DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

HEY GUYS BATISTA'S COMING BACK WOOHOO!

-- This board, 8 days ago.

Okay, that is pretty amazing.

But there was also:

HEY GUYS BATISTA LOOKS LIKE CLAIRE DUNPHY AND PITBULL HAD A BABY I DONTUNDERSTSND WHENIS HAKUCOMINGBACK!!!!!

--this board, 6 days ago

Bryan doesn't seem like the kind of cat who'd make waves, which makes me wonder if that radio interview Meltzer mentioned and tweets such as tonight's aren't part of some angle

Hunter screws Orton out of the title at Elimination Chamber to get it on Batista (who was all buddy-buddy with Hunter and Steph last week)

Bryan gets booked to face The Machine's hand-picked champion at WrestleMania

A returning Hulk Hogan endorses Bryan, throws all the power of his Hulkamaniacs behind him, and foils HGH's interference, leading to Bryan winning clean before 70,000 deliriously happy fans at the Superdome!

Perchance to dream. Now don't any of you bastards poop on said dream

Chants I think I heard during the title match:

"This is awful"

"We want refunds"

"We want divas"

"3MB"

Add to that chants for Kurt Angle, Randy Savage, Daniel Bryan and the Undertaker.

I'm 90% sure I heard something about "pizza."

Yeah Bryan notwithstanding, this was a badly booked Rumble. Only Cesaro got a shine spot and he'll be gone by the next one. How come Batista didn't come in and clean house?

Too tired.

Yeah, do you have any idea how long that entrance ramp is?

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

They are probably making people do six-month commitments to the WWE Network to avoid people throwing hissy fits and cancelling their subscription after a PPV that they hate. They've found a way to suck money in from people who hate how Daniel Bryan is being used.

and guaran-fucking-tee that the people willing to cross state lines for PPVs are going to whine and take sweet comfort in the WWE network.

You can't feed the machine and then bitch about how it functions.

Crowds like tonight are the fucking definition of the people mentioned in the Brian Pillman Smart Marks promo. They'd seriously spend their last 20 dollars on the WWE and then yell about how unhappy they are

They clearly paid to see one guy, and they didn't get what they wanted, so they let the company know it. What's wrong with that?

This idea that these anti-status quo fans are just going to keep giving WWE their money is ridiculous. In a given week, that's 1-2 million less people watching RAW on a weekly basis than there was when Cena's run on top first started. The PPV buyrates now are in some cases almost half of what they were during that time period.

The idea that people are just going to keep watching and complaining is ridiculous. Millions have tuned the WWE out and if they keep jerking around their fans like this, I'm sure there's more to follow.

how much money could I make selling "If Daniel Bryan loses, we complain online" t-shirts?

if we're talking ratings, they're in the 3s this year, they were in the 3s last year, the 3s in 2012, the 3s in 2011, They've topped 4 a few times in the last 4 years. They've down to their base by now and it's stayed consistent for a few years. Not going to guess what it proves that their ratings are lower than they were in 2005 when Cena was coming up.. no kidding? no Rock for 8 of 9 years, no Flair, no Michaels, no HHH wrestling, no Undertaker for 48 weeks a year, a change in the focus of the fed towards PG which brings aboard new fans at the expense of others.. of course some of the fans are checking out. That's not a thing that happens because of a lack of Daniel Bryan, it's an economic thing that is no surprise when you have one fed with no solid reason to push for 4s or 5s every week.

I just have no reason to take people seriously who keep handing the WWE their money and then bitching that they just got suckered again. The definition of Marks

But.. they're not continually handing WWE money over and over again. What part about this are you not getting? PPV buyrates now outside of Wrestlemania are roughly half of what they were in 2005-06 when Cena/Orton/Batista all ascended to main event status. That means half the people who used to give them money on a monthly basis are actually NOT doing so anymore. 

They also aren't watching RAW anymore. Your excuse really makes no sense. Yes, Flair/Undertaker, etc. are all basically gone, but Cena and Orton were supposed to be the new guys to keep it going.

OVER ONE MILLION less people are watching RAW right now every week than they were when the Cena/Orton/Batista era began. Half their PPV audience has vanished since that same time period. I have no clue what the live attendance numbers are like, but from the few I've been to over the last couple years, I can't imagine they were this bad during the mid 00's. Spin these numbers anyway you want, but they're pretty much undeniable proof that your "people are going to keep watching and still complain" talking point is pure horseshit.

-If they're stupid enough to keep Bryan out of the main event, why didn't they keep the program with Shawn Michaels going?

-I can't think of a single match at WM that looks exciting.... Punk/Kane, Shield/Shield, Cena/Wyatts, Orton/Batista, Undertaker/who gives a fuck.

I just have no reason to take people seriously who keep handing the WWE their money and then bitching that they just got suckered again. The definition of Marks

Do you pay for pro wrestling?

Nah.

I heard a rumor that paying for stuff is not a necessity in this realm

Bryan doesn't seem like the kind of cat who'd make waves, which makes me wonder if that radio interview Meltzer mentioned and tweets such as tonight's aren't part of some angle

Hunter screws Orton out of the title at Elimination Chamber to get it on Batista (who was all buddy-buddy with Hunter and Steph last week)

Bryan gets booked to face The Machine's hand-picked champion at WrestleMania

A returning Hulk Hogan endorses Bryan, throws all the power of his Hulkamaniacs behind him, and foils HGH's interference, leading to Bryan winning clean before 70,000 deliriously happy fans at the Superdome!

