DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

I just submitted the last chapter of my dissertation to my advisor.

Sure, I've still got to write an intro and a conclusion, and revise pretty much every chapter, but I'm that much closer to completion.

You, Manos and I are going to have to meet up and drink heavily once you are finally published. 

You know you are going to get a t-shirt from us that says Dr. Control on the front of it, right?

• Like 1

Yesterday she got a phone call from National Geographic and she got it. There were 1300 applicants and she was one of 25 teachers selected. She is going on this cruise to the Canadian Maritimes, St. Johns New Brunswick to St. John's Newfoundland and Labrador. There she'll see old ruins, speak with scientists and probably some other cool shit.

I'm super happy and proud of her because she's a teacher. It's rough being a teacher right now in North Carolina, and she's finally getting some validation that she is special and has good ideas on how children should be learning instead of standardized testing bullshit.

This is so kickass. Congrats to the mrs.

• Like 1

I should say that Newfoundland & Labrador aren't considered part of the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island). Collectively, all four are known as the Atlantic provinces.

I spent 3 weeks in that part of the world. Easily my favourite part of Canada. Landed in Halifax, stayed there for a few days (great lobster), drove around the provinces, staying in Moncton and Charlottetown, before catching the ferry over to Newfoundland. Drove all the way across to St. John's. Beautiful scenery (if you love rainy, windswept barren lands, which I do) We wanted to get to St Pierre et Miquelon, Gros Morne and l'Anse aux Meadows, but we didn't really have time in the end, so I'm officially jealous.

Finally got tired of a couple co-workers shit (nothing particularly interesting, so no rant) and talked to my supervisor about it. Ended up getting put in a spot I like, where the only shit I have to deal with is my own.

• Like 1

Finally got tired of a couple co-workers shit (nothing particularly interesting, so no rant) and talked to my supervisor about it. Ended up getting put in a spot I like, where the only shit I have to deal with is my own.

I need to find me a spot like that. Good for you!

Wife got promoted today. We weren't expecting it. We were under the assumption that it wouldn't happen until AFTER we have our son in June because she'd be going on maternity leave. 

And it's...very nice, to say the least. 

• Like 5

It was one year ago today that my wife was told by her oncologist that she was cancer-free.  The folks around this haven of misfits were pretty damn awesome during her treatment and I just want you all to know she's doing great.  She is finally starting to feel mostly like herself again - the mind/memory issues are pretty close to gone, her energy level is back almost to normal, and she's pretty much herself again. 

And we're gonna celebrate on the beaches of Oahu and Maui in 2 weeks.  BOOYAH.

• Like 13

And we're gonna celebrate on the beaches of Oahu and Maui in 2 weeks.  BOOYAH.

Take me with you!

JK, of course.  Have a great time.

No way.  You've called me drunk and all kinds of other assorted nasty things.  I'm still somewhat miffed at you.

But my calling anyone a drunk is totally a term of endearment!

*Waves membership card to the DVDVR Cuddly Club under Tabe's nose*

Come on, Tabe.  This card is worth at least some sand and seashells as souvneirs.  Maybe a WISH YOU WERE HERE postcard?  I'll even throw in a guaranteed Top 3 finish in the Cuddliest Member contest. *raises eyebrows Groucho Marx style*