DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

A few years ago, I went to the PA Renaissance Fare with some friends.

There is about a two-mile long stretch from the highway to the Ren Fare parking lot.

Along the way, a woman was parked on the shoulder of the road. She had a flat tire.

A man dressed as a knight was changing the tire for her.

Chivalry's not dead.

• Like 1

Nicely done, Mike! I knew that you would land on your feet, but this is really exceptionally good news 5 MONTHS of severance? As Ron Simmons would say, "Damn!"

As you may have seen in the "SON OF A~!" thread, my station is going through some upheavals that basically involve shutting down almost the entire news operation.  Today I was told that I'm going to be part of the layoffs, BUT I get 5 MONTHS of severance pay, plus the three weeks of vacation I've accrued but haven't used yet.

As you may have seen in the "Really swell news" thread, I'm up for a job at a local PBS station, for which I have an interview next Monday at 1:00PM.  If I'm offered said job, I will be making the equivalent of $30/hour until August 17th, when my severance runs out.  It may not seem like a lot to some people, but in local TV you'd be hard pressed to make 1/2 that even after 20 years in the industry. *cough*

It was super fun to tell the GM that I'm going to be fine because I've got another job in the hopper :)

Lots of good vibes please!

Heard this today from a co-worker:

Some friends of ours had their 5th baby in 6 years. They named the baby "Camzin" because "the Devil will hate that name and leave her alone."

...I have so many questions, none of which I think I want the answer to.

As a longtime lurker I mostly stuck to the wrestling/movie threads. I've more recently looked in threads like "Son of a..." and I've seen so many posters that have made me laugh and made great insights here that are dealing with heavy stuff. It reminds me that there are real people behind the user names. I'm appreciative that people dealing with stress, illness and heartbreak go on with good humor and make funny and interesting posts that entertain me while I deal with my own stuff. To everyone on the board, whatever you're going through I wish you the best.

• Like 2

I'm reading Sarah Jeong's reporting on the Silk Road trial, specifically the DEA agents who were embezzling bitcoins from and faking murders from the guy running it and I came across this tidbit:

Under the handles “Nob” and “French Maid,” [DEA Agent Mark] Force sold DPR information that he had supposedly acquired from a corrupt government agent, while under the handle “Death from Above,” he used information from inside the investigation to extort DPR for bitcoins.

I knew that guy was shady.

Read the whole thing, because it is batshit crazy.

• Like 1

During my all too short, three day vacation in Orlando last week, my poor legs got destroyed by mosquitoes. They look like they went through a wood chipper. Hopefully after finishing this box of Benadryl in a couple of days, I'll be good to go...

Why is it that the hood rat girls I treat less than excellently (not out of malice or anything, I just knew it was going nowhere) text me off the hook months and months later, but the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, who I was a total gentleman with, randomly stops texting me out of nowhere?? Maybe that asshole from VH1 with the furry hat was right.

I'm reading Sarah Jeong's reporting on the Silk Road trial, specifically the DEA agents who were embezzling bitcoins from and faking murders from the guy running it and I came across this tidbit:

Under the handles “Nob” and “French Maid,” [DEA Agent Mark] Force sold DPR information that he had supposedly acquired from a corrupt government agent, while under the handle “Death from Above,” he used information from inside the investigation to extort DPR for bitcoins.

I knew that guy was shady.

Read the whole thing, because it is batshit crazy.

I RAGRET NO THING

• Like 1

Hahah be flattered, man! Nothing personal, of course. If anything, it's just astonishing to me how long it took me to actually get an account here. I came up with that joke in a high school study hall, IIRC, and I wasn't able to receive the account validation e-mail until like a year or two ago

I'm not a big "social media drama" person as you guys probably know but I wanted to share this here:

I lost a friend yesterday.

Not literally - a Facebook friend. In the course of a discussion on a very controversial in-the-news topic, I made a rather innocuous comment for which I was chastised by my friend for possibly misdirecting the discourse. OK, fine. Shortly thereafter, another person said a certain group of people were "not human" and "should be exterminated". I was more than a little surprised at these awful statements - they were not said in jest or humor but were, in fact, serious statements - and awaited the sure-to-come comment from my friend. After all, she chastised me for nothing, surely she'd call out her other friend for asking for genocide?

Silence.

So I contacted my friend and told her I was disappointed she'd ignored the repugnant comments from her friend. She sent me two responses? The first was essentially "aw shucks, that's just Bob (not his real name)". I've never bought into that kind of logic - it basically says it's ok to be awful so long as you're awful A LOT. That makes no sense whatsoever. The second response? "I like Bob and I'm not disappointed in him". Oh, I see. You're "not disappointed" when your friend calls for the extermination of an entire group of people. Sure thing.

Her responses bothered me. A lot. This person was an educator for decades, somebody who has often expressed calls for tolerance and love - worthy things! So her non-response bothered me. You see, I can't be around people who would call for the extermination of others. My friends simply wouldn't do that. And I can't be around people who are "not disappointed" when their friends call for extermination like that. You may be "not disappointed" in your friend but I sure am disappointed in your non-response and apparent acquiescence and agreement with that awful sentiment.

And, so, I unfriended my friend.

:(

• Like 1

So, I work for an internet retailer, and among other things, we sell bathroom fixtures. As part of a skills assessment for prospective new hires, we ask them to locate the most expensive toilet on our site.

This person answered "The <Model X> shower faucet, and if shower faucets don't count, <Model Y> toilet."

..."if" shower faucets don't count?

IF?

Disgusted+faces+thread+mfw+i+hear+kids+w

• Like 4