DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

So if Guardians of the Galaxy bombs... does Batista's push end then?

The movie tie-in as a reason to give Batista the title makes me scratch my head. Like, yeah he's gonna be doing press for the movie, but do you think he's going to be going out on Letterman or Regis and Kelly with the title? He's going to do the interviews that Bradley Cooper/Chris Pratt, etc. don't have time for. He's like the 10th most famous person in the movie.

Publicly executing the loser?

Ah, my old college roommate and I used to always propose a "Winner gets fired, loser gets shot" match for two guys we didn't like...  Double the buyrate.

I haven't been impressed with Wyatt in the ring, but he had arguably his best match ever with Bryan tonight. But after his reaction to interrupting the Cena/Orton match, no one gave two shits about their beat down. Bad sign. 

I like Bray, so I don't want to downplay his performance, but Bryan can have a match like that with just about anyone in the world at this point. Wyatt held his own though.

I love the idea that people think NAO are tag champs because they're friends with Triple H because they were portrayed as friends 14 years ago on WWE TV.  I mean, these are the same guys who buried Triple H in a shoot after leaving WWE, whether they buried the hatchet or not, I'm pretty sure this isn't a case of Triple H going "I want my friends to be champs" and more like "The Rhodes Bros. have been champs for a while and we need a heel team to take the belts off them and the Real Americans are too much of a joke team to be winning the titles without some other wins and The Shield has other things going on and we have no other heel teams".

• Like 2

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

They are probably making people do six-month commitments to the WWE Network to avoid people throwing hissy fits and cancelling their subscription after a PPV that they hate. They've found a way to suck money in from people who hate how Daniel Bryan is being used.

and guaran-fucking-tee that the people willing to cross state lines for PPVs are going to whine and take sweet comfort in the WWE network.

You can't feed the machine and then bitch about how it functions.

Crowds like tonight are the fucking definition of the people mentioned in the Brian Pillman Smart Marks promo. They'd seriously spend their last 20 dollars on the WWE and then yell about how unhappy they are

• Like 3

Most important thing, IMO, is for everyone to immediately start saying HUH HUH WHAT DO YOU PAYOFF GUYS THINK NOW so that we can continue listening to your terrible opinions.

For heaven's sake, I've never seen so many people be proud of being jaded, cynical fuckheads. And getting actively angry at people who still get some joy out of wrestling.

• Like 10

Oh, you didn't know?

PBS is running Antiques Roadshow.

You might want to give that a shot, Monday night at 9:00!

YAY, PIRANESI!

The reaction to this show is causing flashbacks to Mabel-licious 1995 King of the Ring in Philly

Can you even begin to fathom just how badly the Mania crowd (75,000 of your smartest, most diehard fans from all over the world) will shit on Batista/Orton? I mean what in God's heavenly kingdom can they do to make people care about that match that doesn't involve inserting Bryan into the equation somehow?

Almost literally nothing.

What if we get Batista vs HHH vs Orton at Mania?

Only if Ric Flair hires the San Francisco 49ers to beat down those three to give him another title run.  Which is ollowed by the Carolina Panthers cashing in a Money in the Bank contract two minutes later.

People might just fucking leave if that happens. This Mania has the potential to be the first Mania in a long time in which people just fucking leave due to apathy. Has that ever happened before?

Man, when Rey's music hit I could feel the air being sucked out of the building and I live six hours away from Pittsburgh. I think people could have lived with Big Dave eliminating Daniel Bryan in some cheap bullshit way. But this was just the WWE showing they don't give two shits about what the fans want.

If it came down to Bryan and Batista, it would have been at least a tad bit more suspenseful even though we all knew Batista was winning.

As for the rest of the show, Bryan/Bray might be a legit MOTY candidate and Brock Lesnar beat The Big Show like he owed him money. Brock was just probably imagining it was Cain Velasquez with each chair shot.

Ah, my old college roommate and I used to always propose a "Winner gets fired, loser gets shot" match for two guys we didn't like...  Double the buyrate.

once the WWE buys TNA off of the courthouse steps, they can just hold a Feast or Famine match where both guys get the "you're fired" briefcases

I haven't been impressed with Wyatt in the ring, but he had arguably his best match ever with Bryan tonight. But after his reaction to interrupting the Cena/Orton match, no one gave two shits about their beat down. Bad sign. 

