DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

So, I have one weekly meeting for my team. It's usually a half-hour long, never more than an hour, and it's always the same time and day, Thursday at 1pm.

Today someone learned that when I said "Anyone more than five minutes late has to sing karaoke in front of the group", I wasn't fucking kidding.

We got treated to a very bad rendition of Ring of Fire, and I have kept the audio recording.

• Like 2

So a guy I've known for over 30 years dating back to summer camp has this on his wall. Literally back to back posts. (Names hidden because I don't want to embarrass the guy.)

gopwhoosh_zps2tkn0vsx.jpg

I can't even.

OTOH, I had another friend tell me how much she enjoys my Facebook posts because it means there are still good people out there. Checks and balances, I guess...

• Like 1

The drummer we fired (see an earlier post in this thread) was a HARD right (like Alex Jones level right) winger. We just learned over the years to A) not discuss politics around him and B) shut him down by ignoring him when he started. Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives...

My bar manager used to be in a band where the lead singer was a Flat Earther. You know: people who believe the world is really flat and the sky is a giant LED screen and there's no such thing as space exploration. The guy is the nicest dude you'll ever meet, but don't get him started...and never talk to his weird Flat Earth friends about ANYTHING.

So, I have one weekly meeting for my team. It's usually a half-hour long, never more than an hour, and it's always the same time and day, Thursday at 1pm.

Today someone learned that when I said "Anyone more than five minutes late has to sing karaoke in front of the group", I wasn't fucking kidding.

We got treated to a very bad rendition of Ring of Fire, and I have kept the audio recording.

But doesn't this also have the effect of punishing those people who were on time?

Ryan's got it. I don't want to dig into the realm of ACTUAL punishment (e.g write-ups) but at the same time I'm sick of having to either delay the start or the meeting or resummarizing for the late people.

As for who is really being punished, it depends on whether or not you've got some performers' gene in you. Even decent singers can get mortified having to do it in front of a group. On the flip side this wouldn't work on me, as I'd happily get up and sing, never mind that I'm crap at it.

I've only got one of those on my team, and he's never been one of the late ones.

Ryan's got it. I don't want to dig into the realm of ACTUAL punishment (e.g write-ups) but at the same time I'm sick of having to either delay the start or the meeting or resummarizing for the late people.

Why are you doing either of those things? Start on time and ignore those coming late.

Then it's time to come up with a legit punishment for being late. If people can show up late, still get all the info, with no other actual consequences, something isn't right. Not to mention it's a little disrespectful to those who do show up on time.

But doesn't this also have the effect of punishing those people who were on time?
It also wastes time and reinforces the idea that the meeting itself isn't important.

Taking these all in no particular order:

Northern California tech company with a corporate structure. I report to a director, who reports to a VP. My boss is aware of my propensity for this sort of thing, and tolerates it because I know the boundaries. Yes we have an HR department, though they're the craziest folks in the building. I got this idea from one of our recruiters who would sometimes ask a candidate what their favorite karaoke song was to loosen them up in interviews.

Authority-wise I can't actually REQUIRE anyone to sing, and I expressly noted this to them, but anyone who prefers a write-up and all that entails (harder to get promotions, more likely to get let go,) is welcome to take that route. Personally I'd rather not, but it's their choice.

If someone decided that this made for such a terrible work environment that they did what JS said: Seeya.

Ok, some more questions: How often before this did you have people showing up late for meetings? Are there repeat offenders or does the tardiness get spread across everyone? How many people attend these meetings? What would you do if somebody refused to sing?