DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Since my son was born he's had this thing underneath his toungue.  It wasn't really noticeable unless he smiled really big or was crying hard.  It was translucent and kind of looked like a little finger.  We mentioned it to the Dr. when he was born and they just wrote it off as extra skin and mentioned it to the pediatrician at his first visit and they pretty much said things like that aren't that big of a deal.  We switched pediatricians for a variety of reasons but his new one referred us to an ENT.  The ENT Dr. said it's either a ranula which is a fluid filled cyst or a lymphatic malformation.  In the case of the ranula he said they'd wait until he was about a year old and then cut it out but if it was the malformation he said they'd have to treat it sooner and it would be injecting medicine into it to shrink it to go away because if he were to get a cold it could grow and cause trouble swallowing or breathing.  But he needed our son to have an MRI to diagnose it.  

So we go to get the MRI but can't get it because the idiots didn't tell us any diet restrictions and you have to wait a certain number of hours after eating before the sedation.  But we did find out more about the sedation and our little guy would be getting an IV right away and then it wouldn't be couple more hours until the MRI which would take quite a while and he'd have to stay a couple hours after it was over.  So we rescheduled.  But it made me think about it a lot more and we felt like it was a lot to put our child through and after doing our own research we were certain it wasn't the lymphatic malformation.  But we called the nurse again to find out more of the negative consequences and the ENT relayed to her he wouldn't want to wait longer than our son being 5 months old to get the MRI.  We found out then that he couldn't treat a child until they were 5 months for the lymphatic malformation anyway.  So we decided to wait.  

And the other day we noticed something strange.  The fucking thing went away.  Completely vanished.  He had a Dr.'s appointment today and they agreed that it was indeed gone.  We have another appointment with the ENT to verify.  I'm just glad we didn't put the little guy through that whole ordeal.  A lot of words, I know.  

• Like 4

A year ago today, with doctors' supervision, I stopped taking the high dose of Zoloft I'd been on for sixteen years (well, and the lower one I'd been on as they tapered me).  I know I tend to melt down here occasionally, and get a lot of (well deserved) shit for it, but I really am better off now than I was on it.

Today was my dad's stem cell transplant, and by all accounts he is doing well so far. I'll be able to visit him in about 2 weeks (he has zero immune system right now, and it doesn't start coming back for 10-12 days) which will be the first time I've actually been in the same room as him in about 2 months. Can't wait.

• Like 4

My daughter has been accepted to the International Baccalauriate program in Virginia!

Proud Pappa~!

I am stoked that my daughter is turning out to be quite the serious scholar, but I hope she still takes time out to be a kid.

• Like 4

Just got news from my daughters' therapist that we can stop sessions,next month.  We've been taking her for two years, and while she'll still need speech therapy, which she gets at her daycare, she progressed "remarkably".  She hasn't had a bout of self-injury in about 6 months, and she's slowly being able to adapt to unfamiliar places.  Obviously her autism isn't cured, but it's all heading in a direction where it can be more manageable.  She starts kindergarten next school year, and that's a new challenge but hey, I'll take whatever small victories we can get.  Plus....I'm saving myself $150 every two weeks!!! 

• Like 9

Man, that is great.  I can't imagine what you're having to deal with or the emotion involved. 

It is tough for a dad to watch his kid go through something but it is awesome to find out just how strong and resilient they really are.

Thank you Brother.  There was quite a few nights where I sat there crying because I had to pin her down so she wouldn't hurt herself and feeling absolutely helpless.  Now to have actual conversations with her, and some days it seems like she's a "normal" kid. Still, this is only one step but damn, it's a really big step! :-)

• Like 2

How I did it (43lbs in 11 weeks) before I hurt my back and started eating like an idiot again: 1200-1400 calories per day, 45-60 minutes of cardio five times a week. I used MyFitnessPal to track food and exercise and never once went over the calorie goal that the app gave me.

I'm over 360 pounds. 1200-1400 calories would either be dangerously low for me to lose weight and not health, or make me a stabby rage beast. The cardio is pretty sound, though. Love MyFitnessPal.

Starting university has lead me to both A) walk a mile four times a week (public transport) and 2) cut my food intake down since I'm on campus and don't have the money to eat out. Hella trail mix and chewing gum/water. I'm going to see if I can add in a gym routine after spring break.

So, uh, walk everywhere. I guess that's the answer.

It honestly doesn't mean a whole lot. Apparently, he'd been excommunicated from the church for softening his views. The other hardcore dickheads will just continue on with their bullshit.