DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

I am trying to figure out just who's bowl of cornflakes Big Show shit in to get that treatment.

I saw on Twitter after that match, someone was talking about him being injured, which would explain why that match went the way it did, which was just really weird. But it was from a 4th or 5th person source so I have no idea if it was true.

There seemed to be a lot less pointing at the Wrestlemania sign this year. I think I only saw it happen once (excluding after the match was finished). So that's a nice trend & something to be positive about

I forget, are we coming off of a random Big Show return or approaching a random Big Show vacation?

Someone called this what it was in an earlier post; adversarial booking. Vince, HHH, and the rest of the Titan Team want one thing, & the fans want another. 

Interested to see what the fans do tomorrow.

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

They are probably making people do six-month commitments to the WWE Network to avoid people throwing hissy fits and cancelling their subscription after a PPV that they hate. They've found a way to suck money in from people who hate how Daniel Bryan is being used.

and guaran-fucking-tee that the people willing to cross state lines for PPVs are going to whine and take sweet comfort in the WWE network.

You can't feed the machine and then bitch about how it functions.

Crowds like tonight are the fucking definition of the people mentioned in the Brian Pillman Smart Marks promo. They'd seriously spend their last 20 dollars on the WWE and then yell about how unhappy they are

They clearly paid to see one guy, and they didn't get what they wanted, so they let the company know it. What's wrong with that?

This idea that these "smarks" are just going to keep giving WWE their money is ridiculous. In a given week, that's 1-2 million less people watching RAW on a weekly basis than there was when Cena's run on top first started. The PPV buyrates now are in some cases almost half of what they were during that time period.

The idea that people are just going to keep watching and complaining is ridiculous. Millions have tuned the WWE out and if they keep jerking around their fans like this, I'm sure there's more to follow.

I am all for a show writing for what they think will sell. You can only cock tease for so long before people go "Fuck it." And some how, the WWE has been able to push that fine line...

But this HHH's reign is kinda blech. It comes across more like fantasy booking than anything else. HHH ain't got a belt, but he is still on top. 4 of his buddies are the title holders. Including Orton, who people are just fucking done with. And his wife cuts promos almost every show she is on about how shit the talent is.

It's like unless you are one of those people, this show ain't for you.

I am trying to figure out just who's bowl of cornflakes Big Show shit in to get that treatment.

I saw on Twitter after that match, someone was talking about him being injured, which would explain why that match went the way it did, which was just really weird. But it was from a 4th or 5th person source so I have no idea if it was true.

There seemed to be a lot less pointing at the Wrestlemania sign this year. I think I only saw it happen once (excluding after the match was finished). So that's a nice trend & something to be positive about

They needed to have Brock murder Show to build him up for 'Mania after how awful he was booked since coming back to WWE.

• Like 1

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

They are probably making people do six-month commitments to the WWE Network to avoid people throwing hissy fits and cancelling their subscription after a PPV that they hate. They've found a way to suck money in from people who hate how Daniel Bryan is being used.
Right, except they don't have my sixty bucks yet, do they?
Are you willing to vow never to give them money over this, no matter how awesome their programming is?

This "Oh those smarks will watch no matter what" stuff is bullshit. I was that typical awful bitching internet smark for years, and quit watching for a good five or six years until Bill Simmons talked me back into things during the Punk stuff. People really do abandon ship. And it's much easier to hook the "casuals" when they're hearing good things from their friends or Twitter feeds.

• Like 1

i understand where people are coming from when they say if you dont like it stop spending money on it, but then it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy

wwe: daniel bryan fans dont spend money so we're not going to push him

fans: youre not going to push the guy i want to see so fuck you, im out

wwe: told ya

• Like 2

Are you willing to vow never to give them money over this, no matter how awesome their programming is?

I used to get PPVs fairly regularly, once upon a time.

I get the Rumble now. I got MitB when Punk was leaving, and I think maybe the one after. I've stopped watching Raw and Smackdown - I actually cancelled that channel off of my cable package without a moment's thought.

So I'm at least one "die hard" fan they've largely managed to alienate.

The Network, when it comes to Canada, might get me to give them money again. But it might not.

Also, there's a Catch-22. If you buy a PPV, then people say you're just giving them money no matter what so your opinion doesn't matter. If you don't buy a PPV, then people say you're not a paying customer so your opinion doesn't matter.

• Like 1

This Punk-Authority feud is so poorly written. It's basically turned into just, Punk and Kane don't like each other. What was the point of even having him enter at 1? Kane could have had Punk enter at 25 and still eliminated him the same way he did. And it wasn't even like the Authority's "goons" (Shield or HHH's buddy Nash) paid any sort of special attention to Punk in the match. They all just kind of did their own thing.

