DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

I loved when Bryan did a kip-up and Cole goes "shades of his mentor, Shawn Michaels".

ps. How did anyone expect anyone who ate a (super cool) Sister Abigail into the barricade (which was such a dope spot (really, like the sickest tope counter I've ever seen)) to do anything on that same night, let alone beat 29 men?

Oh god, I'd actually forgotten about that spot. That was just seriously nasty, I was legit worried about Bryan's scrambled brains after seeing that. Yeah, I think you're right, in the context of that vicious end to the fight combined with his prior concussion I can understand why Bryan wasn't able to make the Rumble match.

<p>

I was thinking about the Royal Rumble during my run this morning, and I remembered a few other nice touches, interesting moments, and glaring facts:

• The sheer display of awesome young talent . . . and a bright future (as long as WWE manages to keep their writing mediocre).
This is the biggest problem with the results of the show, they just do not understand that the audience really likes the young guys, but they keep pushing and bringing back old guys. Cena and Orton didn't get shat on because they aren't competant, it's because everyone is tired of seeing the same damn shit. Cena's reign at the top needed to end with the CM Punk run, not saying he shouldn't be near the top of the card, he just can't be superman any more, it has run its course. It doesn't help that his character's #1 trait seems to be that he doesn't care about anything for more than 3 seconds. Orton beat up his dad, and Cena waited until the last three minutes of the next Raw to go after Orton. When he got a hold of Orton it should have been a wild Memphis style brawl, but Cena punched him once, followed him around for a bit, punched him again, followed him around some more, and then watched him get in a car and leave. He then went through the crowd smacking hands with little kids. He should have been kicking Orton's ass all around the arena, but nope we got Cena going about his business like nothing happened. Why the fuck should we care about any of this shit if John Cena doens't care about any of this shit. He is the complete opposite of what was successful about Hogan, Austin, and all the other guys who had a long run at the top.

Hogan got pissed off and vengeful over a broken cross necklace, never mind hurting his friends(and presumably family ... except maybe his son) being akin to hurting his pride.

<p>

I was thinking about the Royal Rumble during my run this morning, and I remembered a few other nice touches, interesting moments, and glaring facts:

• The sheer display of awesome young talent . . . and a bright future (as long as WWE manages to keep their writing mediocre).
This is the biggest problem with the results of the show, they just do not understand that the audience really likes the young guys, but they keep pushing and bringing back old guys. Cena and Orton didn't get shat on because they aren't competant, it's because everyone is tired of seeing the same damn shit. Cena's reign at the top needed to end with the CM Punk run, not saying he shouldn't be near the top of the card, he just can't be superman any more, it has run its course. It doesn't help that his character's #1 trait seems to be that he doesn't care about anything for more than 3 seconds. Orton beat up his dad, and Cena waited until the last three minutes of the next Raw to go after Orton. When he got a hold of Orton it should have been a wild Memphis style brawl, but Cena punched him once, followed him around for a bit, punched him again, followed him around some more, and then watched him get in a car and leave. He then went through the crowd smacking hands with little kids. He should have been kicking Orton's ass all around the arena, but nope we got Cena going about his business like nothing happened. Why the fuck should we care about any of this shit if John Cena doens't care about any of this shit. He is the complete opposite of what was successful about Hogan, Austin, and all the other guys who had a long run at the top.

Hogan got pissed off and vengeful over a broken cross necklace, never mind hurting his friends(and presumably family ... except maybe his son) being akin to hurting his pride.

John Cena showed no Hustle getting to Orton in Loyalty to his father, and deserves no Respect.

Forgotten amongst the Rumble, was the fact that Bryan hit a Super Dragon-style Curbstomp to Bray.

Which brings me to my issue with Bray Wyatt.  This is the second singles match he's had, to my knowledge.  Both times, it seems like he's gotten the shit kicked out of him for like, 80% of the match, only to basically no-sell it and hit two moves or so to win (in his defense, he also had Harper and Rowan helping to put down Kane).  Kane hit him with two fucking Tombstones and still won.  Bryan was rolling and Bray hit that Sister Abigail counter out of no where.  The hell?  The match was good and all, but I might put that on Bryan bouncing around at 245 mph than anything Bray was doing.  

This is the biggest problem with the results of the show, they just do not understand that the audience really likes the young guys, but they keep pushing and bringing back old guys.  Cena and Orton didn't get shat on because they aren't competant, it's because everyone is tired of seeing the same damn shit.  Cena's reign at the top needed to end with the CM Punk run, not saying he shouldn't be near the top of the card, he just can't be superman any more, it has run its course.  It doesn't help that his character's #1 trait seems to be that he doesn't care about anything for more than 3 seconds.  Orton beat up his dad, and Cena waited until the last three minutes of the next Raw to go after Orton.  When he got a hold of Orton it should have been a wild Memphis style brawl, but Cena punched him once, followed him around for a bit, punched him again, followed him around some more, and then watched him get in a car and leave.  He then went through the crowd smacking hands with little kids.  He should have been kicking Orton's ass all around the arena, but nope we got Cena going about his business like nothing happened.  Why the fuck should we care about any of this shit if John Cena doens't care about any of this shit.  He is the complete opposite of what was successful about Hogan, Austin, and all the other guys who had a long run at the top. 

