DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

Can't really add too much that hasn't been said already, but one thing I find interesting is the reaction from those within the business. There are several different guys I follow on Facebook/Twitter who are currently or at one point have been bookers on the indy circuit... and almost every single one of them has come out saying WWE is dropping the ball. And these aren't the typical guys who bash WWE, in fact it's rare to hear any of them discuss WWE. I just don't recall such an overwhelming negative reaction to a PPV in forever.

My buddy usually has the "WHY ARE THEY DOOOOING THIS" reaction to most "dumb" WWE choices. The Dragon stuff is just on a whole other level though. I could MAYBE suspend belief that there is some sort of plan and they have something for the main of WM with Bryan, but I doubt it. But to add to the above comment, I too noticed negative comments from workers (not just Foley) and just found it, well almost alarming.

I think we all agree that WWE isn't in any danger of having crowds the size of TNA house show events anytime soon because of the lack of Daniel Bryan, but there has to be SOMETHING? Or are we just being hopefull.

How different would this be is DB was a dick like Punk and stood up for himself like Austin pretty much implied he needed to be doing.

Also, Cena has been said to be the new HHH backstage, meaning his buddies get the shine. I wonder if Cena has lobbied for or against Bryan. The two of them could make some money at WM based on their summerslam match. Cena says he wants his shot at bryan again, the ONLY GUY TO CLEANLY BEAT HIM in forever.

Ugh, forget fantasy booking.

I would think, if only for business reasons, Cena would be lobbying HARD for Bryan. A program with those two, a real one, would be box office. I've heard more that Cena pushes for his guys rather than pushing against others. I'm sure he's intervened for Big E. and Roman Reigns, but it's hard to imagine him actively burying guys he doesn't like. Except Ken Kennedy and well, fuck him.

There was one moment where the former indie wrestling fan of me couldn't help being impressed that there was Jon Moxley, CM Punk, Claudio Castagnoli, Tyler Black & Brodie Lee all in the ring at once. During the Royal Rumble. I thought it was cool. It's probably happened before, I'm just trying to focus on the positive.

• Like 1

NXT watching should be mandatory here.

When the Network launches I won't have to watch it from my computer, which I hate doing.

We kind of hate when you do stuff on your computer too.

But yeah, I'm glad for the new eyes NXT will get when the Network debuts. I only hope that they don't start micromanaging it.

Big Fresh hatred is so early 2013.

Did the same thing Elbow. It was awesme seeing brody in there.

Ambroses promo before with the shield was awesome about the numbers.

They do have a ton of talent for the future, its just a matter of burning off the old guys and returning stars until we get to them.

There was one moment where the former indie wrestling fan of me couldn't help being impressed that there was Jon Moxley, CM Punk, Claudio Castagnoli, Tyler Black & Brodie Lee all in the ring at once. During the Royal Rumble. I thought it was cool. It's probably happened before, I'm just trying to focus on the positive.

Add in that the crowd eventually shit on the match cuz of no AmDrag.

Langston also didn't get much of a chance to shine tonight, which sucked. Maybe he shoulda been in Reigns' spot. I'm not sure which of those two I think he has a brighter future. That may be a future 'Mania main event right there: Reigns vs. Langston.

I really don't get what anybody sees in Big E. Langston. He's been terrible any time they've given him the mike and his ringwork, while not terrible or anything, has been pretty pedestrian. Was he that great in NXT? I've only seen him since he was called up.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe so many people thought Bryan was going to be in the Rumble. Even crazier the people that had him in it and winning it. Clearly Mick Foley has been dropped on his head a lot. 

Batista flipping off fans at the end shows the guy at least has the sense to adjust to the situation. More than you can say for HHH and McMahon. They have to at least now know what awaits them at Mania and the RAW the following night. We saw in the Rock Cena Miami build the lengths they will go to in order to try and get the reaction they want.

