DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

If John Smith posted that on Facebook, ya'll would have been like "What a mark".

Dewey's reaction aside, the fact that his dad - an actual wrestling legend and former World Champion - seems as pissed about this as me (at least via Twitter) feels pretty cool.

let's compare it to roller derby

Roller Derby just hasn't been the same since RollllllllllllllllllerJam ignored the people dude.

What does this have to do with what we're discussing? I have no clue what you're railing against at this point with all these different tangents you're going off on. It's really simple. This started because you said fans are going to keep watching and keep complaining. I've proven to you that is, in fact, not the case. In the same way that The Simpsons is worse than it was six years ago, and in the same way that American Idol is worse than it was six years ago and the ratings bear those out. None of these three entities have really provided the people who left any reason to stick around.

I said the sort of people complaining about this stuff are the ones who are going to keep watching. The numbers in recent years largely bare that out with the usual fans keeping the ship around 3.25 for a few years in a row. The ratings from fucking 2005 are the from 2005 and virtually every freaking show on the air over that period experienced a drop partly due to technological changes. Whatever drop that happened from 2005 to 2009 hasn't continued at the same pace from 2009 to 2014. The people booing Rey Mysterio and shitting on matches live will be back at Wrestlemania. Good for them, but it they really wanted to prove something, they wouldn't even go

I don't have a lot of sympathy for this whole "we're mad as hell and we're gonna take it" bullshit. The people who are really hardcore are the types where they were into this in 1995, 2001, 2007, and 2014. I'm sure there's some dudes who got really hardcore into WWE last year who are in the horde, but the vast majority are people who have been around too long to consider watching something else.

Damn.  At least a couple of times a year Youtube has to remind us how little difference there is on the inside between wrestling fans and VAMPIRE DIARIES fans.

Isn't that the same guy from the Rock video last year?  That's not a bad youtube gimmick if it is.

Foley's wife stopped him from immediately throwing a brick through the tv, but he promises he's going to do it tomorrow when the younger kids are at school, and he can take the tv outside.

I guess the Daniel Bryan silver lining for me is that he's the best wrestler in the world. They're not gonna push him to the moon but they won't fire him. He'll make comedy tag teams, feuds with cults,

Watched the Rumble with about 30 people, and when Roman did his crazy floor punch power up like Mega Man X finding new armor, you could hear everyone's breath sort of leave their body like a 14 year old finding the only copy of Tiffany Amber Theissan's sex tape in 1995.

I don't care about anything else in this thread except whether or not this exists. Please confirm/deny thanks.

Didn't Dustin Diamond claim this was true in his autobiography?

Dude makes fake IDs, not a very trustworthy source.

Foley's newest Facebook post...

HEY WWE....WHAT THE F?

Yes, I'm going to put a brick through my TV. It's just going to have to wait until tomorrow. I had every intention of putting a brick through my TV tonight, after seeing that Daniel Bryan was not even entered in the Royal Rumble match, let alone going to win the thing. But, upon seeing their dad with a brick in his hand, my younger children got a little bit scared, thinking their dad had lost his mind. A rather spirited debate about the wisdom of following through on the promise to put a brick through my TV ensued with my wife - and, as is usually the case in marital debates, I, being the husband, did not emerge victorious. Honestly, the points she made about mercury and glass fragments everywhere were pretty good ones.

But I'm still going to put a brick through my TV. It's just going to have to wait until tomorrow - when the kids are in school, and I can take the TV outside the house for the actual throwing of the brick. Granted, it's not nearly as dramatic as doing it live, right after the Rumble, but at least I will be keeping my word.

As I mentioned on Twitter, I've never felt so disgusted at the conclusion of a WWE (or any) PPV. Like many of you out there, I just don't get it. This Daniel Bryan thing is a phenomenon. You get it. I get it. The fans in Pittsburgh (yes, I was thinking of writing "RIGHT TH...but I'm just not in a cheap pop mood) got it. But tonight, for the first time, I had to admit to myself that the powers that be are just not going to get it. And that makes me sad. I'm just honestly sad, just flat out fucking sad (yes, I dropped an F-bomb there to emphasize how F'ing sad I am for the guys who bust their butts night in and night out - Ziggler, Punk, Bryan, etc - with no hope of getting their shot at this year's Mania.

