DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

Are we just ignoring that every single show on television except the NFL, basically (and maybe MLB) is getting lower ratings than it (or shows in the same basic slot) did 8 years ago?

motherfucker just made my point before I made it

it's almost like ratings have changed in a world where people can just DVR everything and watch it later. Weird how stuff changes in 9 years. I'm gonna post it to my MySpace and crosspost it to Xanga.

Btw, someone mentioned Reigns earlier, and not getting the love. I'm in the same boat. I see nothing special about the dude. I'd take Big E over him in a heartbeat.

It was me. Specifically, I don't mind Reigns, but this absurd push is turning me against him pretty quick.

What absurd push is Roman getting? 

He beat Kane's record.

If that's the case then we should fire everyone on top, and hire every artist that was on the ESPN Jock Jams albums.

How's their ring work?

One of the groups on the album is Tag Team. So there is some talent on those records

Yeah, he popped that big 5.2M viewership spike in Raw in hour one, which proceeded to tail off afterwards.

That was all Batista's long awaited return, baby. 

I didn't watch the PPV. I went to go see "Nebraska" instead. I read about what happened. Sounds like total crap. Orton's horrendous and Batista's not much better (unless he's being Hollywood Dave). I'm watching Flair/Steamboat 2/3 falls right now... so I'm having a good wrestling night.

See Triple H, now you've gone and pissed off Dewey.

Be9iR4PIMAERlVf.jpg

Little Dewey vs. Triple H at Mania.

You do know Dewey's in his 20s now, right?  Beyond the Mat was 14 years ago...

Wow. I knew Noelle was around 20-something but I figured Dewey was 18 or 19.

When products are giving you essentially the exact same thing now that they gave you 8 years ago then yes, it is quite fair to judge them on the numbers. If the same two teams played for the Superbowl every year, I don't know that the NFL's ratings would be as ridiculously high as they are now.

Dude, the numbers across the board are worse than they were when Cena got on top, and they're worse than they were when Obama took office if that's the barometer you'd rather use. Again, spin it however you wish. The numbers bear out that you're dead wrong in whatever point you're trying to get across.

there's not a whole lot of room to compare sports to scripted television. I'd say the best scripted TV comparison to the WWE is the Simpsons. The Simpsons averaged 9 million viewers in 2007, and they're at 6.5 million this year.

So it's not like intellectual laziness is exactly confined to just the WWE. Some other shows can stay on the air for years with a steeper decline in their ratings. Fortunately I don't read message boards talking about how the Simpsons really need to shape up before they lose their core fans, so I won't pretend those boards exist.

Hm, is there any TV show that was on the air in 2005 and 2014 that has better ratings in 2014? it seems like there'd be a few, right?

Do you think anyone who watches The Simpsons regularly would try to deny that people have stopped watching because of the declining quality of the show?

I do, and I wouldn't. 

So what are you trying to argue now, that WWE HAS lost fans, but that's okay because everyone else has to? That's a far cry from where we started a couple pages back with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU IS GOING TO KEEP GIVING THEM MONEY AND COMPLAINING YOU RETARDS.

I think the WWE fanbase is the weekly episodic leaders in giving a shit about the ratings of the show they watch, as if it means anything to the quality of the show they watched. The show is the show, the ratings are the ratings. You're comparing the state of 2005 to 2014, i'm noting that there has been a stablization to a new normal (which is not an endorsement of that normal, just an acknowledgment) over the recent years.

They're less popular now than 2005 in the ratings. That drop from 2005 to 2014 puts them on pace to drop another few million by 2023. Oh fuckkkkkkkkk

I guess the Daniel Bryan silver lining for me is that he's the best wrestler in the world. They're not gonna push him to the moon but they won't fire him. He'll make comedy tag teams, feuds with cults,

Watched the Rumble with about 30 people, and when Roman did his crazy floor punch power up like Mega Man X finding new armor, you could hear everyone's breath sort of leave their body like a 14 year old finding the only copy of Tiffany Amber Theissan's sex tape in 1995.

I don't care about anything else in the thread except whether or not this exists. Please confirm/deny thanks.
  • Like 3

Are we just ignoring that every single show on television except the NFL, basically (and maybe MLB) is getting lower ratings than it (or shows in the same basic slot) did 8 years ago?

it's almost like ratings have changed in a world where people can just DVR everything and watch it later. Weird how stuff changes in 9 years. I'm gonna post it to my MySpace and crosspost it to Xanga.

Not exactly. Every sport but MLB is getting higher ratings than they used to. Network TV ratings may be down but Cable TV ratings are up.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel Batista would be significantly more popular if he hadn't worn those skinny jeans.

He shouldn't be dressed as anything except Miami Vice Druglord Goon #2. That's your God-given thing, Batista. Embrace it. 

I guess the Daniel Bryan silver lining for me is that he's the best wrestler in the world. They're not gonna push him to the moon but they won't fire him. He'll make comedy tag teams, feuds with cults,

Watched the Rumble with about 30 people, and when Roman did his crazy floor punch power up like Mega Man X finding new armor, you could hear everyone's breath sort of leave their body like a 14 year old finding the only copy of Tiffany Amber Theissan's sex tape in 1995.

I don't care about anything else in this thread except whether or not this exists. Please confirm/deny thanks.

Didn't Dustin Diamond claim this was true in his autobiography?

Not exactly. Every sport but MLB is getting higher ratings than they used to. Network TV ratings may be down but Cable TV ratings are up.

I don't know dude, the NBA's 2014 ratings may not compare to some of their ratings from 10 years ago.

Also, the WWE isn't a sport, it's a scripted TV show that involves athletic things. Comparing the two isn't exactly accurate

I think that's because people are finally realizing a Los Zetas beheading video is more exciting to watch than an MLB regular season game.

I think the WWE fanbase is the weekly episodic leaders in giving a shit about the ratings of the show they watch, as if it means anything to the quality of the show they watched. The show is the show, the ratings are the ratings. You're comparing the state of 2005 to 2014, i'm noting that there has been a stablization to a new normal (which is not an endorsement of that normal, just an acknowledgment) over the recent years.

They're less popular now than 2005 in the ratings. That drop from 2005 to 2014 puts them on pace to drop another few million by 2023. Oh fuckkkkkkkkk

What does this have to do with what we're discussing? I have no clue what you're railing against at this point with all these different tangents you're going off on. It's really simple. This started because you said fans are going to keep watching and keep complaining. I've proven to you that is, in fact, not the case. In the same way that The Simpsons is worse than it was six years ago, and in the same way that American Idol is worse than it was six years ago and the ratings bear those out. None of these three entities have really provided the people who left any reason to stick around.

I don't know dude, the NBA's 2014 ratings may not compare to some of their ratings from 10 years ago.

Also, the WWE isn't a sport, it's a scripted TV show that involves athletic things. Comparing the two isn't exactly accurate

I don't think it's anymore fair to compare it to The Simpsons than it is to compare it to the NFL. There's nothing else like it on TV. It's a pretty unique program.

And for the record, the NBA's finals ratings are much better now than they were in the mid 00's.

I think that's because people are finally realizing a Los Zetas beheading video is more exciting to watch than an MLB regular season game.

the Royals repeatedly broke their ratings record this year. I suspect I should be excited about that because high ratings is more important than anything else.

And I'm blaming the lazy FOX people for the whole nationwide MLB-ratings thing. the game is sound enough, they just don't give a shit about building it up. But that's off-topic. And the Los Zetas work a lot like Jun Kasai, same spots in every match