Crowd was just so damn happy that match was over.

It's well known I'm a huge fan of Cena's ring work...  But holy fuck that was awful.

You could SEE the wheels turning in both of their heads as to how to make the best of it, and to their credit they tried. Although their version of Rock-Austin came off as really Indy-riffic, but they could have done Flair-Steamboat step for step and the crowd had made up their minds anyway.  

And by the way, they may want to stop this whole "putting Ric Flair in front of live mics on a broadcast thing". When you're being out-orated by Hacksaw Jim Duggan AND Shawn Michaels, it might be time to lay off the kamikazes until after the show. 

Yeah, I figure the Usos are gonna win it soon from them so that's fine.

Shit, it's not even about Orton and Batista getting booed out of 'Mania, is that's we have like eight weeks of build-up. How the hell does that not go completely off the rails?

What if we get Batista vs HHH vs Orton at Mania?

Only if Ric Flair hires the San Francisco 49ers to beat down those three to give him another title run.  Which is ollowed by the Carolina Panthers cashing in a Money in the Bank contract two minutes later.

People might just fucking leave if that happens. This Mania has the potential to be the first Mania in a long time in which people just fucking leave due to apathy. Has that ever happened before?

Oddly enough, if you look close at Wrestlemania X, you can see people leaving before Bret/Yoko.

The way I see it is Bryan is the transformative figure Punk wanted to be. He has united all of the various diehard fanbases.

I'm still thankful that we get to watch him bring it weekly on the big stage. It's disappointing that WWE will forever be chasing the casuals.

The Rumble match wasn't only missing Bryan. It was also missing old timers and returning stars (outside of Sheamus) to pop the crowd.

ADR got to look like a chump to Batista again.

Punk got eliminated in bs fashion for a feud nobody cares about.

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

They are probably making people do six-month commitments to the WWE Network to avoid people throwing hissy fits and cancelling their subscription after a PPV that they hate. They've found a way to suck money in from people who hate how Daniel Bryan is being used.

Right, except they don't have my sixty bucks yet, do they?

Are you willing to vow never to give them money over this, no matter how awesome their programming is?

So if Guardians of the Galaxy bombs... does Batista's push end then?

The movie tie-in as a reason to give Batista the title makes me scratch my head. Like, yeah he's gonna be doing press for the movie, but do you think he's going to be going out on Letterman or Regis and Kelly with the title? He's going to do the interviews that Bradley Cooper/Chris Pratt, etc. don't have time for. He's like the 10th most famous person in the movie.

I suppose it would cause problems if he has to miss a lot of time due to foreign press tours.

If a title was a stipulation in his contract, I can see how it would make sense to try to get it in ASAP before he gets injured.

I am trying to figure out just who's bowl of cornflakes Big Show shit in to get that treatment.

I saw on Twitter after that match, someone was talking about him being injured, which would explain why that match went the way it did, which was just really weird. But it was from a 4th or 5th person source so I have no idea if it was true.

There seemed to be a lot less pointing at the Wrestlemania sign this year. I think I only saw it happen once (excluding after the match was finished). So that's a nice trend & something to be positive about

There seemed to be a lot less pointing at the Wrestlemania sign this year. I think I only saw it happen once (excluding after the match was finished). So that's a nice trend & something to be positive about

Well shit, when its telegraphed weeks ahead who's gonna win and its obivious, why even bother with anyone acting like they actually have a shot.

I love the idea that people think NAO are tag champs because they're friends with Triple H because they were portrayed as friends 14 years ago on WWE TV.  I mean, these are the same guys who buried Triple H in a shoot after leaving WWE, whether they buried the hatchet or not, I'm pretty sure this isn't a case of Triple H going "I want my friends to be champs" and more like "The Rhodes Bros. have been champs for a while and we need a heel team to take the belts off them and the Real Americans are too much of a joke team to be winning the titles without some other wins and The Shield has other things going on and we have no other heel teams".

Maybe they are champs because WWE wants to suck in people with Attitude Era nostalgia so that they can sell the WWE Network to more people.

• Like 1