DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Yeah, the older I get the more I realize I'm headed toward Frank Zappa terrritory. If I could find a machine the would perfectly play the parts I write for it, I'd be there right now.

I have 5 nephews that live near me in their teens.  I have roughly 5 billion nephews total but 5 that live near me and still teenagers.  They're all super-awesome.  And they're all still young and dumb enough to think I'm the cool uncle that's fun to hang out with - they actually ASK to come over and play video games all night when they've got a vacation.  They also think I'm some wise sage that comes down from the mountain to bring forth to them knowledge of great importance.  They love to tell me their latest attempts to impress a girlfriend or whatever.

And they also love to ask me stuff like this:

"if you call shotgun and put stuff in the shotgun spot but have to go back into the house for something, can you lose your shotgun spot?"

Got that text yesterday from one of my 14-year old nephews and it literally made me smile all day.  I just love that they come to me with stuff like that - I mean, we're talking about some of the essential foundations of being a guy here.

So, yeah, my good news is that my nephews* rock. 

* - my nieces are both awesome, too.  As are the nephews who don't live by me or aren't teenagers.  But today I wanted to talk about the 5 younger ones that live by me :)

• Like 1

I told him once it's called - legitimately; no calling it in the house BS - that you can't lose it just because you ran back into the house to grab something if you've already put stuff in the seat.

We played by prison rules: if you go back in the house that front seat is fair game.

See, in general, I agree with that, but if you claimed the spot by leaving stuff there, that's good enough.

We played by prison rules: if you go back in the house that front seat is fair game.

See, in general, I agree with that, but if you claimed the spot by leaving stuff there, that's good enough.

I'm with Zimbra. You go back inside, your stuff is getting tossed into the back seat for you. Of course, this might be because I'm tall and having to sit in the back doesn't work very well in most cars. :)

My youngest daughter's soccer team just finished their season undefeated. She's nine and just now dipping her toes into athletics. The game has been over for three and half hours. She's still in full gear, shin guards, cleats, and of course, the medal around her neck.

I may have been the dad roaring from the sidelines and running down the field cheering.

• Like 6

Got cast in the Chicago premiere of Sam Shepard's The Late Henry Moss. The part is very small, but they also want me understudying for the part of Ray. For those who don't know the show, there's a great documentary called This So Called Disaster, which covers the rehearsal process for the original production which had Nick Nolte, Sean Penn, Woody Harrelson, Cheech, and directed by Shepard. I watched it when it came out years ago, and have wanted to be in it ever since.

So yay.

• Like 7

Things were different on my side of the mountains... "Move your feet, lose your seat!" Soft Easterners, bah. ;-)

I just finished doing a piece of voice over work for an agency in Finland. I've done work for a Finnish group before but this is a different agency and they seem to be happy with my work. The more international work I can get, the better my resume looks!

Got cast in the Chicago premiere of Sam Shepard's The Late Henry Moss. The part is very small, but they also want me understudying for the part of Ray. For those who don't know the show, there's a great documentary called This So Called Disaster, which covers the rehearsal process for the original production which had Nick Nolte, Sean Penn, Woody Harrelson, Cheech, and directed by Shepard. I watched it when it came out years ago, and have wanted to be in it ever since.

So yay.

\Yyou and Johnny Sorrow should put on a play for us.

Holy shit, talk about coincidence. I just came here to mention how in a month I'll be auditioning for the local Community Dinner Theatre production of "The Producers". Im going for the part of Roger De Bris, but Im thinking of shooting for main event and trying for Max Bialystock.

• Like 1

Holy shit, talk about coincidence. I just came here to mention how in a month I'll be auditioning for the local Community Dinner Theatre production of "The Producers". Im going for the part of Roger De Bris, but Im thinking of shooting for main event and trying for Max Bialystock.

Man, the Producers is so much better with Lorenzo St. DuBois as Hitler. 

Good news everyone!  </Farnsworth>

Looks like The Goodear family is adding a third dog to the family.  A 11 year old blind standard poodle named Cesar has stumbled into our lives and is totes the nicest dog ever.  Much nicer than the two we already have (I kid).  Its rare for me to make a close bond with a dog at this point since I work in animal rescue but the blind sucker has really just warmed my little ventricles.

Yes, on occasion, I do call him Cesaro.

• Like 1

Just got back from Indy. Very thankful to make it back safe because the weather sucked. Anyway, it's a day later and I'm still jazzed from seeing Tegan and Sara with my girlfriend. One of the best live shows I've seen and she had a blast.

• Like 1

Scored a wicked header goal on Friday night to tie the game, then set up the game winner as we rallied from 2-0 down to win our first outdoor soccer game of the season 3-2. Celebrated with many beers.

Spent most of Saturday drinking on a patio. Man, the winters in Winnipeg are terrible, but as soon as it gets nice out, this is a damn wonderful place to live.

Apparently cannot post from my new blackberry browser on DVDVR moblie, so I guess that will go in the Fuck You thread. :)

I saw this headline last night:

"Federal Judge Strikes Down Idaho's Gay Marriage Ban"

Folks, if it can happen in my backwards state, it can happen anywhere. It will be completely satisfying to see the hillbillies in public office here go down in humiliating defeat as they try and fight this one.