DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Filler 6-2-14

MGFanJay

Awful show, except for Rollin's heel turn.  I'm not really that sold on the Shield, but I'm still sorry to see them go.  I enjoyed Ambrose and Rollins when they were on the indys, so I kinda hate to seem the stable split.  Not convinced either guy won't get lost in the shuffle and be jobbing with Damien Sandow at year's end.  Thought the turn was well done, so far as that goes, and I'm not bothered by whether or not it "makes sense".  Most babyfaces turn heel out of jealousy or frustration.  Money too, but you don't see that as much any more since the heel manager is nearly extinct.  I assume Rollins is tired of playing peacemaker, or feels overlooked, or wants a singles push.

That said, it's a good short-term angle since Rollins seemed the least likely to turn, but it feels like he's someone with a better chance of making it as a babyface.  Ambrose is much more a natural heel, I think.

I'll give it a chance, but heel Rollins reminds me of Justin Gabriel without the Nexus.

Rest of show was just sorta there.  Alicia Fox still has a brutal looking axe kick.  And I was amused to see ADR and Ziggler wrestle each other in a MitB qualifier, since that supposedly means one of them had to qualify.  As much as they've buried both guys, I didn't expect to see either one of them qualify.

Hornswoggle/3MB/Los Matadores may have been the most fun thing on the show.  Consider that for a minute.

Best thing about the show was Alicia dropping Nikki Bella like a bad habit and Aksana going all Rush over her. That or #Sparx in the Rose Party. 

I'd love WWE to pick up Seleziya for my own entertainment as she is a ridiculous person but also she has a real diamond in the rough quality about her not sure if she is improving with that she is currently doing. Being up front with Adam Rose is hopefully a positive sign WWE likes her. The female NXT tryouts are coming up within the next month or so.

Heal turn for Rollins was great.  Shame that it makes no sense to turn him whatsoever.  I am looking forward to seeing what they do for Rollins, Ambrose, and Reigns as far as singles pushes go.

Bo Dallas has the worst bulldog finisher ever.  I though Kofi had pulled off a reversal when Bo dropped flat onto his own tailbone, but then he rolled Kofi over for the three count.  I was stunned.

I'm more excited about a potential Barrett face turn.  I think with the lack of interesting faces, a face Barrett if he can keep from being neutered could make it to the top.

He's got everything he needs- good mic work, good character, great charisma, good in-ring.  Cesaro will be a great guy to have a showcase with as well.

What I do like about all this is that it's not obvious where things are going right now and that the unpredictability could potentially lead to some interesting angles.  Of course I don't have an overabundance of faith that the WWE won't botch things completely, but what they do with Rollins and the world title picture is ambiguous enough to be interesting at this point. 

It seems as if they're really playing Bryan's health situation by ear as far as what they do with the world title - either have some bullshit match with Kane, maybe where he gets himself DQed right off the bad and doesn't do anything that physical just to keep from being stripped of the belt for non-defense or if they're actually going to pull the trigger on someone new (possibly Cesaro) being a transitional champ.

I'm pretty sure that by Survivor Series they'll play up Rollins having some big moral crisis and eventually turn on HHH and company to re-join the Shield, but in the meantime I'm interested in how it plays out.  Rollins getting some singles time to shine would be nice and freshen things up a bit, as would seeing Reigns and Ambrose fight some other people.

People bending over backwards to find some kind of kayfabe reason for Rollins to turn is exactly why this is super dumb. If it happened more than 2 months ago, it basically never happened in WWE continuity so all this talk about architects (whatever that means) and Rollins being annoyed back in February holds little water to me. The booking since Mania has been a monumental shit sandwich and this is the final layer of shitty mayo. These last few months of Raw have been torture. They took every exciting possibility they cultivated at Mania and went in the complete wrong direction with all of them.

Good grief.  Didn't Cornette used to say it took 7 years for wrestling fans to forget stuff enough to reuse stuff.  Now everyone is forgetting Seth Rollins already "shockingly" walked out on his brothers in the middle of a tag match just a few months back.  And "all this talk about architects (whatever that means)" is like saying "what's all this talk about vintage Orton?" in that it is something Cole (and hence Vince) drones on about endlessly anytime he's in the match.

