DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Consulted on a murder case two weeks ago. Found some evidence the state had not handed over and gave some advice / trial strategy to counsel.

Trial's over, not guilty of murder, guilty on lesser included of manslaughter. If he was found guilty of murder, he'd have gotten life. Instead, he got 20 years, eligible for parole in 10.

That's about 80 years worth of win.

• Like 1

So this is sort of double good news. One is older and one is newer.

I've been an independent contractor at my job for almost two years, and at the beginning of March they finally made me a normal full-time employee with benefits. So yay for that! 

I was hoping to go on a vacation this year (I haven't been on a "real" vacation since my honeymoon in 2009), and a friend who is a history professor mentioned that he was being paid to go to Spain for a month, and that I had a free place to stay if I went there during his stay.

I wasn't sure about the money, because my pay for this month is going to be different due to the raise, taxes and healthcare benefits being factored in. But today the company accountant gave me my pay stub and I'm going to have the money to buy my ticket to Madrid. 

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances or the cost of the flight jumping up $200 in the next 5 days, I'm going to Spain for ten days in May!

• Like 6

Apparently I'm some kind of genetic freak, as I got my blood tests back and am healthier today than I was back in 2005, despite gaining 80 pounds.

I'd be the world's dullest freak show attraction!

OR the second coming of Jerry Fucking Blackwell which is what our world needs.

I want to see Barcelona, but I don't know if it will happen.

The tentative plan is to rent a car and drive from El Escorial (where the free place to stay is) up north through a few cities, eventually going through the mountains to Bayonne, France and then down to Pamplona. But Barcelona is still be argued over/considered.

So tonight I was paid to be the color commentator for a local indy group. Got to call the action live ringside for cable access.

For one night at least I can say I am a professional wrestling announcer.

Only Matt Striker at the Royal Rumble could convey how I'm feeling right now.

• Like 2

I'm struck by how wonderful technology is.  My mom was a music theory prof and I digitized her entire 3 room collection of records and reel to reels of everything from Elvis to folk music from the Amazonian river basin a few years ago.  Now all of it fits on my cellphone, with a handy SDHC memory card.  7300 hours of music on a card the size of my fingernail.

You can keep your flying cars.

• Like 1

My grand-daughter turns five today so we shall take a trip to Big Cheese Pizza, (actually she's my grandniece, but the Dine language has no words for "aunt". "uncle", "niece" or "nephew". In Navajo tradition you're "grandparents". Anyway, we babysit from 12-5 everyday and this will be a refreshing break from having to suffer through shit like "Peppa Pig" all afternoon.

HOMESTAR RUNNER UPDATED AND IT'S NOT AN APRIL FOOL'S GAG

Bah, everyone knows the real star of Homestar Runner is Strong Bad, and unless it revolves around him...

What ho? FedEx just dropped off three copies of CARL JACOBI: MASTER OF THE WEIRD TALE edited by yours truly and S.T. Joshi. Wow this thing is a monster. Oversize hardcover at around 1000 pages. Wow, just wow. I don't care how many times I do this, every time is like having a new baby.

• Like 1

What ho? FedEx just dropped off three copies of CARL JACOBI: MASTER OF THE WEIRD TALE edited by yours truly and S.T. Joshi. Wow this thing is a monster. Oversize hardcover at around 1000 pages. Wow, just wow. I don't care how many times I do this, every time is like having a new baby.

Okay, I lied, it's only 830 pages. Not quite as big as my Frank Belknap Long book and nowhere near as big as the Hugh B. Cave or Arthur J. Burks collections that are on deck... The Masters of SF aren't going to be quite as big, but when you start off with Fritz Leiber, Ward Moore, Richard Wilson and James Patrick Kelly, it's hard to go wrong. (The idea is for us to do sets of four, three classic authors and one contemporary author. I already know Robert Reed is my pick for contemporary author in the next set.)

HOMESTAR RUNNER UPDATED AND IT'S NOT AN APRIL FOOL'S GAG

Bah, everyone knows the real star of Homestar Runner is Strong Bad, and unless it revolves around him...

A world without Homsar is like a world without sunshine.

I just got a 9.1% raise at work.  It's getting retro'd to the beginning of the fiscal year and it's about 3 times more than the average is for the annual raises.  I guess I'm paying for drinks for the next month.

• Like 5

This past weekend, I got to see my cousin for the first time since his cancer scare back around New Year's.  He's doing pretty well, all things considered...good to see.

On the personal front, I got my annual raise and bonus at work and my car insurance is scheduled to go down in a few months...so yay.

• Like 2

This may seem like very minor good news, but the new kittens, Jackpot & Seven, (they were born in Vegas); have discovered the location and purpose of the litter boxes. Trust me, this is huge good news; I'm not much of a fan of surprises of any sort, let alone the type that kittens produce. Also, the hissing and histrionics from the other six cats has now muted to the occasional outburst, this too, is good news.

• Like 1

My girlfriend got the stitches out of her knee today after a week of recovering from surgery to repair a torn meniscus.  She is in better spirits now, thank God. 

I took the week off to look after her and I thought I was going to slug her last Thursday. The wailing and gnashing of teeth about not being as mobile as she wanted to be was getting a bit much.

Only I can talk mean about my woman, though. Anyone else is going to get a shoot DDT and suffer some arm tweakage.

• Like 3

So an old classmate of mine got to be onstage at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony. I went to school with and casually knew, (I was friends with his best friend, one of those deals) Jason Federici who's Dad Danny was one of The E Street Band before he passed away in 2008. We were never close by any means, but he was a good guy. I always thought it was cool that he went to public school with everyone else. He was never spoiled, despite his Dad being in the fucking E Street Band.