I'll give the fans credit for backing them into a corner. They don't push him and the show will just keep getting hijacked. They could fire him and let him go to TNA and fight Angle on PPV for 10,000 buys. It is unlikely that would stop fans chanting his name at WWE shows short term.  If the WWE finally gives in and pushes him the funniest thing will be the small group of people pretending it was the plan all along. "It was the plan all along to have Daniel Bryan with the Wyatts end in two weeks." "It was the plan all along to have the Royal Rumble, and Batista's in ring return ruined by Daniel Bryan fans."

Michael Cole saying this is the first Rumble appearance by the JBL character was pretty awful. 

I hope someone eventually explains to Triple H why the NWA champion was primarily a heel when working multiple territories. Why it doesn't work long term when the champion stays in one place.

Apparently Bryan isn't the top guy because his house show numbers aren't as good as Cena's.........

I don't think anyone realistically wants him to be in Cena's spot, they just want him in the same spot CM Punk is in. 

But on that House Show note.

I don't know hardly anyone who goes to house shows around here, they see it as practice for TV and PPV and they know nothing really happens there. The people I do know take their kids and that seems to reflect all the house show reports I read when they talk about the crowd, they mention how there are kids everywhere way more than at TV or PPV offerings. 

Kids like Bryan for sure, but they are all Cena fans, of course his shows will draw well.

There is a house show this Sunday (Superbowl Sunday) in Lakeland Florida. I think it has been announced as the only WWE show in Florida for 2014. I cant imagine it's going to draw very well at all.

I know some folks have brough up Merch numbers as well, that Punk and Cena justify their pushes based on T-Shirt sales. Outside of NO NO NO the YES YES YES and the Fear the beard shirt, has Bryan had any good shirts? Goat stuff is horrible... That could be an issue. I already have mym wife getting me the Jill Thomas YES dragon shirt, mainly because it is so much better than anything else he has.

So which one of you is this

?

I'm on my phone so I don't quite know if this has been noted, but this same dude cut an almost identical promo one year ago when Rock beat CM Punk for the belt. Almost the exact same rage and everything; different residence though (I think). I was so taken by the video last year, I knew who this was before I even clicked the link.

I want to say that last year's vid was posted with the same "alright, which one of you is this guy?" intro.

I loved when Bryan did a kip-up and Cole goes "shades of his mentor, Shawn Michaels".

ps. How did anyone expect anyone who ate a (super cool) Sister Abigail into the barricade (which was such a dope spot (really, like the sickest tope counter I've ever seen)) to do anything on that same night, let alone beat 29 men? I imagine the smark answer being something like "no we didn't, but they shouldn't have booked that match like that and should have had Bryan win the Rumble", which (besides making you sound like a child) means you might want to come to grips with the fact that WWE is a giant capitalist corporation who will do what they think will maximize profits. Bryan had a big match on the show, giving the Bryan crowd plenty to enjoy and making sure they'll tune in next time (which is the point of wrestling booking and always has been). The Rumble was booked to have plenty memorable moments and nice pops, and the Batista finish opens the door for non-fans to take an interest in WWE. (Don't get me wrong - it was awful to see a young up-and-comer have to carry a gassed out old non-wrestler.)

(So far for my Smarxist analysis.)

Not that I don't see any charm in the childlike clamoring for justice in booking. It's roughly the same kind of behavior you'd see in a preteen Cena fan whenever their hero loses a match or faces any kind of adversity. There is still the word "mark" in "smark".

Also

- Dat F5.

- Mox promos on WWE PPVs.

- Kane Blackman

- Ziggler spear bump.

- Shield internal dynamics. (btw reigns fucked himself there, kayfabewise)

?

I'm on my phone so I don't quite know if this has been noted, but this same dude cut an almost identical promo one year ago when Rock beat CM Punk for the belt. Almost the exact same rage and everything; different residence though (I think). I was so taken by the video last year, I knew who this was before I even clicked the link.

I want to say that last year's vid was posted with the same "alright, which one of you is this guy?" intro.

I checked to make sure. It's not the same guy. But the videos are pretty similar.

