DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

So, those American lads who arrested that terrorist on the train in France a few months ago - one of them would have been at Umpqua college when that mass shooting happened (if he hadn't been at Dancing with the Stars instead), and another one got stabbed a bunch of times outside a bar in Sacramento the other night.

Is this life imitating art, assuming the Final Destination movies are art?

Okay, never mind, I'll just get my hat...

Ask him? Seriously, if you're concerned, send the man a note telling him he's missed. He'll either choose to respond (or not), but at least you reached out. It may be nothing more than the fact that he's of an age where pet projects assume far more importance then they've held in the past. It's a realization your own mortality thing...  

One of the professors in our building has suddenly retired.  I worry about him.  He's 68 years old and in pretty bad shape.  He's single with no children and his brother lives in the Philadelphia area, if memory serves.  I'm wondering what happened to cause him to leave so soon.

Well, to expand on this--apparently his departure wasn't health related (though the man is pretty frail).  Apparently, there was a complaint of sexual harrassment from a student.  What I thought had been sick days were actually two days of investigation. He was pretty much told to take an early retirement.

I knew he had flirted with/possibly dated students in the past--which, obviously, is a no-no. I don't know the entire story, but I can see a scenario where he said something and the student was uncomfortable.  Another professor in the building was fired for the same thing several years ago, though everyone knew the previous professor was way too flirtatious/handsy wtih students (and I 99% guarantee he was sleeping with a few).

Just a weird week at work.

So the car wouldnt start this morning. Utterly dead. Wont respond to the remote lock buttons. Doors wont open, theres a ticking noise coming from the speedometer.

Cue baby C getting in her trailer, me exercising muscles i havent used in 5+ years and high school children getting a larger view of my posterior than i thought would be legal...as i ride my wifes knackered old bicycle to the nursery a couple of miles away.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it turns out the negative connection on the battery was a bit loose.

Six months old, this car - fucking french electronics.

• Like 1

My younger neighbor called me 'sir' in the elevator yesterday.  I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've been called sir in a non-customer-service situation, so I'm just going to lay down and wait for death's cold embrace.

I'm not sure which is more annoying, "sir" ? Excuse me, I haven't been knighted (yet). Or "Mr. Pelan", no, "Mr. Pelan" was my father, my name is "John" (I will also answer to OSJ or "Dr. Dart") 

Here in New Mexico the ubiquitous term seems to be "Boss", no I'm not your "boss", if I was, I'd probably fire you.

It's funny. Around here, guys call each sir all the time. Peers, friends, coworkers, whatever.

Same here.

When did Spokane become so formal?

It's funny. Around here, guys call each sir all the time. Peers, friends, coworkers, whatever.

Same here.

When did Spokane become so formal?

When I moved here :)

Well played, SIR!

• Like 1

How busy was your polling station? I went at ten in the morning. Out of four booths, there was a line for one, a couple people at another, and two with nobody waiting to vote. Conveniently, I was directed to one where I could vote immediately. Excluding volunteers, I was the youngest person there by what felt like three decades.

I reckon I just showed up at an odd time. Like many, I have high hopes regarding voter turnout, especially young voter turnout.

There was only two ballot boxes, and when I went to vote (around 6:45 pm), there was three people in line in front of me. I asked the workers how busy they were, and they said it was a steady pace all day. When they crossed my name off the voter list, there was only 4 or 5 more names that had not been crossed out already.

I didn't vote for the Liberals but I also damn sure didn't vote for the Conservatives. Bill C-51 was a huge issue for me and I couldn't bring myself to endorse a party that voiced any support for it.

And the Conservatives really did run possibly the most ridiculous campaign I've ever seen in this country (I mean, we have never gone Full Trump here yet). I have no idea what else they expected to happen.

It was an interesting election. All the non-Conservatives I know were very what you might call moral issue driven, and virtually all the Conservative voters I get on with are "BUT THE ECONOMY". It's like people saw two totally different campaigns.

Eleven weeks was far too long never again for God's sake.