DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Filler 6-2-14

MGFanJay

DX was the number 2 face act in the WWF during its biggest run and sold a ton of merchandise. Trying to deny that is ridiculous.

Oh good, merch sales arguments. Those are never tedious and specious.

So you say they did not make any money and something that proves they did doesn't count. Good to know.

Thanks Gonzalez.

WWE loses several million dollars while the Shield is a featured act, but it is not their fault. But because WCW lost money after the nWo disbanded, the nWo was not a draw. 

consistency.

Sun set in west everyday on which a mass murder occurred. Connection established.

To bring up a comment from earlier in the thread, some said the point of a stable is to have them break up and become singles stars. If that's a fair definition, then I'd argue the SHIELD did it's job better then any stable in history: in a year and a half, the SHIELD went from NXT callups to being legitimate top acts in the wrestling world. That's a great run.

Evolution is right fucking there dude holy shit
Such terrible influences when you were at so formative an age. Not like me and Papa Shango. Someone should write a paper.

You know, I feel like they could have gotten more out of this angle, if Triple H just announced he bought off one of the members, but didn't say which one. Then watch them bicker and get paranoid until the most opportune time to turn - Money in the Bank.

• Like 1

You know, I feel like they could have gotten more out of this angle, if Triple H just announced he bought off one of the members, but didn't say which one. Then watch them bicker and get paranoid until the most opportune time to turn - Money in the Bank.

If I got three weeks of Tatanka storming into the Shield locker room demanding to know why they were talking to Ted DiBiase, I'd be a happy lad.

• Like 2

Let's face the facts, we can only hope we get a few more decent moments from a Raw at this time of the year. Remember when they entered the three ppvs in seven weeks and we got such memorable moments like Big Show crying while also getting Rhodes/Shield? It gets chaotic.

DX was the number 2 face act in the WWF during its biggest run and sold a ton of merchandise. Trying to deny that is ridiculous.

Oh good, merch sales arguments. Those are never tedious and specious.

So you say they did not make any money and something that proves they did doesn't count. Good to know.

Thanks Gonzalez.

WWE loses several million dollars while the Shield is a featured act, but it is not their fault. But because WCW lost money after the nWo disbanded, the nWo was not a draw. 

consistency.

Sun set in west everyday on which a mass murder occurred. Connection established.

1. Or the fact they were visibly over with the paying audience during the hottest period in wrestling history doesn't matter either. 

2. WCW made money every year the original nWo existed. Even in 99 they made a small profit, they lost the most money in 2000 when the original group had been long dead. Even nWo 2000 was only around for a month. 

Maybe it's because I've watched RAW on and off since the start, but other than a couple of almost complete misfires like last week's show, it's actually been much better than a LOT of times in the past. Big parts of that have been the Shield, Wyatts, Daniel Bryan, and Trips doing his level best to be a human pinball in matches where he's putting younger guys over. Elevate Barrett to main event status and I'll have very, very little to complain about. Even the Divas are far more interesting than they've been in years, thanks in large part to Paige (no, she's not Akira Hokuto, but she is a hell of a lot better than just about any other Diva on the roster. I think she and AJ could really bring the house down if they were allowed adequate time to do so.

Blaming the Shield for a stock market self-correction is so beyond idiotic that I can't believe the idea was seriously brought up. The Shield were never intended to be the massive merch movers and mainstay of the company that they became. They did that in spite of being saddled with the worst possible gimmick, a three-man team when even the regular tag-teams are getting little attention. The Shield and Wyatts both succeeded in spite of that, not because of it. DX was always positioned to be the big thing, comparison between the two is just silly.

Let's start in the last 10 years. From an in-ring perspective or kayfabe perspective, name a stable that was more successful then the SHIELD.

They haven't even been the top stable over the last year. Apple hasn't officially broken up yet. 

April_11%2C_2011_Raw.13.jpg

• Like 2

Blaming the Shield for a stock market self-correction is so beyond idiotic that I can't believe the idea was seriously brought up. 

A lot like saying the nWO did not make money. As if it was brought up to illustrate that very point. 

Treasure of sierra madre style

• Like 2

The only stable I can think of that comes close to the Shield in terms of quality is Generation Next.

Yeah, I think this about sums up all of the ridiculous pro-Shield arguments being made in this thread.

