DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

My first thought after I read Mysterio at No.30: "Good God are they stupid."

Seriously, you have a guy who has a connection with a crowd that makes people go to shows seemingly just to see him. He's over with everyone, has great matches, turns any shit angle into gold, and the only thing the WWE can think to do is try to find ways to make the crowd like him less. I'm very very confused.

For what it's worth, to steal an idea from Twitter, if they wanted to be completely trolltastic about it, they should have had Barrett come out at 30.

If Barrett came out with a live mic he would have gotten massive heat. That would have been kind of great. I think the whole point was to not take attention away from Batista though.

The big problem with the "ratings are down anyway and they have their core audience so shut up marks" argument is this: if all that's true, and no one other than Rock and Brock have been able to move the needle - and even then only briefly...then why not put on the best possible show for the core audience, instead of actively antagonizing them?

No one's popping a buyrate or getting them over a 4.0 anyway (although what either of those numbers mean in 2014 is a whole other argument). But right now, a bunch of former/casual/lapsed fans are hearing from their friends/Twitter/Facebook/Grantland that the booking is awful and the PTB are out of touch. How is THAT going to help numbers? If you're booking to the audiences you actually have instead of the mythical ones that are going to come back any minute now as soon as you hire another 50 year old, then people start to hear about how fun the show is getting again and how many young guys are getting a chance to shine. The conversation is, "there's this Khal Drogo looking Samoan that's a beast, and this little shaggy dude that's the best wrestler in the world, and a fat dude that walks like a spider...and it's fucking awesome!"

Isn't that at least more likely to get a few more people tuned in than, "Hey, you know that show you stopped watching in 2006? You should come back to it, it's got all the top stars from 2006!"

• Like 2

Well after sleeping on it for a night I can honestly say this is still one of the more infuriating things the WWE has done in a while. Like I said last night, it wouldn't have been such a big deal if it came down to Batista and Bryan. That might have been some actual suspense for everyone. But just the fact they didn't have Bryan in the match at all was just dumb.

I remember reading a news bit a couple weeks ago that after the Michigan State video on ESPN came out, it shamed the WWE into changing plans on Bryan with The Wyatts. But people freaking out about Triple H, while he probably has a lot of say...he is not the one with the final say. As long as Vince is living and breathing, it's his vision and he's the one dicking everyone around with Bryan.

Well after sleeping on it for a night I can honestly say this is still one of the more infuriating things the WWE has done in a while. Like I said last night, it wouldn't have been such a big deal if it came down to Batista and Bryan. That might have been some actual suspense for everyone. But just the fact they didn't have Bryan in the match at all was just dumb.

I remember reading a news bit a couple weeks ago that after the Michigan State video on ESPN came out, it shamed the WWE into changing plans on Bryan with The Wyatts. But people freaking out about Triple H, while he probably has a lot of say...he is not the one with the final say. As long as Vince is living and breathing, it's his vision and he's the one dicking everyone around with Bryan.

Legit heat is the business model since people are hip to kayfabe.  As long as Bryan is on the roster, no fan will just up and stop watching in protest because they'll be cutting Bryan's throat.

He is the Tommy Dreamer of the fed.  Chasing the title is all part of the plan.  As long as he is almost but not quite and continues to have five star epics, fans will still watch

The thing you guys should be considering is that the catch is never as good as the hunt.  So what happens when DB wins the belt and WWE cannot come up with the proper Rogues Gallery of Special Guest Villains to throw at him to make his title run meaningful? Or worse, if the belt just withers around his waist like it did when He Who Cannot Be Named was champ because non-title feuds got pushed to the main event while the title was relegated to the mid-card?

God - Randy Orton really missed his chance.

I mean if I was him (besides not having the hideous tat sleeves) - I would have been out there with Kane yanking fools out left and right until El Torito was the winner

Cm punk head butted an USO and it hurt punk! Everyone is sleeping on this. You don't head butt Samoans.

I was watching Rumble 95 yesterday. Dick Murdoch tried to headbutt Fatu and hurt his head. So Lex Luger, who was watching this, walks up and headbutts Fatu and hurts his head as well. What a goof.

• Like 2

If nothing else, they've really put a bullet in their own THE WWE GIVES THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT~! WE PUT SMILES ON PEOPLES' FACES~! talking point. And decapitated the corpse. And cremated the head and body several miles away from each other.

I also don't know why Batista wasn't #30.

If nothing else - it would have meant like 5 less minutes in the ring. Maybe he wouldn't have been so gassed.

Jesus Dave - work on your cardio

Legit heat is the business model since people are hip to kayfabe.  As long as Bryan is on the roster, no fan will just up and stop watching in protest because they'll be cutting Bryan's throat.

He is the Tommy Dreamer of the fed.  Chasing the title is all part of the plan.  As long as he is almost but not quite and continues to have five star epics, fans will still watch

The thing you guys should be considering is that the catch is never as good as the hunt.  So what happens when DB wins the belt and WWE cannot come up with the proper Rogues Gallery of Special Guest Villains to throw at him to make his title run meaningful? Or worse, if the belt just withers around his waist like it did when He Who Cannot Be Named was champ because non-title feuds got pushed to the main event while the title was relegated to the mid-card?

Hmm, I did not see the Tommy Dreamer analogy until just now. I'd be all for a Bryan/Wyatt feud lasting half as long as Dreamer/Raven. Brie becomes Sister Abigail. It writes it self.

The one thing I was happy to see in the results is the Roman Reigns record breaker.  I was worried that Roman would just be the two-move big dude of the faction but each guy in The Shield is being developed as equally dangerous.

Hmm, I did not see the Tommy Dreamer analogy until just now. I'd be all for a Bryan/Wyatt feud lasting half as long as Dreamer/Raven. Brie becomes Sister Abigail. It writes it self.

The whole Wyatt / Bryan feud is so Raven / Dreamer insipired that it is ridiculous.

Tommy Dreamer stole my "Wouldn't it have been great if Bryan was under the Rey mask" joke. 

• Like 1

And Batista is going to be expected to work a 20-30 minute "epic" match at Mania? Not going to happen.

The prospects of hearing the Dome crowd shit on this match to biblical proportions has actually become a selling point. Well played, WWE. Very well played.

BTW - Reigns eliminated 12 of the possible 23 guys he could (6 guys were eliminated before he entered and counting himself).

So he eliminated 52% of his possible competition.

Also - I like how they gave Kane the fake elimination to keep his total eliminations above Shawn Michaels

It sucks, because I jumped straight to the Rumble match and now I have no desire to go back and watch anything else.  I truly want to know what they thought was going to happen when Rey came out... or better yet, what Batista thought was going to happen right before he came through the curtain.  

I was all about a Batista return, but I didn't think they would go this route.  He better get used to these crowd reactions.  The Rock got away with it, but Batista is decidedly not Rock.  It's amazing that they seem to think The Rock's return is a repeatable formula.