DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Last night I asked the girls if they would get up at ten and maybe make their dad some pancakes for Father's Day. I shouldn't have had to ask, but they're 12 and 8 so sometimes they need a reminder. I'm fine with that.

At 10:30, the oldest is playing on her phone and had to be asked to get out of bed; then they decided they would rather fight and trash the kitchen than take two minutes to use that phone for something other than games (like maybe look up a basic pancake recipe), so now we are spending Father's Day hungry and doing housework.

C'est la vie.

I wouldn't have kids, but if I did, they'd hate me. I didn't have a cell phone til I was in college (they existed before that, my parents just wouldn't let me get one), and to this day I won't hang out with friends if they are the type that stare at their phones the whole time we are at dinner/watching TV/etc. While I enjoy texting and playing games sometimes on my phone when I am not with company, it annoys me how now everyone expects me to be available for them 24/7, its definitely an obsession by many (I'd argue an unhealthy one). So yea, my kids may have a phone to use when they were out of the house with limited usage so they could reach me in case of an emergency, etc. but that is about it.

*old man grumbling*

• Like 2

They're running this ad in movie theatres around here, I guess all through Ontario.  I've been subjected to it twice since this past weekend.  May have to start showing up to movies a little bit later.

WARNING: There's a sudden loud crash at the 4 second mark as the guy checks his phone while driving and gets into an accident - but that's really not the worst part of it.

Wow, I'm glad I'm attentive when I drive at night and that they lowered the speed limit where this took place years back. I thought I saw something in the road just by an eye reflection, so I slowed down and it was a family of raccoons crossing the street, one larger one and 3 or 4 mid-sized ones. Immediately after that, not more than 100 feet down the road, a full-sized doe decides to dart across the road as well, luckily I was already slowed to about 15 mph or this would have been an unpleasant drive home.

DVDVR board historians: I dunno where else to put this - anyone remember a guy named GiantsGiants (from England) posting here? I saw that name on another board, and it is SO familiar. Thought it might be from here, but then again, maybe not. Dunno if it's the same guy.

On 6/27/2016 at 0:42 AM, Ryan said:

Wow, I'm glad I'm attentive when I drive at night and that they lowered the speed limit where this took place years back. I thought I saw something in the road just by an eye reflection, so I slowed down and it was a family of raccoons crossing the street, one larger one and 3 or 4 mid-sized ones. Immediately after that, not more than 100 feet down the road, a full-sized doe decides to dart across the road as well, luckily I was already slowed to about 15 mph or this would have been an unpleasant drive home.

A doe? A deer? A female deer?

5 hours ago, jstout said:

DVDVR board historians: I dunno where else to put this - anyone remember a guy named GiantsGiants (from England) posting here? I saw that name on another board, and it is SO familiar. Thought it might be from here, but then again, maybe not. Dunno if it's the same guy.

Doesn't ring a bell. Unless he only posted in places I never went, like the baseball folder.

So the person that lives above me's toilet has apparently been slowly leaking for months but I didn't notice since it was just making a mark on the ceiling in my master closet that I rarely use. Anyway finally noticed when it started dripping onto the floor (not ideal), told him, at first he was in denial that it was his fault but came to his senses when the plumber told him. So he paid the plumber, and the plumber also kindly took out all the wet and moldy drywall from my ceiling (about two feet by one foot).

This is going here because now I have to go back to the neighbor about repairing the ceiling. Probably. I am a really chill person and I am just glad that the leak is fixed, but I really don't want to shell out a couple hundred to fix the ceiling myself. But my neighbor is retired, on a fixed income, and so far as made no effort to contact me about my ceiling even though he knows about it. So my options are going to an old man and saying "Hey, uh fix my ceiling please?" or being glad the leak is fixed and getting someone to fix the ceiling myself. I know of course its his responsibility, its more a matter of if I care enough to go after him for it under the circumstances.

But I have a few days to figure it out since the plumber recommended I not patch it for a week to get it all dried out. So I have a fan in there making sure everything is nice and dry.

We had my dad's memorial on what would have been his birthday (the 8th). We were expecting about 40-50 people to show up for it. We stopped counting at 120. Apparently my old man was pretty popular. 

• Like 3

On July 2, 2016 at 0:52 PM, jstout said:

Are you talking about the GTA Forums guy who paints his cars in clown colors?

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Are you talking about the GTA Forums guy who paints his cars in clown colors?

That's where I've seen that name! Thanks. Dunno if it's the same guy, but that's at least where I've seen that name.

7 hours ago, jstout said:

That's where I've seen that name! Thanks. Dunno if it's the same guy, but that's at least where I've seen that name.

Only possible person I could think of. Didn't know you're on that board too.