DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

After spending 375 days approximately 6,000 miles away from my wife, I've been back in the States since Thursday and will soon be spending three years living in and traveling around Europe.

Yeah, not a hell of a lot to complain about here.

• Like 3

So my Mom has always been one of those people who hates going to the doctor.  My sister and I have tried to convince her, coax her, and force her but her last doctor's appointment was over a decade ago.  She is 54 years old.

On Sunday night she called me and told me she was in tremendous pain.  I headed to her house to find her passed out, running a high fever, and sweating profusely.  Believe it or not after coming to she STILL wanted to refuse to go to the emergency room. In the midst of me (only somewhat jokingly) threatening to throw her over my shoulder and carry her there she had another spasm of pain in her midsection and agreed to go.

To cut a long story short the doctors found 4 small blood clots in her lungs causing the pain and shortness of breath.  They found 10 more in her leg just waiting to break off.  They also found a small growth on her thyroid.  They don't know if it is cancerous or not, but it's very small and they recommend having it removed either way.

She got to go home tonight after getting on blood thinners to break up the clots and medicine for her blood sugar (which was very low).  Amazingly she's been incredibly into making her follow up appointments and had a heartfelt talk with us about taking better care of herself.  It's a tremendous relief to my sister and I to know that she seems serious about trying to stick around longer.

Found out who sent that package we lost; it was my brother-in-law, and it was a bunch of presents for Amy. He said he'd check if it was insured, but the next time he contacted me it was to say he sent another package and that I'd need to sign for it. I asked him if he was insured, all he said was that he only cares that my daughter gets her presents and loved them.

Also, got our $200 back and the missus took care of all the Christmas shopping. On an iPhone. On the couch.

The last few years, Christmas bonuses have been included with our bi-weekly paychecks during the last payday of the year. Well, payday came and went and nothing was there. We don't think we're getting Grizwalded or anything, just the company waiting until next week to give them to us. Well, I was counting on that to finish the shopping over the weekend, since the regular paycheck goes towards the usual stuff. But, much to our surprise, the wife got a nice fat bonus check herself today!

• Like 1

Finished the Christmas shopping, then spent the evening watching the beloved Winnipeg Jets win while drinking beers named "Hoptimus Prime", "Loki", "Hops and Robbers", "Red Hammer" and "Total Eclipse of the Hop". To quote the lyrical poet Ice Cube "Today Was a Good Day".

• Like 1

Some good bad news...after hitting a deer the Friday before Christmas, my car has officially been declared totaled. That said, my insurance is being quite generous. More so than I had hoped. So while it sucks and the timing is awful, it could easily be so much worse.

You want good news? Here's some good news. It's 2014 and we made it on the other side. Let's hope for a fun and prosperous year of great wrestling from both sides of the Pacific (and Atlantic, too, if the recent boom of solid British stuff is a sign), good mojo for everyone in their lives, and all other sorts of wacky hijinx from the DVDVR clientele.

Love you guys, and here's to a great 2014 for all of us.

• Like 4

I'm sure other people have had the moments when a song came on the radio and it was a sign something was going to happen?

Kicked off my New Years Day birding, while driving down to Cape May.  This came on the radio...

And I got my first New Jersey White-winged Dove 5 minutes after getting there.

This is my dog.  His name is Buddy.

buddy-resized.jpg

We got Buddy from my wife's best friend whose family was unable to continue caring for him.  Her husband was in the process of dying of cancer and they couldn't focus on him and on the dog, too.  You see, Buddy has cancer, too.  He's got some kind of bone cancer in his jaw or something.  He had stopped eating and they were strongly considering putting him down.  When they gave him to us, they'd just been told he had - maybe - two weeks to live. 

Why is this post in this thread and not the pet one? 

You see, that was just over a YEAR ago.

Buddy immediately - and I do mean immediately - improved the second he moved in with us.  He started eating right away and was just generally the happiest, most playful, wonderful dog ever.  Nothing has changed since then either.  He's proven to be an awesome companion.  He helped nurse Trish through her last couple months of chemo, just sitting at her feet or snuggling on the couch (all 90lbs of his black lab self) with her.  He's incredibly well-behaved and doesn't need to be on a leash when out in the yard with me if I'm mowing the front lawn or whatever.  I take him to the park almost every day to play and he never even looks at other dogs when we do that.  Brings the ball back every time, even moves it closer if he drops it too far away from me.

So anyway, just over a year ago, we were given an amazing dog that supposedly had 2 weeks to live.  We've been blessed to have him for all that time and he shows no ill effects of anything.  And THAT is my good news.

• Like 10

I am so relieved my baby sister is safe and with her baby. This week has been an ordeal for my family and I am glad it is behind us. 

I'm grateful for the time getting to bond with little Emily and my oldest nephew. He is such a good boy and really proved how mature he is. 

• Like 2

This is my dog.  His name is Buddy.

buddy-resized.jpg

We got Buddy from my wife's best friend whose family was unable to continue caring for him.  Her husband was in the process of dying of cancer and they couldn't focus on him and on the dog, too.  You see, Buddy has cancer, too.  He's got some kind of bone cancer in his jaw or something.  He had stopped eating and they were strongly considering putting him down.  When they gave him to us, they'd just been told he had - maybe - two weeks to live. 

Why is this post in this thread and not the pet one? 

You see, that was just over a YEAR ago.

Buddy immediately - and I do mean immediately - improved the second he moved in with us.  He started eating right away and was just generally the happiest, most playful, wonderful dog ever.  Nothing has changed since then either.  He's proven to be an awesome companion.  He helped nurse Trish through her last couple months of chemo, just sitting at her feet or snuggling on the couch (all 90lbs of his black lab self) with her.  He's incredibly well-behaved and doesn't need to be on a leash when out in the yard with me if I'm mowing the front lawn or whatever.  I take him to the park almost every day to play and he never even looks at other dogs when we do that.  Brings the ball back every time, even moves it closer if he drops it too far away from me.

So anyway, just over a year ago, we were given an amazing dog that supposedly had 2 weeks to live.  We've been blessed to have him for all that time and he shows no ill effects of anything.  And THAT is my good news.

That is most cool. We lost our little guy, Fantom just before Christmas, (a stray dog got him and severed his spinal column); anyway, I took it pretty hard, but we went to the Humane Society on Tuesday in hopes of finding another long-haired, black kitten. Wasn't one there, but there was a neutered male approx. 7-9 months of age that reached out of the cage to grab my sleeve. He's a short to medium hair, and while they said he was a year old, we think he's quite a bit younger based on his behavior (trying to suckle fingers, drinking milk from a baby bottle, etc.) Well after the attempt to grab my sleeve we just had to take Twister home and in three days he's fit in like he's always been here. He's just a little sweetheart and gets along with the older cats just fine. And THAT is my good news.

• Like 1

My cousin's brain cancer surgery went well, from what I hear.  They got most of it out and he'll go through chemo/radiation for the rest.  Sounds like he's recovering well and will just have to deal with some minor loss of motor skills/vision.  The guy's got a family with another kid on the way soon, so hoping for the best for them.