You know who else I'm sad for? Me. In my two years as an official WWE Ambassador, I never once had to lie about my enthusiasm for the company or the product. Now, although I am no longer officially an Ambassador for WWE (believe it or not, my only official role in WWE is as GM for Saturday Morning Slam, a contract that ends in one month) I was till looking forward to being part of the biggest event of the year. I'll probably end up going anyway. But I'm about 1/6th as excited about it as I was just a few hours ago. I wanted so badly to hear 75,000 WWE fans chanting "YES" - and seeing fans walk away absolutely ecstatic about the outcome of a PPV for the first time in a while...a long while. But when given the chance to make it happen (unless they've got something MAJOR up their sleeve) WWE's answer tonight was a resounding "NO, NO, NO".
  • Like 2

The commercial features Stephanie too, don't know why you're so surprised.

That commercial was AMAZING! A little girl playing with her dolls in her doll house and it flashes forward to Stephanie and the WWE. They can't really be this tone-deaf when it comes to imagery and symbolism can they?

Foley's wife stopped him from immediately throwing a brick through the tv, but he promises he's going to do it tomorrow when the younger kids are at school, and he can take the tv outside.

What I take from this is that Foley can get his brains smashed and destroyed with 50 blood curdling chair shots during a match with Rock with his family in attendance but throwing a brick through a television screen is too far and a bad example for the children.

let's compare it to roller derby

Roller Derby just hasn't been the same since RollllllllllllllllllerJam ignored the people dude.

What does this have to do with what we're discussing? I have no clue what you're railing against at this point with all these different tangents you're going off on. It's really simple. This started because you said fans are going to keep watching and keep complaining. I've proven to you that is, in fact, not the case. In the same way that The Simpsons is worse than it was six years ago, and in the same way that American Idol is worse than it was six years ago and the ratings bear those out. None of these three entities have really provided the people who left any reason to stick around.

I said the sort of people complaining about this stuff are the ones who are going to keep watching. The numbers in recent years largely bare that out with the usual fans keeping the ship around 3.25 for a few years in a row. The ratings from fucking 2005 are the from 2005 and virtually every freaking show on the air over that period experienced a drop partly due to technological changes. Whatever drop that happened from 2005 to 2009 hasn't continued at the same pace from 2009 to 2014. The people booing Rey Mysterio and shitting on matches live will be back at Wrestlemania. Good for them, but it they really wanted to prove something, they wouldn't even go

I don't have a lot of sympathy for this whole "we're mad as hell and we're gonna take it" bullshit. The people who are really hardcore are the types where they were into this in 1995, 2001, 2007, and 2014. I'm sure there's some dudes who got really hardcore into WWE last year who are in the horde, but the vast majority are people who have been around too long to consider watching something else.

If you don't want to go back to 2005, fine, but the numbers are even worse now than they were just 3-4 years ago. In 2010 RAW was consistent in the mid-high 3's. Now they're lucky to pop a 3 rating. I have no idea what amount of viewership that correlates to, but it's a pretty substantial drop. Not all at once, no, but it's a slow burn of people going "eh, this really isn't for me anymore."

I can't begrudge people for buying a ticket to the show and complaining. If you're a wrestling fan, hardcore or casual, the Royal Rumble is the most fun event to watch outside of Wrestlemania. It's even more fun to see it live with some friends and have a few drinks. It's even more fun when you have a specific wrestler who you are dying to see succeed. It's not like these people went there anticipating a bad night. They paid money to see Daniel Bryan win. They didn't get that and they were pissed. Will they keep watching? I don't know, man. But when your entire live audience, social media followers and even retired wrestlers UNDER WWE CONTRACTS are outright telling you that you fucked up, maybe it's time to look in the mirror.

• Like 1