DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Wow I totally forgot about Tatanka's inexplicable mid 00's run. How did that come about?

Brought back for an "Old School Raw" was surprisingly in shape and given a few more dates before the nostalgia wore out.
So, there's still hope for a Steve Blackman part-time run.

Remember that weird moment in time where WWE started billing wrestlers from Canada as being from places in the States?

Yep. I believe Christian was announced as being from Tampa, Benoit from Atlanta. What was the purpose of that exactly?

Remember that weird moment in time where WWE started billing wrestlers from Canada as being from places in the States?

Yep. I believe Christian was announced as being from Tampa, Benoit from Atlanta. What was the purpose of that exactly?

they said it was because it made more sense to bill them where they currntly lived. but most of the rumors were that they wanted to downplay Canada since its "bizarro world"

they said it was because it made more sense to bill them where they currntly lived. but most of the rumors were that they wanted to downplay Canada since its "bizarro world"

I thought it was around post 9-11/the war in Iraq when Canada refused to join in on the Iraq invasion and the US was...annoyed with them?

Wow I totally forgot about Tatanka's inexplicable mid 00's run. How did that come about?

Brought back for an "Old School Raw" was surprisingly in shape and given a few more dates before the nostalgia wore out.
So, there's still hope for a Steve Blackman part-time run.

Well, he was announced for one of the more recent Old-School Raws, but didn't get any camera time.

yeah that's the explanation I remember reading too. Flair was billed as from Minnesota up until Starrcade/his crowning glory - from then on he was billed as from Charlotte

It was a gradual evolution from what I've seen. He went from being billed as "now residing in Charlotte, North Carolina" to just being from there.

• Like 1

Reminds me, did WCW ever narrow down where Zan Panzer was supposedly from? "Europe" just seemed a bit vague...

• Like 1

I'm going to say Zan Panzer and his family, who all also wore masks, was a Romani gypsy and moved around quite often, never establishing a permanent settlement. That's more thought than WCW ever put into it.

• Like 1

Don't doubt the nerf helmet's impact in killing the gimmick. There was no recovery from that.

Except somehow he did.  Becoming an upper midcarder who I think even got a ppv world title shot.  And then spending many years as half of an nearly always over midcard tag team.

Because he was Ron Simmons, god damn it.

• Like 2

Well...yes but that was in a different gimmick. Gladiator outfit Farooq was DOA as soon as he showed up wearing that helmet. Although it would be hilarious to me if he'd done some of the wackier or sillier APA skits wearing it. Farooq shows up to collect some type of debt wearing that helmet; not only is he going to kick your ass but he's crazy too.