Yeah, I addressed Cena's awful performance earlier in this thread. 

I'm really not convinced, though, that the crowd's reaction had anything to do with being "tired of seeing the same damn shit." Cena is a pretty singular talent and still has a few years left in him. If he and Orton had actually decided to work a smart match (or if the match had been well booked), then I think they could have silenced the snarkiness of the crowd (who at that point weren't angry at all) by honoring the story they had been telling over the past few weeks (even if that story was a pitiful and somewhat boring rehash of a story they never actually finished telling six or seven years ago).

In this sense, Cena and Orton got shat on because they were incompetent, because they failed to set a tone (from the get-go) that would have made this match unique among their series. Orton never tried to run away from Cena (from what I recall) because Cena never attacked him vengefully. No friction? No passion? No reason to care? Then you get "Daniel Bryan" and "Y2J" and "We Want Divas" chants. This was their opportunity to have the match they should have had at Wrestlemania 24, and they decided to phone it in with a decent but forgettable match. This actually bothers me far more than the absence of Daniel Bryan from the Royal Rumble. If they don't want Bryan in the title picture (yet), then at least they could try to make the picture somewhat . . . consistent? Interesting? Purposeful? Bah. Old complaints.

• Like 1

Which brings me to my issue with Bray Wyatt.  This is the second singles match he's had, to my knowledge. 

Picking nits now but it was his 7th televised singles match since showing up. (3 PPVs - the 2 you mentioned and he wrestled Kofi at Battleground. 4 televised matches). It might even be 8 because I don't know if that includes Tribute to the Troops

Which brings me to my issue with Bray Wyatt.  This is the second singles match he's had, to my knowledge. 

Picking nits now but it was his 7th televised singles match since showing up. (3 PPVs - the 2 you mentioned and he wrestled Kofi at Battleground. 4 televised matches). It might even be 8 because I don't know if that includes Tribute to the Troops

Ah, well, yeah, I didn't see Battleground and don't always watch TV.

But my point remains.  His style is eat offense and win out of nowhere.

Shit, that whole match at Rumble was laid out like a 90's NJPW Jr vs, Hvy ,match.  No matter what kind of roll the Jr got on, after 2 or 3 moves, the big guy is just gonna stop selling and cut the little guy off.

This is the biggest problem with the results of the show, they just do not understand that the audience really likes the young guys, but they keep pushing and bringing back old guys.  Cena and Orton didn't get shat on because they aren't competant, it's because everyone is tired of seeing the same damn shit.  Cena's reign at the top needed to end with the CM Punk run, not saying he shouldn't be near the top of the card, he just can't be superman any more, it has run its course.  It doesn't help that his character's #1 trait seems to be that he doesn't care about anything for more than 3 seconds.  Orton beat up his dad, and Cena waited until the last three minutes of the next Raw to go after Orton.  When he got a hold of Orton it should have been a wild Memphis style brawl, but Cena punched him once, followed him around for a bit, punched him again, followed him around some more, and then watched him get in a car and leave.  He then went through the crowd smacking hands with little kids.  He should have been kicking Orton's ass all around the arena, but nope we got Cena going about his business like nothing happened.  Why the fuck should we care about any of this shit if John Cena doens't care about any of this shit.  He is the complete opposite of what was successful about Hogan, Austin, and all the other guys who had a long run at the top. 

This is all true. Cena has had nine years on top now. Rock and Austin's runs were 4 years max and I think anyone who was actively following WWE then can remember how tired people were of their act, especially The Rock. Cena has fucking more than DOUBLED their runs.

And for that matter, so have Orton and Batista. They're now giving us main events featuring those guys that headlined shows eight years ago.

It's insanity. I mean, look at Wrestlemania nine years ago and three of four guys in the two World Title matches are still active weekly characters on WWE TV, with two of them still being active in-ring competitors.

You won't find that kind of carry-over from say, Wrestlemania 6 to Wrestlemania  14.  And even Wrestlemania 14 to Wrestlemania 22. The cards look COMPLETELY different. 

There is a house show this Sunday (Superbowl Sunday) in Lakeland Florida. I think it has been announced as the only WWE show in Florida for 2014. I cant imagine it's going to draw very well at all.

I know some folks have brough up Merch numbers as well, that Punk and Cena justify their pushes based on T-Shirt sales. Outside of NO NO NO the YES YES YES and the Fear the beard shirt, has Bryan had any good shirts? Goat stuff is horrible... That could be an issue. I already have mym wife getting me the Jill Thomas YES dragon shirt, mainly because it is so much better than anything else he has.

