DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

There WAS a lot of good tonight. Bryan-Wyatt, Brock keeping a chair like it was the Hammer of Thor and at least 10 highspots (if not more) from the Rumble match was all great stuff. 

But the stuff that was clearly NOT what the crowd wanted is going to overshadow everything else. I don't know what they can do with Orton at this point except give him an extended leave and hope to God he can be salvaged when he comes back. Not to mention Batista's main event babyface push might be DOA. 

Actually, the company is fucking up with their new Russo-esque "shades of grey" mentality with heels and babyfaces. Like, how the fuck should a little kid be excited about The Authority's two best friends fighting over a title?

I'm not convinced that Orton will be champ going into Wrestlemania.

Yeah Rusev was impressive as hell!

Still, when the whole arena is chanting for Roman Reigns at the end of the Rumble and they don't call an audible right there to make him a star?

That's when you know the mentality of WCW in the latter half of the 90s is in effect.

I have NEVER heard an entire arena boo the winner of The Royal Rumble like that!

James

Bryan not being in the Rumble might be a little more tolerable if he hadn't jobbed cleanly in the OPENING fucking match of the card. 

Weirdly enough, Daniel Bryan jobbing clean to Bray Wyatt was the best-booked thing of the night. 

It was a perfect set-up.  Keeps Bray strong for the Cena feud.  Gives Bryan odds to overcome when he wins the Rumble.  Gives Bryan a built in first feud after mania, especially if he wins the belt.

Then...  BATISTA.

• Like 3

Reigns was fucking amazing, though. Sheamus too, either of those winning at the end would carve my interest more than a Batista win. Batista looked gassed and sloppy as fuck as well, those chicken legs he was sporting and cheek implants make me never want to see his face on my laptop screen again.

I guess Show got his receipt tonight for those weak Survivor Series numbers, right? Christ.

Oh and a special mention to Zebb ruling the fucking planet.

It is like I said somewhere else.  It isn't that they only want to see Dolph Ziggler & Daniel Bryan & CM Punk it is that they want to see something new and different.  The idea that everyone still wants to see Orton and Cena and Batista in the main event is just stupid

I knew that Batista was going to win and probably 98% of the people in the crowd knew it as well.   So let them be entertained by guys like Daniel Bryan.

After Bryan jobbed cleanly to Bray, I thought for sure Bryan was going to make a surprise entrance in the Rumble and win it. Crowd would have ate it up and would be an intriguing way to continue the Bryan-Wyatt feud: Bryan secured the title shot, but he needs to avenge his loss to Wyatt.

This is ridiculously frustrating. You have the entire fanbase rooting for Bryan and you leave him out of the Rumble. And from a business standpoint, it makes no sense. They're essentially leaving money on the table.

Kudos to the Pittsburgh crowd for voicing their opinion.

Also, I can't believe no one else has commented on the fact that Batista was too blown up to celebrate his victory.

His cardio seems worse than The Rock's was when he came back. Randy Orton is going to have to carry him at WM 30. How frightening of a thought is that?

• Like 1

Reigns was fucking amazing, though. Sheamus too, either of those winning at the end would carve my interest more than a Batista win. Batista looked gassed and sloppy as fuck as well, those chicken legs he was sporting and cheek implants make me never want to see his face on my laptop screen again.

I guess Show got his receipt tonight for those weak Survivor Series numbers, right? Christ.

Oh and a special mention to Zebb ruling the fucking planet.

Zeb's signs tonight were fantastic

we're pretending that this crowd was mainly from Pittsburgh, right? and not the usual assortment of marks who travel for big PPVs? just checking..

The WWE TV crowds are a weird cross-section of wailing smart marks and 9 year olds, aren't they? probably the internet-markiest crowds ever because they're the only ones crazy enough to pay the prices to get close to the ring at big PPVs.

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

Just turn Batista tomorrow night. It's not like they have much on the heel side at this moment. Just turn him and have him go off on the reaction he got for winning the Rumble, and how "all the real fans are grateful I returned to improve their lives", how he's backed by the Silent Majority and how he won't let "entitled whiners living with their parents" get him down. It'll be a fun little thing for one of those creatives to write.

And take the belt off Orton before WM. Maybe just have Brock kill him within 3 minutes to throw people off when a PPV main event ends at 10:25.

It's Batista/Brock, surely?

The only thing that could be worse than former UFC Champion Brock Lesnar having to put over John Cena and Triple H cleanly in his first year with the company is former UFC Champion Brock Lesnar having to put over a 45-year-old failed MMA fighter cleanly at Wrestlemania.

Which means, that's probably your main event for WM30.

• Like 1

Still, when the whole arena is chanting for Roman Reigns at the end of the Rumble and they don't call an audible right there to make him a star?

That's when you know the mentality of WCW in the latter half of the 90s is in effect.

I have NEVER heard an entire arena boo the winner of The Royal Rumble like that!

That seems like an unrealistic expectation. How many matches in wrestling history have had their finishes changed mid-match due to someone calling an audible for reasons other than injury?