What people should really be upset about is the impending Orton-Rollins feud over who the true "Face of the WWE" is.  

I'm not following how it could be argued that it made no sense that Rollins would turn. It makes no sense within the confines of a Evolution-Shield feud. However, in the big picture, everyone knows HHH holds a ton of power, and most wrestlers would run over their own mothers to align themselves with him.

After all the Adam Rose bashing the past few weeks, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that he was kind of over tonight and the crowd seemed to be digging his act (other than the cm punk chants).

The WWE's treatment of Ziggler is a good summation of the creative problems they are currently having. There are only a handful of over faces and WWE has a very hard time creating new ones. This is why Punk leaving was so problematic. This is why there is obviously no plan b after Bryan's injury.  Ziggler is an over face. They don't have to put the world titles on him but you would think they would protect him just a little bit so he could slide into an important spot if they need him in the future.

I don't know how long Jason Caldwell has been doing these (because it would require folks to have to go to the Torch) but a recap of what happened on the RAW Post-Show

Post-Show

The Network picked up with officials and referees entering the ring to check on Ambrose and Reigns. On commentary, Alex Riley called this the dumbest move ever by Rollins for turning on his brothers coming off the biggest victory of their careers. Booker said Hunter thought with his pen and wrote a big check to Rollins as part of his pursuit of victory over Shield. Riley said Shield had power and everything they ever wanted by defeating Evolution last night, while Mathews countered that Shield had success, but perhaps not true power.

Xavier Woods said Rollins is not motivated by money or power. Booker jumped right on him by burying Xavier that that's why he's sitting here and not in main events. Riley asked why Rollins would sign on with Hunter as one of his pawns. Booker stuck to his P.O.V. that it's about business and not friendship. Riley said Shield as a unit was heading to the Hall of Fame, so why would Rollins split? Booker then offered his personal view that he would take the big seven-figure paycheck from Hunter if offered to him. Riley had enough and blurted out that it was "the stupidest move in the history of WWE" going from the team that won to the team that lost last night at Payback.

Mathews followed up by saying no one knows what was offered to Rollins in a back-room meeting. Booker said he hears them that it was a bold offer put on the table by Hunter. WWE replayed the end of Raw when Seth Rollins turned on The Shield. On commentary, Mathews said Rollins - who was the architect of The Shield - ended The Shield. Couldn't Shield just replace him with a new a third member, like Evolution just did?

The discussion then shifted to why Evolution picked Seth Rollins to target to join the group. Mathews cut off Riley and fed to Renee Young backstage, who caught up with Evolution and Seth Rollins. What is htis transaction about? Rollins sneered and walked off. Orton then eyed Renee and walked off before Hunter smiled into the camera and said: "I win." Suddenly, back at the Network post-game show, Mathews said they don't know for sure that Rollins took the big money. But, he took something. What's the story here? Booker decided to turn his conclusion into speculation about Rollins getting paid.

Mathews summed up WWE as a "sea of sharks" and Rollins may have signed a deal with the devil. Booker added his opinion that only one guy can main-event WrestleMania as a one-on-one competitor. So, why did Rollins join another group? Riley said John Cena has never gone back on his principles and still been a World champion, so he doesn't agree with Booker. Booker kept talking about those seven-figure checks being split three ways and Xavier said he'd happily take the check.

Booker took it back to Harlem Heat about their ceiling being capped. But, he wanted to be on the marquee and be singles champion. He said you can't do that in a faction. So, why did Rollins join another faction? Riley answered Booker back, then Booker said he's tired of Riley and Xavier being naive. The Raw post-show closed with a final shot of Rollins standing with his new faction at the end of Raw.

Personally I so annoyed that I went to sleep early (2nd hour) and moreso not putting it all together:

- that WWE did the "boring" statis show they do before a big main event angle

- it being BIG SUMMER ANGLE season:

Limo-Explosion.gif

tumblr_m13grtZ5yw1rp7guno6_400.gif

Pipe-Bomb-cm-punk-29763174-500-225.gif

- the premature magazine article

- the trio having nowhere to go 

etc

I'm not following how it could be argued that it made no sense that Rollins would turn. It makes no sense within the confines of a Evolution-Shield feud. However, in the big picture, everyone knows HHH holds a ton of power, and most wrestlers would run over their own mothers to align themselves with him.