Perchance to dream. Now don't any of you bastards poop on said dream

Maybe he's realized he's going to have to go the "fuck you guys, give me what I want or I'm leaving" CM Punk route to get his push. When is Bryan's contract up?

I know most (all?) of you guys are gaga over him, but Roman Reigns, the Shield guy I find the least interesting, and who, aside from a few power moves and being gorgeous, has not shown much of being a star, getting what is, like, the first post-Lesnar superpush, is outright obnoxious.

MVP of the show was easily the Pittsburgh crowd. Honourable mention goes to the commentators for sheepishly continuing on with their script when the crowd has turned on the product. I always love that. Michael Cole having to swallow his pride with a side of fopsweat is only made better by him being "the voice of the WWE."

• Like 2

Everyone figured Ryback had gone off the reservation a couple weeks ago and in reality they were just using Twitter to try and enhance his character. I can't not think that the same thing's in play here. 

You mean that part where he deleted his entire Twitter, then claimed he'd been hacked?

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

They are probably making people do six-month commitments to the WWE Network to avoid people throwing hissy fits and cancelling their subscription after a PPV that they hate. They've found a way to suck money in from people who hate how Daniel Bryan is being used.

and guaran-fucking-tee that the people willing to cross state lines for PPVs are going to whine and take sweet comfort in the WWE network.

You can't feed the machine and then bitch about how it functions.

Crowds like tonight are the fucking definition of the people mentioned in the Brian Pillman Smart Marks promo. They'd seriously spend their last 20 dollars on the WWE and then yell about how unhappy they are

They clearly paid to see one guy, and they didn't get what they wanted, so they let the company know it. What's wrong with that?

This idea that these anti-status quo fans are just going to keep giving WWE their money is ridiculous. In a given week, that's 1-2 million less people watching RAW on a weekly basis than there was when Cena's run on top first started. The PPV buyrates now are in some cases almost half of what they were during that time period.

The idea that people are just going to keep watching and complaining is ridiculous. Millions have tuned the WWE out and if they keep jerking around their fans like this, I'm sure there's more to follow.

how much money could I make selling "If Daniel Bryan loses, we complain online" t-shirts?

if we're talking ratings, they're in the 3s this year, they were in the 3s last year, the 3s in 2012, the 3s in 2011, They've topped 4 a few times in the last 4 years. They've down to their base by now and it's stayed consistent for a few years. Not going to guess what it proves that their ratings are lower than they were in 2005 when Cena was coming up.. no kidding? no Rock for 8 of 9 years, no Flair, no Michaels, no HHH wrestling, no Undertaker for 48 weeks a year, a change in the focus of the fed towards PG which brings aboard new fans at the expense of others.. of course some of the fans are checking out. That's not a thing that happens because of a lack of Daniel Bryan, it's an economic thing that is no surprise when you have one fed with no solid reason to push for 4s or 5s every week.

But.. they're not continually handing WWE money over and over again. What part about this are you not getting? PPV buyrates now outside of Wrestlemania are roughly half of what they were in 2005-06 when Cena/Orton/Batista all ascended to main event status. That means half the people who used to give them money on a monthly basis are actually NOT doing so anymore. 

They also aren't watching RAW anymore. Your excuse really makes no sense. Yes, Flair/Undertaker, etc. are all basically gone, but Cena and Orton were supposed to be the new guys to keep it going.

OVER ONE MILLION less people are watching RAW right now every week than they were when the Cena/Orton/Batista era began. Half their PPV audience has vanished since that same time period. I have no clue what the live attendance numbers are like, but from the few I've been to over the last couple years, I can't imagine they were this bad during the mid 00's. Spin these numbers anyway you want, but they're pretty much undeniable proof that your "people are going to keep watching and still complain" talking point is pure horseshit.

So?

How many products get judged on their numbers compared to 8 years ago as opposed to more recent frames of reference? Bush was President when Cena became a name, people used MySpace back then, lots of stuff changes in 8 years

Let's just say that a lot of the one million 2005 people not watching now left the ship a long fucking time ago. They've been pretty consistently between 3 and 3.5 for most of the Obama administration. They bled a bit in the later 2000s and they stablized their audience.

The WWE audience are kids and people who swear their next carton is their final carton. What you guys are doing isn't exactly working

If you want a "wait and see camp" response to tonight, it's that only about a quarter of the Rumble winners in the past 10 or so years has actually been in the final match on the card at Mania and Bryan could still win the shot from Batista and may just be a matter of this being in Batista's contract. But I doubt it, mostly since Batista's tweets make it clear to me he wouldn't be willing to job to guy like Bryan and he holds the cards right now really. DB needs a pipe bomb or he's more or less fucked. Punk took his ready made feud away from him, Batista took his main event slot, he was probably better off as a Wyatt if he wanted a chance at the Taker slot, and HBK still feels like a pipedream. DB vs Ambrose for the US Title ftw~!