DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

She has come a long way in a short amount of time since she was only signed in June of last year. Her wiki entry is pretty extensive regarding her background.

It's been posted a few times but her breakdancing video is awesome. That put it over the top for me. Lana can do no wrong. Make her Divas Champ or better yet, World Heavyweight Champion. Screw it.

RE:  Northeast universities and hot chicks. Listen, if you can't find some fine looking ladies at a school of 20,000+ people then something is wrong. The only difference between the south and the north is the weather. You can't go to UConn and dress like an FSU cowgirl. It's fucking cold throughout most of the year. Even April sucks. If you're lucky maybe we'll get a few nice days in May during finals.

• Like 1

So the expression the dog and pony show is often used somewhat negatively for matches with copious interference but what are some examples of good matches featuring the so called dog and pony show trotted out?

Was there ever a reason given for Anna Bogomazova's (Anya) release? With a taekwando and kickboxing background, and rumours of her joining The Shield a long time ago, she certainly got my attention.

They replaced her and Audrey Marie with JoJo and Eva Marie is all I ever heard. Like any big company they departments are allocated budgets.

During the FCW days and early NXT it was clear they had a set allocation for the amount of women they could have on their roster. Things are a bit more fuzzy now.

They replaced Audrey Marie with THOSE TWO?   I am depressed now.   fuckin total divas..

I remember they did one of the later Attitude Era Raws from FSU and the most over person was Ron Simmons for obvious reasons. The APA squashed some team and the place went nuts when Simmons started doing the Tomahawk Chop. Pretty cool to see him treated like royalty at a place where he's a legend.

Has Ron ever done an interview or shoot explaining just how in the hell they came up with the original concept for Farooq? I still remember watching the raw after Summerslam 96 (or was it earlier) and out comes Ron Simmons. I was like hey it's Ron Simmons...then a second later I was like why the hell is Ron Simmons dressed in a water polo helmet.

It's honestly amazing that he ever survived being saddled with that when he debuted and lasted long enough to become Farooq of the N.O.D.

I think ECW might've wrote the manual on how to overbook the fuck out of a main event and have it come off exciting instead of terrible.

The one match bleeding into another match thing that became way overdone is pretty cool the first few times you see it.

She has come a long way in a short amount of time since she was only signed in June of last year. Her wiki entry is pretty extensive regarding her background.

It's been posted a few times but her breakdancing video is awesome. That put it over the top for me. Lana can do no wrong. Make her Divas Champ or better yet, World Heavyweight Champion. Screw it.

RE:  Northeast universities and hot chicks. Listen, if you can't find some fine looking ladies at a school of 20,000+ people then something is wrong. The only difference between the south and the north is the weather. You can't go to UConn and dress like an FSU cowgirl. It's fucking cold throughout most of the year. Even April sucks. If you're lucky maybe we'll get a few nice days in May during finals.

I went to the University of Vermont for undergrad and there were plenty of fine looking ladies, but in terms of being "hot," the South still wins. Something about being able to dress scantily clad for more than 3 months of the year adds to the hotness factor. I would say the same about where I go to law school (University of Michigan) too. There's a joke within Michigan though that all of the hot women are at MSU. 

In regards to Ron Simmons, from WGD Weekly:

We sat down and we started going over things, and we thought about how I was going to be presented in my gimmick…so, he said, 'This is when I sat down with my team and envisioned you as.' Now this was far from my mind, but, he pulls these drawings out and says, 'I see you as this gladiator, as this spartan. Now, so far I'm thinking, man, this is great, I can get with that. Then he starts to show me more and more and then he says, 'And this will be something like what you'll be wearing, this helmet right here, it's made out if leather.' So, at first I'm waiting there, you know, I'm waiting for him to laugh or to joke. Because, I'm laughing at this point and I'm thinking, this guy has a good sense of humor, he is ribbing me. So, as I'm laughing, I look at his face and think, 'Oh god, he is serious.' So, my face goes right back to poker face right then and all I can say is, 'You know, I think that is great. That is fantastic and it will be the best thing I've ever done.' I'm thinking in the back of my mind, 'I can't believe this.'

i'm bored, I watched the Farooq in Tallahassee match again. So here's a list of Farooq/Tallahassee matches from the WWE

WWF @ Tallahassee, FL - May 12, 1999 (8,203)
Mankind & Ken Shamrock defeated the Acolytes; the Acolytes played the faces for the match due to Farooq being a Florida State alum; to help in that effort, Mankind & Shamrock wore University of Florida jerseys to the ring

WWF @ Tallahassee, FL - December 14, 1999 (6,531; sell out)

The Acolytes defeated the Mean Street Posse when Farooq pinned Rodney with a spinebuster

WWF @ Tallahasse, FL - April 11, 2001 (4,647)

The Acolytes, Steve Blackman, & Grandmaster Sexay defeated Bull Buchanon, Steven Richards, Val Venis, & the Goodfather when Farooq pinned Venis with a spinebuster

But anyways... Farooq's tomahawk chop to the forehead post-match was just awesome.

That reminds me, the only Native American the WWE has had since mid-90s Tatanka was.. mid-2000s Tatanka, right?

• Like 1

In regards to Ron Simmons, from WGD Weekly:

We sat down and we started going over things, and we thought about how I was going to be presented in my gimmick…so, he said, 'This is when I sat down with my team and envisioned you as.' Now this was far from my mind, but, he pulls these drawings out and says, 'I see you as this gladiator, as this spartan. Now, so far I'm thinking, man, this is great, I can get with that. Then he starts to show me more and more and then he says, 'And this will be something like what you'll be wearing, this helmet right here, it's made out if leather.' So, at first I'm waiting there, you know, I'm waiting for him to laugh or to joke. Because, I'm laughing at this point and I'm thinking, this guy has a good sense of humor, he is ribbing me. So, as I'm laughing, I look at his face and think, 'Oh god, he is serious.' So, my face goes right back to poker face right then and all I can say is, 'You know, I think that is great. That is fantastic and it will be the best thing I've ever done.' I'm thinking in the back of my mind, 'I can't believe this.'

I can imagine him sitting there stone-faced, looking at the helmet. Zoom in on his forehead. Mental 'Damn!'.

Wow I totally forgot about Tatanka's inexplicable mid 00's run. How did that come about?

Brought back for an "Old School Raw" was surprisingly in shape and given a few more dates before the nostalgia wore out.