And on that note, why the fuck was Punk even in the match so long? He laid in the corner for about half of his 50 minutes. The most memorable thing he did was get hurricanrana'd by a midget.

• Like 1

Well I would but there's this vow to chase down the six-fingered man who killed my father to deal with first. Seriously what are you, a cartoon character?

This was exactly the wrong reminder to give me one month before the Network goes live: That no matter how cheaply I paid for it, WWE PPVs will leave me feeling disappointed more often than not.

So let me get this straight. Wrestlemania XXX the most important show in the history of the all times is going to be main evented by two guys that both are kind of main eventers in the broad sense that absolutely no one cares about, one of whom hasn't been active for 4 years.

Sounds good to me.

After about the 7th or 8th chair shot after the match,  Big Show gives a look to I think the crowd that was like "will you fucking stop they get it already".   After that he wasn't even trying to sell it

First of all, Zeb was MVP of the night for me. Until I saw what was written on the second sign he brought out with Cesaro, I totally forgot about the contents of the first sign. He had me laughing for a good two or three minutes. He's a racist dick, but at least he's a funny racist dick.

I know people are probably posting stuff I'm going to say to some degree. I'm just going to preface this by saying that when I watch a show in real time, I'm in my personal fan zone; I have to go back later to enjoy the matches for what they are.

On that note, I really hated this show, as did my family. I just wanted Bryan to win the Rumble and get his moment in the sun. It was totally deflating when Rey came out at thirty (and I forgot that he was in the damn thing or I would have realized more quickly that I would be disappointed). 

It also made it retroactively deflating that Bryan lost straight up to Bray Wyatt. There were cool spots and all and the match was well-paced, but that's not really what I was watching for live.

The Rumble and EC are my two favorite PPVs, so it kinda sucks that this Rumble was so (from a personal preference perspective, not from a work perspective) disappointing and crappy. 

This Punk-Authority feud is so poorly written. It's basically turned into just, Punk and Kane don't like each other. What was the point of even having him enter at 1? Kane could have had Punk enter at 25 and still eliminated him the same way he did. And it wasn't even like the Authority's "goons" (Shield or HHH's buddy Nash) paid any sort of special attention to Punk in the match. They all just kind of did their own thing.

That would have been so much better if Kane comes in, eliminates Punk, then hops over the top rope to eliminate himself because all he cares about is denying Punk.

So let me get this straight. Wrestlemania XXX the most important show in the history of the all times is going to be main evented by two guys that both are kind of main eventers in the broad sense that absolutely no one cares about, one of whom hasn't been active for 4 years.

Well, let's not kid ourselves. Orton and Batista aren't closing the show. Undertaker will, I'm sure. And whatever Cena is doing will be higher profile, and I imagine that Punk and Hunter will be pimped more heavily.

I mean, they're stubborn and delusional but they even know that Orton and Batista is far from the most important match on the show.

and guaran-fucking-tee that the people willing to cross state lines for PPVs are going to whine and take sweet comfort in the WWE network.

You can't feed the machine and then bitch about how it functions.

Crowds like tonight are the fucking definition of the people mentioned in the Brian Pillman Smart Marks promo. They'd seriously spend their last 20 dollars on the WWE and then yell about how unhappy they are

They clearly paid to see one guy, and they didn't get what they wanted, so they let the company know it. What's wrong with that?

This idea that these anti-status quo fans are just going to keep giving WWE their money is ridiculous. In a given week, that's 1-2 million less people watching RAW on a weekly basis than there was when Cena's run on top first started. The PPV buyrates now are in some cases almost half of what they were during that time period.

The idea that people are just going to keep watching and complaining is ridiculous. Millions have tuned the WWE out and if they keep jerking around their fans like this, I'm sure there's more to follow.

how much money could I make selling "If Daniel Bryan loses, we complain online" t-shirts?

if we're talking ratings, they're in the 3s this year, they were in the 3s last year, the 3s in 2012, the 3s in 2011, They've topped 4 a few times in the last 4 years. They've down to their base by now and it's stayed consistent for a few years. Not going to guess what it proves that their ratings are lower than they were in 2005 when Cena was coming up.. no kidding? no Rock for 8 of 9 years, no Flair, no Michaels, no HHH wrestling, no Undertaker for 48 weeks a year, a change in the focus of the fed towards PG which brings aboard new fans at the expense of others.. of course some of the fans are checking out. That's not a thing that happens because of a lack of Daniel Bryan, it's an economic thing that is no surprise when you have one fed with no solid reason to push for 4s or 5s every week.

I just have no reason to take people seriously who keep handing the WWE their money and then bitching that they just got suckered again. The definition of Marks