I don't see how someone can say it doesn't make sense in the context of the Evolution/Shield feud on one hand, and then say it makes sense b/c HHH holds a ton of power on the other.  HHH was this version of Evolution.  It was designed to only serve his purposes, which is why Batista quit.  Shield "won" the feud, so HHH got revenge by buying out the guy who was keeping Shield together.  It really doesn't take much of a logical leap to imagine HHH offering Rollins a metric shit ton of money and playing to his ego.

I agree. Most feuds to not have the underpinning of Evolution v. Shield. In a typical feud, if team A is facing off against team B, and team A dominates, it would make zero sense why a member of team A would turn. With Evolution v. Shield it makes sense.

Except for, as good of a internet troll Hunter's been, This version of Triple H, Evolution, and even the Authority, has been set up as a group of people that will willingly hold down people that the crowd loves in place of their vision, and have been clowned at every step.  Bryan beat all of Evolution single handedly in one night, Shield beat everything The Authority threw at them, including emphatically going over them at Payback.  The Authority, and Evolution by proxy, are dogs with no teeth.  Why the fuck would you leave a dominate stable to join a stable that's been clowned repeatedly for damn near 8 months (counting Authority and Evolution as basically one thing, even though they split to deal with seperate issues)?  

Except for, as good of a internet troll Hunter's been, This version of Triple H, Evolution, and even the Authority, has been set up as a group of people that will willingly hold down people that the crowd loves in place of their vision, and have been clowned at every step.  Bryan beat all of Evolution single handedly in one night, Shield beat everything The Authority threw at them, including emphatically going over them at Payback.  The Authority, and Evolution by proxy, are dogs with no teeth.  Why the fuck would you leave a dominate stable to join a stable that's been clowned repeatedly for damn near 8 months (counting Authority and Evolution as basically one thing, even though they split to deal with seperate issues)?  

Because as great as The Shield is, HHH still has the ultimate power in making matches, granting pay raises, etc. Currying favor with him leads to individual glory in an easier way than biding his time with Reigns and Ambrose.

Also, HHH had a relationship with The Shield before they started feuding. They were his henchmen. I'd imagine Rollins was his go-to guy for all business decisions since he's the only one capable of having paperwork done in a timely fashion.

• Like 2

True, but that also means that Rollins, above all, knows Trip's MO.  Which makes it all the more mind boggling that he'd switch back.  He knows that unless Rollins somehow becomes Trip's new favorite lackey, he's only there to advance Trip's flavor of the month.  I mean, its not like there's a plethora of guys that are sitting pretty because they've been doing Triple H's bidding.  Its been a clear point that Team Levesque can't beat any of the new generation of guys straight up, and favor with him hasn't done anyone any favors, save for Orton until Bryan figured out how to get around the roadblocks.

If Rollins turned to go solo, then that'd be one thing, and it'd make sense.  But leaving a dominite faction to one that's been on the losing end of everything since the night after Elimination Chamber makes none.

The meeting between Rollins and HHH in my head goes exactly like the meeting between Les Grossman and Rick Peck in Tropic Thunder, with Randy Orton as Bill Hader.

"You want me to betray my brothers, my friends of two years, to join you and Randy in Evolution, for a G5..."

"Yup."

"A G5....airplane?"

"Yup. And lots of mon-ay."

Cue "Low," while HHH and Randy Orton dance awkwardly in front of Rollins...

If that didn't happen, then I don't wanna know...

• Like 3

I am all for the turn if it means I won't have to see anymore Crossfit tweets from Rollins

Oh my god, you don't want to suggest Rollins has become Triple H's new training buddy?

That would almost guarantee his rise to becoming a future World champion.

Crowd was silent.  Not shocked, silent.  Take a note Trip, AND GO THE FUCK AWAY!

The bigger question:

Can Seth Rollins overcome the Black Hole of Heat that is Randy Orton?

Or is this just a way to try and have Orton leech heat off Rollins because lets face it, no one gives a fuck about Orton.

Hey, you're wrong about this every week.

• Like 3