"DX? NWO? Who? It's obviously Generation Next."

• Like 2

I mean, if you're talking match quality, The Shield is up there especially as a unit in team matches. NWO doesn't really have that, as they were mostly a group that stuck together but almost each guy competed alone(besides The Outsiders, but that was flexible too) DX was kind of the same way. With The Outlaws being the only team within that unit. You can't really attribute the individual matches(just from a quality standpoint) to the unit. Macho/DDP is a Macho match not an NWO match. Hunter/Rock was Hunter's not DX's. 

Really it becomes difficult to compare match quality between other factions to The Shield, because The Shield wasn't really about individuals. That's why Dean Ambrose didn't really have a story with the US title - because the story wasn't about him and what he's doing it's about his group.

I'd call them a great all time faction just because they had great matches - but if we're talking kayfabe success they're probably not Top 5. Tag champions in period when there weren't quality tag teams. US champion in a period when no one would even care to compete for the US title. They got some huge 6 man wins with some formidable teams featuring guys like Cena, Bryan, Punk, and Triple H. That's a biggie, but none of those guys even specialize in team matches. When the competed with an actual three man group that worked together, The Wyatts, they failed. 

I'm not even going to get into Merch sales and profits because that shit is dumb and I don't care.

• Like 2

I think the whole discussion can be distilled down to quality of matches / quantity of matches. A ratio that's better than that of the Shield is pretty difficult to come by. Now if the naysayers would like to serve up evidence to the contrary, I'm certainly willing to look at empirical evidence.  (Note: "The Shieldz sukz, DX rulez" is not an argument citing empirical evidence.)

I'm okay with the turn because a) main event guys never turn anymore. I mean, Orton/Hunter was the last turn and that was back in August b) From an in-ring perspective, it's easy for any of them to feel that they did all they could do as a unit and now it's time to look out for number 1. 

Now, I get the argument that Ambrose has more legs as a heel but, really, Rollins has been the star of the The Shield. Wouldn't it be natural that he feels the other two are holding him back from being the next WWE champion or whatever (which is where I imagine his promo will go)? Remember that Hunter turned on DX when he was the leader because The Corporation gave him a better path to the title. 

I mean, The Shield were great as heels. They kicked everyone's ass. They turned babyface and kicked more ass. At the PPV they kicked the ass of the top three of the biggest stars in the company history. I'm okay if this is the ending because I'd rather this than...I dunno...they start losing matches due to miscommunication and dissension. Everyone ends on a high note and now they get to run with a storyline that could run until 'Mania for these three guys. 

Now the issue is if it was done in the right way. I would have had Ambrose or Rollins win MITB, build to a Reigns title win and then do a turn but I guess they have other plans for the belt one way or another. 

If we can get past arguments about merch sales and WCW television ratings, do you guys think The Shield should replace the member and who would it be? I don't think an existing talent works. I think there'd be a stink of failure if like...Dolph came running down. Zayn is too lovable. It won't happen, but I'd roll out Devitt at MITB. Dude knows how to work a faction gimmick. 

• Like 1

They had weekly good matches for a year+ straght, sometimes 2+ a week. There are very few wrestlers in WWE history that you can say that about. Rey, maybe Cena. Christian? You can't really compare DX well because for most of that run there were just a bunch of four minute matches on TV. That's not a knock against them. It just makes it hard to judge. The Dangerous Alliance is pretty much the only comparison I can think of since WCW was giving away so many free tv matches. 

Really, I think you should compare them to tag teams. not necessarily to a faction. What tag team had weekly televised good matches, singles or tag, over a year+ period in WWE? 

Then you get that we are just now in the 3 hour Raw post-brand split era which allows for this. It's just a really hard comparison in general.

That doesn't make what they accomplished any less special.

I think of the Shield as being more a three man team like Demolition than a stable like the Horsemen or DX. 

After they beat Evolution on Sunday, I knew something had to happen. They had nowhere else to go, I though HHH was going to force them into a Triple Threat match for the title to force a break up. 

Rollins is clearly the best recruit from a story (and probably IRL) perspective. Ambrose is too much of a nut to trust and Reigns is a brainless thug. Both of them have proven to be selfish at various times. Rollins is the best wrestler and a team player. He ended up having a price, but it is doubtful anyone can make a better offer than Hunter. 

• Like 1