DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Hey! So the director they kept got a job in Nashville, so they've asked me back.  This is in the "meh" note because my vacation and such is starting over from scratch.  Here's hoping the station doesn't shut down completely before I find a job!

Do you get to keep your severance package?

Hey, maybe you can get two severance packages!

I get paid for my vacation, but my "seniority" resets, so 2 weeks of vaca instead-of 4, and if they shut the place down I don't get the 4.5 months of severance (though that seems wrong based on what the GM said, so we'll see about that)

I am now frantically trying to get hired at a tour bus company before I start back at the station so I can do the training and such under my severance (because I'm super-wishy-washy about decisions affecting myself)

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
Get Off My Lawn -- 40 Points
Hear a song released in 1991 on the local "classic rock" radio station

("Losing My Religion" by R.E.M., if you were wondering.)

I heard "Runaway Train" on the local classic rock station the other day and it just about broke me the combination of actually hearing that song on the radio and the depressing realization that it's now considered classic rock.

Oh come on now. When that shit was fresh the classic rock station was playing Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and they were comparatively not as old as "Enter Sandman" and "Losing My Religion" are now.

Well, you see, uh....

On one hand, I was not listening to the radio but rather streaming music on my phone while driving home today.

On the other, the music I was streaming was Merle Haggard, so... 

Y'all were way more creative with childhood nicknames than we were. There was "Shitty Nick," who got his name after he shit his pants in the 4th grade bc he refused to leave the showing of the Mighty Ducks. That one stuck with him. There was "Big Nick", because he looked like King King Bundy with sandy blonde hair. Later on we added Chris 212, because he ate 212 chicken nuggets at the chik Fil A dwarf house on "All you can eat" nugget night. Brandon was Big Pound, because he was a road grader extraordinaire on the football field. I started out as Andy switch, because I could switch hit in high school baseball, but then I speared a snot-nosed pimply little sharecropper's son from a rival school who was trying to steal our school spirit flag (again, small town GA) during a basketball game. The place went nuts, I got arrested and after that I was "Drewberg."

• Like 1

My nickname from school slowly morphed into being Veal. It started with my elementary gym teacher always saying Fowlerville (which is a town in Michigan) instead of just Fowler, at some point my friends adopted and shortened it to Ville, and then the pronounciation just kinda slipped into Veal.

We had Moo, W, G-Train, Shitty, and probably a few other people with nicknames.

the only nickname that ever got assigned in my friend group through my life was Stupid Chris. you may think that's a mean thing to call someone, but the last I've heard from Stupid Chris is that he got drunk and jealous, got his ass kicked -baaaaad- by his pregnant ex-girlfriend, and is currently homeless in Florida. I don't know what else you're supposed to call someone like that, especially if you know more than one Chris.

• Like 1

My abilities as a touch football quarterback and three point threat on the basketball court, despite my ineptitude in all other athletic endeavors, caused a classmate to remark it must have been because of my "chubby fingers".

It's hard to impress girls when you drain a three and the entire bench of the 7th grade boys basketball teams starts a " chubby fingers!" chant.

• Like 1

My friends in high school included a guy named Pat, a dude whose last name was Erdman, a guy named Chris, a day a guy named Eric B.

Nicknames? Shitbitch, Erd , Duke, and Rakim. I have no idea where the first and third ones came from. The others, I hope, are fairly obvious.

Then there's me - been called Tabe since I was about 8 as a takeoff of my last name. Still get called it all the time, even at work by my boss. Also sometimes called Hurricane - basically, that came after an insulting email exchange with some friends where I was referred to a hurricane - full of hot air and people run from me. Next day, I come in and had a new name tag on my cubicle wall. 10 years later, I still have that name tag :)

As a radio guy, I'm a professional nickname. You may refer to me as "Dr. Nick Redbone." That was actually an air name that was decided by committee. Three of us came up with different parts. Meanwhile, the only high school nickname I had came from a really uncreative P.E. teacher who called me "Rambo."

I have more nicknames for people I work with that I don't like than I do my old friends lol.

For example, we have this guy named Shelbie who has apparently never taken a shower because he smells like straight ass. I call him Swampie...as in swampass.

There is also our manager, who moved from a smaller store to ours and hasn't a clue as to what he is doing. We call him Stone Cold. The name has nothing to do with his abilities...it's just that he looks like a very low rent Steve Austin.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
Get Off My Lawn -- 40 Points
Hear a song released in 1991 on the local "classic rock" radio station

("Losing My Religion" by R.E.M., if you were wondering.)

I'll see you that and raise you one. Over here, the American Forces Network has put most of their stations online for people to listen to. One of the channels is called AFN Legacy, which is supposed to be the "classic rock" station. Turned it on a while back and the first song I heard was "Lightning Crashes." That song hit the charts about three months before I graduated from high school.

Made me feel fucking old, I can tell you that.

We gave nicknames to just about everyone. I'll start the list, knowing full well that I'll probably leave about half off:

Pudd, Headly, Flinch, Beezer, Freak-Boy, Bucktooth, Fats (short for Fat-Ass), Satanic Fire, Numbnuts, Jizz, Face, Monkey Girl (that one's mean), Hot Shit, Blunderball (the quarterback, of course), Flatface, Wirenut, Dumbass, Muffin-Ass, Space, Crank, Taco, Baseball Boy, Li'l Lar, Vanilla Dylan (or VD for short), Fuckstick, Whackjob ... yeah, I'm sure there are tons more.