I've heard the merch thing too, but Meltzer and company consider it to be a minor thing, hopefully because they realize that buying merch relies more on making merch that people will want to buy and has little to do with who is on the merch. 

IE, I'm sure Stone Cold has at least one or two pieces of merch that didn't sell very well because they were things or designs people didn't like. It wasn't Stone Cold they disliked it was a T-Shirt design or the idea of a Stone Cold garden gnome ect ect. 

I don't keep up anymore, but I watched the Rumble. I think my favorite thing about the whole show were the revolving chants for people not at the show during the Cena/Orton match. I caught Y2J, Undertaker, Randy Savage(!). It was way more entertaining than the match.

Also, I never liked Batista so I enjoyed him getting shit on. The problem with him getting the Rock treatment is that he's far from Dwayne Johnson. I can think of a few people who can do what Big Dave is doing without it seeming so shit. Austin, Rock... But not that tool.

strange how the only major American wrestling federation for the last 13 years is retaining talent for longer stretches than ever.

and i'm sure if you look through the catalog, there were some pretty cringeworthy Austin t-shirts too, but i'm guessing the target audience wasn't holding out for a better looking t-shirt when they unveiled an "Alcohol-Fueled Whoopass Machine" t-shirt

Maybe they should just release Yes t-shirts in all colors so that one of them will be the right ecstatically pleasing t-shirt for the Bryanation

The biggest problem with the product right now is that they want all the different fanbases watching at the same time. Divide up the rosters and start the brand split again. Give smackdown to the Bryans, Punks and Cesaros of the world. Let them live in their own universe.

The logical build, which they would never pull the trigger on is a war between the old and the new factions. Batista, Cena and Orton as a heel faction holding down the new breed of less traditional stars would be such good tv. Even though the matches would be laughable, if Russo had the book, he would be all about this.

The logical build, which they would never pull the trigger on is a war between the old and the new factions. Batista, Cena and Orton as a heel faction holding down the new breed of less traditional stars would be such good tv. Even though the matches would be laughable, if Russo had the book, he would be all about this.

Wasn't this the basic idea behind the New Blood in WCW? Except, in typical WCW backwards booking, they made the New Blood the heels and the Millionaires Club the faces?

This is all true. Cena has had nine years on top now. Rock and Austin's runs were 4 years max and I think anyone who was actively following WWE then can remember how tired people were of their act, especially The Rock. Cena has fucking more than DOUBLED their runs.

And for that matter, so have Orton and Batista. They're now giving us main events featuring those guys that headlined shows eight years ago.

It's insanity. I mean, look at Wrestlemania nine years ago and three of four guys in the two World Title matches are still active weekly characters on WWE TV, with two of them still being active in-ring competitors.

You won't find that kind of carry-over from say, Wrestlemania 6 to Wrestlemania  14.  And even Wrestlemania 14 to Wrestlemania 22. The cards look COMPLETELY different. 

Neither Cena, Orton, or Batista ever had the connection with the crowd that those other guys had.  It has been nine years of marginally over guys, who at their best can be really good, but they rarely connect with the crowd.  The problem comes when someone, *cough*Daniel Bryan*cough,* actually gets a real connection with the crowd it is so obvious how apathetic the crowd is to their top guys. 

Wasn't this the basic idea behind the New Blood in WCW? Except, in typical WCW backwards booking, they made the New Blood the heels and the Millionaires Club the faces?

I' m not sure that is the way it was intended, to be honest.  IIRC, the New Blood weren't presented as heels...at first.  But the crowd was way more into cheering for Hogan than they were Billy Kidman, and that was when the New Blood veered into heelish territory.  But (and again IIRC) the Millionaires were meant to be full of unlikable past-their-prime guys like Hogan, Nash, Flair, Lex and Sid, but the crowd was much more into them then a cast of never-weres and so they had to shift gears a little.

The biggest problem with stuffing instead of potatoes right now is that they want all the different fanbases watching at the same time. Divide up the rosters and start the brand split again. Give smackdown to the Bryans, Punks and Cesaros of the world. Let them live in their own universe.

I have no desire to see Vince Russo and the Main Event Mafia in the WWE.

I don't keep up anymore, but I watched the Rumble. I think my favorite thing about the whole show were the revolving chants for people not at the show during the Cena/Orton match. I caught Y2J, Undertaker, Randy Savage(!).

Afterwards those same people wonder why the WWE keeps bringing back legends.

• Like 1

90s WCW booking would have the fallout from the Rumble be Mysterio turning heel and attacking Daniel Bryan because he is pissed at being booed.

granted Mysterio would already have "WCW cause" to turn heel on Bryan because Bryan beat up on him once during the Daniel Wyatt run

WCW booking would involve Daniel Bryan turning heel and joining the Authority because he got blocked from the Rumble