NXT watching should be mandatory here.

When the Network launches I won't have to watch it from my computer, which I hate doing.

Isn't Hulu+ on every device The Network will be available on? and many more?  Cough up the $9 and pretend that the NXT archive is The Network

I was thinking about the Royal Rumble during my run this morning, and I remembered a few other nice touches, interesting moments, and glaring facts:

• Big E Langston's multi-backbreaker on Sheamus. Holy God!
  • The elimination of Kofi (Reigns making sure that he wasn't able to stop himself from hitting the floor).
  • The sheer display of awesome young talent . . . and a bright future (as long as WWE manages to keep their writing mediocre).
  • The sheer pointlessness of The Miz.
  • Swagger and Rusev's brief back-and-forth.
  • The fact that it took four or five guys to eliminate Rusev!
  • The crowd's anger when Ziggler got eliminated. (Brief anger, but pretty noticeable all the same.)
  • Zeb's signs.
  • Ryback calling Batista "stoopid."
  • Poor Seth Rollins, who got eliminated by Reigns after keeping Ambrose from eliminating him!
  • Reigns's sliding dropkick to Punk before even getting in the ring.
  • Cesaro being sexy. And uppercutty.

All excellent points.  I would also add, Batista has big floppy, saggy boobs.

• Like 1

Langston also didn't get much of a chance to shine tonight, which sucked. Maybe he shoulda been in Reigns' spot. I'm not sure which of those two I think he has a brighter future. That may be a future 'Mania main event right there: Reigns vs. Langston.

I really don't get what anybody sees in Big E. Langston. He's been terrible any time they've given him the mike and his ringwork, while not terrible or anything, has been pretty pedestrian. Was he that great in NXT? I've only seen him since he was called up.

You (and Playa who liked it) are dead to me

• Like 1

Batista is starting to look like Hans Moleman.  He doesn't look human to me.

I enjoyed most of the show, with the obvious exception of being severely disappointed in the lack of Bryan in and winning the Rumble.  Dare I say that I enjoyed the Bray/Bryan match more than anyone I can think of off hand in a few years...granted I don't watch many pay-per-views.

I'm hoping that one good thing to come out of last night is that prices for Mania ringside seats on StubHub come down.  I've got my ticket, but looking to upgrade.

?

I checked to make sure. It's not the same guy. But the videos are pretty similar.

Are you sure? Same build, same vocal tone, same sounding girlfriend, both of whom call out "Michael!" to him out of concern following that first outburst ...

I was thinking about the Royal Rumble during my run this morning, and I remembered a few other nice touches, interesting moments, and glaring facts:

• Cesaro being sexy. And uppercutty.

Maybe its my bad memory, but I swear Cesaro and Brodie Lee exchanged uppercuts for a good 10 minutes while other stuff was going on.

• The sheer display of awesome young talent . . . and a bright future (as long as WWE manages to keep their writing mediocre).

This is the biggest problem with the results of the show, they just do not understand that the audience really likes the young guys, but they keep pushing and bringing back old guys.  Cena and Orton didn't get shat on because they aren't competant, it's because everyone is tired of seeing the same damn shit.  Cena's reign at the top needed to end with the CM Punk run, not saying he shouldn't be near the top of the card, he just can't be superman any more, it has run its course.  It doesn't help that his character's #1 trait seems to be that he doesn't care about anything for more than 3 seconds.  Orton beat up his dad, and Cena waited until the last three minutes of the next Raw to go after Orton.  When he got a hold of Orton it should have been a wild Memphis style brawl, but Cena punched him once, followed him around for a bit, punched him again, followed him around some more, and then watched him get in a car and leave.  He then went through the crowd smacking hands with little kids.  He should have been kicking Orton's ass all around the arena, but nope we got Cena going about his business like nothing happened.  Why the fuck should we care about any of this shit if John Cena doens't care about any of this shit.  He is the complete opposite of what was successful about Hogan, Austin, and all the other guys who had a long run at the top.