DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Despite his admirable "having another child to get likes" strategy, Jae has finally fallen off his pedestal and I am the most liked poster in all of DVDVR.

I wonder what would happen if I doubled my post count.

• Like 2

Work is FINALLY buying me a decent laptop for video editing so I can stop trying to do it on the collection of under-powered pieces of crap I've been doing.  Of course I am so far behind with a 50 video backlog to get through because of it, but at least they've approved me for a ton of overtime to catch up.

Didn't know if this belonged in Weather, the Eff You thread or here, but I'm not dead so I guess I'll try it here:

I moved everything out of our storage unit in Houston last Thursday. It was raining the entire time I was there, which was fun, but fit right in with our entire Houston journey. Anyway, around 9pm I was seriously trying to consider whether it made more sense to stop in Tulsa to sleep for a couple of hours or drive straight through. The moving truck had a terrible engine (not much power), so the thought of not having to deal with any other vehicles on the road was appealing to me.

At about 11pm, Just before I get on a turnpike 70+ miles outside of Tulsa, I try to fill up the tank on the truck - as I was at about 1/4th tank left. I get out, and it's 10degrees out if I'm lucky; I flip the hands-free thing on the pump, and run back into the truck.

*click*

It stops pumping gas almost immediately.

I get out and try to do it manually.

*click* *click*

Well f*ck this! I yelled, and I get in the truck and get on the turnpike.

Now I'm driving and looking for a sign for gas, and there's nothing. I come across an exit sign, the "last for 7 miles," but it appears to be nothing but farmland around there - so I keep driving past that too. I've got no GPS; no cell service, and my clear stick internet can never find a signal even in a more populated area. I also can't call my wife because even she helps me avoid dying in the cold - she'll murder me on-sight when I get home (she's a bit of a worrier even under the most ideal circumstances).

Then I come up on a sign that says "GAS: 22 MILES," and not even a beat after I finish reading that sign the gas light comes on.

I did the exact same thing driving down from St. Louis to Houston (except it was the middle of the day; I was on a populated road and it was May), where I almost ran out of gas during a long stretch where suddenly all of the gas stations disappeared. When that happened though, I completely believed that I would make it to a gas station and I did. As I kept driving along this road though, I really started to doubt that I would make it.

So panic starts to creep in. I stop pressing the gas whenever I'm going down a hill, and I quit trying to push the truck any faster than it needs to go to maintain the speed limit. I'm not seeing any cars or trucks anywhere near me - on either side of the road. I've also lost track of the mileage.  I've always operated under the belief that the gas light was a 15-mile warning, but I knew that would still leave me seven miles short of the next gas station; my jacket was still damp from moving earlier that morning, and all of my clothes were way in the back of the moving truck. 

Finally, mercifully, I can see sirens up in the distance. A cop had pulled someone over, so I pull up ahead of them and wait. When he's done with them he comes up to me, and I explain what's happened. He laughs and says "there is a gas station up ahead, maybe not even two miles from here."

So I made it, the tank let me fill it this time (although I had the same problem a total of three times while stopping at various gas stations along the way), and after being completely wired from that - I drove straight through and finished the 15-hour drive to KC around 5am that morning. Worked out perfectly too, because I barely saw another car on the road the entire time - I would have had at least an extra hour or two of driving if I waited until the morning.

• Like 1

Thank god for snow blowers!  I FINALLY broke down and bought one Monday and got it Tuesday via the magic of Amazon Prime, right as it was beginning to snow.

If I didn't have it, I would not have been able to get to work this morning.  Blew 9 inches of snow off our entire driveway and a portion of our street even bigger than our driveway just to get enough momentum to get my truck to the cross street.  Bring it on fucker!

• Like 1

This isn't really good news for me so much as it's nice for my wife. But then again she is legally my property*, so I'll take credit for it.

Back over Christmas she applied for a program with National Geographic where they choose a few teachers to go along with their photographers and scientists on a cruise. There were cruises to the British Isles, Antarctica and a few other places. When she was done she would go out into the community and talk about what National Geographic is doing. She applied thinking that she wouldn't get it. 

Yesterday she got a phone call from National Geographic and she got it. There were 1300 applicants and she was one of 25 teachers selected. She is going on this cruise to the Canadian Maritimes, St. Johns New Brunswick to St. John's Newfoundland and Labrador. There she'll see old ruins, speak with scientists and probably some other cool shit.

I'm super happy and proud of her because she's a teacher. It's rough being a teacher right now in North Carolina, and she's finally getting some validation that she is special and has good ideas on how children should be learning instead of standardized testing bullshit.

*also this part is a joke. Relax.

• Like 6