DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

I was filling up the pop at work, and I notived all of the Mountain Dew bottles said 'Mao' on the lid. I wondered why that might be, possibly because they were big fans of Chinese communist leaders. And then I realised it was just the word 'Dew' upside down.

Not good. Not bad. Just stuff.

• Like 1

So here comes a lot of stuff.

This past week has been...emotional, to say the least. highs and lows even out to a "phew, thank fuck thats over"

I may have talked about this before, but my cousin was admitted, at the back end of last year to a residential care in glasgow to deal with anorexia. When she was at her lightest she weighed 5 stone (70lbs, for those who dont care about a royal baby, what her name is, or how much her first poop weighed)

Suffice to say, Red took this fairly hard, as my cousin has been the shining light of the family - academically a genius; scarily so...and just an all round badass motherfucker.

She got out at easter with a firm meal plan and her "bible" on how to live with anorexia. we were all set for a week daaaaaaaaahn saaaaaaaaaaaarf (she's in glasgow, I'm just outside london village) to see if she could survive without her parents standing over her watching what she ate.

End result was a resounding...meh. Fair to middling.

I was prepared (having naively read up on anorexia and its firm grip on a sufferer's mental acuity) to try and encourage her to eat. She ate full portions when she was down here of all meals. She was mainlining caffeine, which is a cardinal sin, as its a diuretic, so we switched to decaf tea...

But things like snacks, or treats, were balked at every occasion. which just showed me how far she has go to go...the relationship between "I'm down on energy, I'm tired = I must eat" hasnt been formed for her. She's using food as a function to survive, not as a means to thrive. She was complaining of being tired at 430 every day so she'd have a fruit bar or piece of toast...I asked why not two bars or a piece of toast and a piece of fruit...I was looked at as if I were an alien. It dawned on me then that while she looks okay (BMI is perfect, and you wouldnt know by looking at her that she was nearly dead and in need of 24/7 care six months ago) she is so far from good in her own head that its frightening.

The shopping trip was nothing short of a disaster. Zeidler saw my joking tweet about me being a bag boy for the day. But she didnt buy a single thing. only tried on one top. This was a girl who three years ago made me walk around a topshop (think upmarket target) for three hours in london village, while she tried on just under 75 pieces of clothing, buying 20. The change was dramatic and worrying. She didn't want to try anything on that showed off any part of her apart from her arms and neck/head. She must have some sort of body dysmorphia scaling from the fact that she thinks she's still fat.

The cause, of which, I found out, made my fucking blood boil. In summer 2012, she started a relationship a man. She was 16, going on 17 and he was 32. She was in love, he (according to her anyway) loved her back. But he had a funny way of showing it. Calling her "chunkers" for one. Telling her she wasnt worthy. Boiling down to physical, emotional, and mental abuse. Wich sent her into the hospital in the first place. He then summarily dropped all contact and went back t live his life with his wife and unborn child. Needless to say, I, and my uncle murray (her father) would quite like to meet this individual. Preferably, with a pack of rabid dobermans, who've been fed nothing but yogurt and a slice of bacon for the past week. See how fast he can run, maybe. The one shining light from this was that she also saw her on/off man for what he was.

a cunt.

She broke up with him on Wednesday evening...over the phone, in my utility room. So now, I've got a hormonal depressed 19 year old girl, away from her parents for the first time in six months, after being in hospital for a serious medical condition. so what do i do? Phone her mum and dad and ask her what her favourite drink is, if she's allowed to have some, then give the phone to her while she talks with her parents and I go and get some Malibu and diet coke. We then spent the next three hours cutting him to shreds, i spent a good hour apologising for my gender (you fuckers owe me) and then we watched James Corden do his late show stuff.

A veritable "mixed bag" week...

But the good parts? Fantastic. To see her smile again, to allow her to catch up with my sister and mum. Seeing her play with caitlyn...build a new train track. help her with potty time. help her with eating. Those are the memories I'll cherish. You'll do fine, Lorna Bee. Keep at it, girl. And stop with the fucking "cheerleader" song.

Now, anyone fancy a pint?

• Like 7

I don't expect much for me locally (deep in central rural Alberta it's almost a given PC wins here), but I'm very curious how this plays out. The advance polls have seen much more activity than in recent memory. Alberta generally has frightfully poor turnout numbers. At least people actually seem prepared to put in their voice again.

I don't expect much for me locally (deep in central rural Alberta it's almost a given PC wins here), but I'm very curious how this plays out. The advance polls have seen much more activity than in recent memory. Alberta generally has frightfully poor turnout numbers. At least people actually seem prepared to put in their voice again.

