DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Filler 6-2-14

MGFanJay

Batista quitting was amazing thanks to his wave. Shame we saw it 900 times to fill time. Then a lot more filler happened. More filler. The opener was amazing with Heyman on commentary adding a ton to everything. The Wyatts had a good-ish match with the Usos that would've been a lot better with a different commentary team. The Rusev ceremony was fantastic, but seems like something you would do after a title win or a major win. If he'd say...beaten AMERICAN OLYMPIAN KURT ANGLE last night instead of Big E., this would make sense. The end of the Shield as that particular three-man unit was done about as perfectly as possible, and it all made sense when Seth was the only guy with a weapon. Seth as a dragon for Roman to slay before HHH should make for a good match at MITB, so that card will at least be more dramatic than it was before.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/06/raw-6-2-14.html

Screens -

33cd13330645160.jpg

b64812330645209.jpg

d4917c330662159.jpg

351a95330664787.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/x38k77kin4e61aj13xm510plbkudghfd

I'm going to do this in old-school DVDVR Raw Report fashion because I'm writing while I watch. Why the hell not, I'm drinking, and it's fun. Plus I couldn't eat grilled meat for the fifth time in a row at my friend's birthday party tonight. It sounds insane, but there is only so much smoky cholesterol dosing one can undertake within the space of a week. 

~WHAT WORKED~

Well, Dave did the best thing in his whole worthless run tonight. I'll let piranesi update us on the attire, which he apparently didn't care enough about to even keep on.

RVD just got treated like a piece of meat out there. Putting him in as the FIP was the absolute best thing to do and probably only way to reign him in, plus it's always good to see him get beat on. Sheamus turned into thebullofthewoodseefyouweeeell off the tag. End was actually perfect and this can clearly lead to Cesaro/Barrett which you know will rule. 

Aksana and Alicia make a good team. Aksana will break your eyesocket, then Alicia will run the ropes like a nut and soak you in soda. 

That Usos promo was truly inspired! Good job boys. It actually felt authentic and unscripted which is the last thing I expected. 

To the crowd's credit they don't actively revolt during the resthold segments with Rowan, though there was a chant I couldn't make out. It's nice mixing the stiffness and speed up with that for variation and it seems like this is getting through to the audience. Much more of a slow-burn tag than some of the others we've seen before they pick it up at the end. Great pacing and back-and-forth, both teams are incredibly over, just an awesome match all around. And of course, Luke Harper is a god, a cross between Jason Voorhees, Charles Manson, and a Hayabusa-trained Stan Hansen. Can't beat that. (If you count the number of slaps to face and leg in this match and provide an accurate total, I will give you an imaginary coupon to Arby's. Free Horsey Sauce!)

You have to give Ziggler and ADR credit for coming up with a nice end sequence. Crowd is way too into Ziggler to have him lose though. Holy fuck this show is long... I am amazed they've kept my attention this long.

JBL brings the Jim Herd excoriation before screwing up and saying the Hunchbacks idea was from Memphis. Match is decent until WWE Facebuster Finisher #286 rears its ugly head.

~WHAT DIDN'T WORK~

Damien Sandow has now officially taken Charlie Haas' role and sucked all the fun out of it. Actually, I guess Haas was channelling Damien 666 more than anything. Sandow is just imitating random people and using it to effect mega-Foley levels of cheap heat. Yuck. (Hey, did you know Charlie Haas was a stockbroker with Goldman-Sachs? And that him and his wife run a nutritional store/smoothie shop in Texas? At least I found that out from looking him up due to the segment.)

God, then Bo Dallas goes for the same cheap heat. Give me a break. Only good thing to come out of that match was the cravate ("I'm gonna wear him down!") which effected the "Bo-ring" chant. That fucking bulldog showed more daylight than dawn at the Equator. 

Cena/Kane was paint-by-numbers. I guess there needs to be a "purgatory" part of this review. 

Adam Rose... nice Funk impersonation. Then you did a Bronco-Buster. No thanks. To his credit he did eat a nasty boot from Swagger. 

I take a minute to cut up a destroyed Bathory shirt to put up in my wall in respect to Quorthon (10 years, RIP) and I come back to Rollins joining Evolution... this better be a bigtime swerve on Evolution. I didn't see the whole thing so maybe I would be more positive if I had. Fuck it. Raw is over, time for Bathory and vodka.

The turn was a well-done turn...

...that made zero fucking sense.

You should have seen it coming.  Seth Rollins' vest has devolved into a Baby Bjorn.

image0980898s.jpg

There was no other choice. 

NEVER TRUST A MAN WEARING A BABY BJORN!!!

Really surprised Rollins turned. Is Wyatt-Cena still going or what? He got into with Stephanie so... I don't know where that goes either. Hard to get into Kane-Bryan at MITB when Cena throws the stairs at him and leaves.

That Rusev segment blew big time, it just went on and on.

Honestly, as well done as the turn was, what possible reason other than "I don't want to be stuck fueding WITH Triple H forever because he can't beat us and he'll drag this out so I'll join him" is there for Rollins?

Honestly, as well done as the turn was, what possible reason other than "I don't want to be stuck fueding WITH Triple H forever because he can't beat us and he'll drag this out so I'll join him" is there for Rollins?

To be the hand-picked future star of Evolution instead of the guy who was playing peacemaker in The Shield? 

"Why'd you do it, Seth?"

"He just kept smashing beetles, Bro.  Chu Chu Chu.  Just kept smashing them."

"I don't get it."

"There's nothing to get.  It's just a beach of Beetle husks...and money.  Also all the money.  Like, Batista money."

• Like 6

Money and power are the ultimate tools of corruption. Just keep it like that, and maybe some jealousy, and you're good to go with the explanation.

- He's usually named as the least potential star of the three, most underrated, this pissed him off.

- He got sick of killing his body match after match for The Shield.

- Money.

To be the hand-picked future star of Evolution instead of the guy who was playing peacemaker in The Shield? 

If Evolution didn't spend the last 3 months getting their asses kicked, it might make more sense.

Money and power are the ultimate tools of corruption. Just keep it like that, and maybe some jealousy, and you're good to go with the explanation.

So have Ambrose get corrupted instead. He makes more sense as a heel and Rollins is more sympathetic as a babyface. Or turn Reigns and make him the new Batista. They picked the turn that made the least sense of the three.

• Like 1

So have Ambrose get corrupted instead. He makes more sense as a heel and Rollins is more sympathetic as a babyface. Or turn Reigns and make him the new Batista. They picked the turn that made the least sense of the three.

That's why Rollins was the best to turn in terms of the "OMG WHAT???" factor. And that's the point of a big turn, too.

• Like 1

That was the most telegraphed turn since Flair on Sting. Not Rollins specifically but one of them tonight after that in ring promo, it being Rollins made it shocking. I figured it would be Reigns or Ambrose and never once considered Rollins. In a weird way I think Rollins works better because he's the last one of the 3 you'd think of.

Other than that the highlight of the show was Rusev's ceremony and Big E being the only face in WWE with respect and decency by not coming out and ruining it. Cena running out as soon as he heard "vacant title" a million times faster than he does if a buddy is getting mugged was hilarious. I'm glad that Foxsana is still a thing and I could be down with them being Steph's personal henchwomen.

Dolph vs Del Rio has replaced Dolph vs Kofi as the match on a loop in my own personal hell.

• Like 1