hours of my life with Mandolin Rain and Every Little Kiss (among others) being inflicted on me.

Ask him? Seriously, if you're concerned, send the man a note telling him he's missed. He'll either choose to respond (or not), but at least you reached out. It may be nothing more than the fact that he's of an age where pet projects assume far more importance then they've held in the past. It's a realization your own mortality thing...  

One of the professors in our building has suddenly retired.  I worry about him.  He's 68 years old and in pretty bad shape.  He's single with no children and his brother lives in the Philadelphia area, if memory serves.  I'm wondering what happened to cause him to leave so soon.

Well, to expand on this--apparently his departure wasn't health related (though the man is pretty frail).  Apparently, there was a complaint of sexual harrassment from a student.  What I thought had been sick days were actually two days of investigation. He was pretty much told to take an early retirement.

I knew he had flirted with/possibly dated students in the past--which, obviously, is a no-no. I don't know the entire story, but I can see a scenario where he said something and the student was uncomfortable.  Another professor in the building was fired for the same thing several years ago, though everyone knew the previous professor was way too flirtatious/handsy wtih students (and I 99% guarantee he was sleeping with a few).

Just a weird week at work.