Wow, an NDP majority in Alberta! (That's a leftist party winning in what is essentially the Texas of Canada, to give you non-Albertans some context.) What kind of bizarro world have we found ourselves in??

• Like 1

While I was out at the Polling Station, someone posted an election leaflet through my door. So that's One Lib Dem leaflet, one UKIP,one independent, nothing from the Conservatives, and seven from Labour. They really want this seat back (2010 was a bit of an aberration; It was Labour for decades before).

NDP government, Flames won a playoff game over Anaheim, and it snows that very night even though it's May.

Yes. It's official.

Hell has froze over.

If you had worked in poutin or Tim Hortons this would have been the most Canadian post ever.

I don't want to put this in the bad news thread, because thinking about him brings me such joy.  I lost my Uncle Chuck a couple of weeks ago.  He had been battling heart problems for a few years, and we were all glad that he wasn't suffering through all the bypasses and medications anymore, despite how sad we felt about the loss.  The reason I bring it up, is because I've been thinking about a lot of things in my life that I enjoy, or morals and things I do that are because of him.  I always had a rocky relationship with my dad, especially as I got older, but Uncle Chuck was alwas kinda like the dad I wish I had.  I spent a ton of time in that household, since my cousins were the closest thing I had to brothers.  Because of my uncle and cousins, I became a wrestling fan.  I became a fan of athletics and sports.  My favorite teams were because of him.  I grew up loving the Braves and Alabama football.  When I was watching the Celtics-Cavs games, all I could think about was how much he loved the Celtics and Larry Bird when I was a kid.

They were/are a religious family, and even though I'm very much not religious, I always felt welcomed in the home.  They loved me all the same.  Sure, I got a lot of attempts at "converting" me, and still do from my cousin, but I felt like I belonged otherwise. He was a major smartass, but in the fun way. He was a major smartass, but in the fun way.  Much of my smartass sense of humor and corny jokes came from him. I think more than anything, Chuck was just a really good man, and someone that I feel like, if I ever had a family, he's the type of dad I would be.

• Like 2

Haven't heard anything, but our very own SuperApe went under the knife today, so let's all wish him a speedy recovery and a quick return to our rasslin home away from home.

Hope you are on the mend, Rob!

• Like 7

Well, I just started back at my old job, and he took it as my not wanting to be there 100%

Good reason to not have your boss on your social media.
  • Like 1

I know this isn't a shock - but people really like to complain just to have things to complain about.

I had to look up the office hours for my leasing office and of course I started seeing Google reviews so I clicked on them just for the hell of it.

Of course - 3/4 are people being all TOO MANY HIDDEN FEES!!!! RENT IS TOO HIGH!!!

And I am like - everything they are complaining about was explained up front before your signed the lease. It was your choice to still sign it. I don't know how they are "hidden" fees. 

I keep thinking about that line from the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight - the only reason people spent $100 is so they could bitch about spending $100

Exactly. My doc who is Filipino is of course a big Packy fan, he went on a veritable tirade about how outrageous it was that he and his buddy had to pony up fifty bucks each to watch the fight. I gently pointed out that he's not exactly at the lower end of the economic spectrum and that what he's paying for the fight basically equals what I'm (well, Medicare actually) is paying him for the twenty minutes I spend every three months to assure the DEA that I still have a bad back and still require a scrip for narcotics. I asked him what he thought about Manny's chances and he admitted as I did that they were slim to none. So the question why the hell are you paying fifty bucks to see a fight where you can be pretty much assured that your guy is going to lose? Easy, so you have something to bitch about for the next month... I'm as big a fan of Manny as anyone and I'll admit that even five years ago he couldn't hit Floyd with two handfuls of rice and he's obviously lost half a step since then. I'm not going to pay a hundred bucks to watch this and I don't know any friends who are foolish enough to spend fifty bucks to split the cost.  The only way I'd pay to see this is with a group where we all kick in twenty bucks to cover the cost of pizza and the PPV.

I know this isn't a shock - but people really like to complain just to have things to complain about.

I had to look up the office hours for my leasing office and of course I started seeing Google reviews so I clicked on them just for the hell of it.

Of course - 3/4 are people being all TOO MANY HIDDEN FEES!!!! RENT IS TOO HIGH!!!

And I am like - everything they are complaining about was explained up front before your signed the lease. It was your choice to still sign it. I don't know how they are "hidden" fees. 

I keep thinking about that line from the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight - the only reason people spent $100 is so they could bitch about spending $100

Our vet just suggested we put our dog on Prozac. She's been weird about walks lately. She's done sit-down strikes for our dog walker lately and/or runs home when hearing a loud noise.

We are not putting our dog on Prozac.