DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I'm sure the first one is okay, I seem to have more memories of the second shitty sequel tho'.  I watched so much awful shit back when it was rental stores and box art.  Bordello of Blood, Strangeland, Doom Generation.  I only watched this shitty shit once yet still have tons of vivid recollections.  Like a lot of that early rental anime is tattooed to my brain and still shapes my perception.  Who the hell would give M.D Geist the time of day now?  That Crow era to the Spawn era was the time when movie soundtracks were halfway worth a shit.  Then again that whole post '95 era birthed everything that is "hard rock".  I don't know how else to explain it.  My local station is 98.9 the bear.  I call it "bear metal"  this really lame melodic singing/kinda MJK, growly shit, then really quiet "heavy" guitars. Like the only band I remember is Flyleaf.  They would've been on the Crow 7 soundtrack.

Doom Generation

HEY NOW. Rose McGowan.

If you want to really crap on that era of edgy-neo-Tarantinoism go back and watch Killing Zoe.

Bordello of Blood is shitty shit shit but I'll defend Demon Knight forever (AND BECAUSE OF THE SOUNDTRACK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SO FAR TOO!!! "1-800-SUICIDE" MAFUCKAS!!! BOUGHT ON TAPE!!!).

That one Crow sequel with Edward Furlong, Dennis Hopper, David Boreanaz, and a buncha other "holy shit, how did they get THAT GUY" cast members was an underlooked sleeper, as I recall.  Not great, certainly not better than the original, but it's worth checking out.  

I haven't seen the 3rd one with Kirsten Dunst; is it worth my time?  And, hey, anyone remember that terrible Crow TV series, where he basically turned into the Hulk?

James O'Barr also did some comic sequels... I read one that was set in a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. No makeup, just an undead Jew killing every Nazi in sight.  

Guest The Magnificent 7

Went to see A Walk Among the Tombstones last night and thought it was excellent.  Treated the material with respect, as it never descended into silliness.  The bad guys were evil, not cartoonishly evil, and the film benefited from that.  Neeson is great in it, but it isn't the Neeson of Taken or The Grey.  The interplay with him and his PI "assistant" is fantastic.  The kid played his role perfectly.  Highly recommended. 

Just flipped over to HBO at about 7:50 ahead of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, and I can tell just by the dopey ending credits that THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY is a piece of shit. There's just no way that movie earned a credit sequence so saccharinely sentimental.

Just flipped over to HBO at about 7:50 ahead of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, and I can tell just by the dopey ending credits that THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY is a piece of shit. There's just no way that movie earned a credit sequence so saccharinely sentimental.

I sat through it on a plane, it really is godawful.

I just watched Rounders last night. I somehow never saw it before.

It's... okay. It's kind of corny but Matt Damon's decent enough in it. Malkovic's accent is so ridiculously awful it works. The law school professor giving a slacking student $10K is a bit of a reach. Rounders also has a huge hand in the awful poker rage at the turn of the century. Thankfully, that has gone by the wayside -- I haven't had my friend call me to tell me of his awful beat in a few years -- so the movie hasn't aged that badly. I liked it better than Backdraft, so it's an above average movie.

Another from the Netflix queue:

Out of the Furnace - Christian Bale is the steel-plant-working older brother of Casey Affleck.  Affleck is an Iraq War veteran struggling to find his way in post-war life.  To make ends meet, he's fighting in bare knuckle underground fights.  Woody Harrelson is a big deal in that scene.  Affleck gets in over his head and Bale, after serving a stint for killing 2 people in a DUI, has to rescue him and get revenge.  This is a movie that's dead-set on being gritty and it works in that regard.  Unfortunately, there's not actually any tension.  Coupled with a ridiculous ending, it just ends up not really working.  5/10.

For those who have seen it:

I had major issues with two things:

1) Bale sets up this ruse at the end to get Harrelson's character in a spot where he could kill him.  Knowing Harrelson's volatile nature, he still decides to trick him and gets his friend killed.  Could have easily been prevented but nope, Bale's a douchebag and his friend gets killed.

2) Bale walking after shooting Harrelson in the back of the head, in front of a cop, is just ridiculous.  I mean, c'mon.

I just watched Backdraft. I came to watching Backdraft because I wanted to see if the supposedly inane Draft Day was on Netflix Instant. It isn't, but Backdraft is.

I am trying to think of a movie more average than Backdraft. It's so completely average. The plot is pretty boring and generic but harmless. The action scenes are all pretty good. Some of the acting is good. Some of it (Looking at you, Billy Baldwin) is terrible. It all evens out into the most average movie possible.

But the fire is so pretty! Sooooooo, preeeetty.

I'll be in my bunk.

Y'know, you could go blind doing that.

I actually haven't seen 'Backdraft' but I thought Bill Watts... comment is particularly a propos as on the 'Big Trouble in Little China' commentary, Kurt Russell mentions that the one scene with him and another actor (I think it was Baldwin, but again not sure) was shot in a big water tank.  But to make it nicer on the actors, they used heated water in the tank since they were going to be in it for so long.  The only problem was the warm water caused the paint to peel and it got into Russell and Baldwin(?)'s eyes and they went blind from it.  They basically had to rest for 2-3 days with their eyes kept shut and were okay after that but there was a genuine concern that the paint chips had cut their eyes and they might be permanently blind.

Another from the Netflix queue:

Out of the Furnace - Christian Bale is the steel-plant-working older brother of Casey Affleck.  Affleck is an Iraq War veteran struggling to find his way in post-war life.  To make ends meet, he's fighting in bare knuckle underground fights.  Woody Harrelson is a big deal in that scene.  Affleck gets in over his head and Bale, after serving a stint for killing 2 people in a DUI, has to rescue him and get revenge.  This is a movie that's dead-set on being gritty and it works in that regard.  Unfortunately, there's not actually any tension.  Coupled with a ridiculous ending, it just ends up not really working.  5/10.

For those who have seen it:

I had major issues with two things:

1) Bale sets up this ruse at the end to get Harrelson's character in a spot where he could kill him.  Knowing Harrelson's volatile nature, he still decides to trick him and gets his friend killed.  Could have easily been prevented but nope, Bale's a douchebag and his friend gets killed.

2) Bale walking after shooting Harrelson in the back of the head, in front of a cop, is just ridiculous.  I mean, c'mon.

I thought it was really good.  I'm very close with my brother, so the plotline just WRECKED me.

As for the spoilers

1) I don't know that he was really "friends" with the guy.  Also, if IIRC the friend was kinda obstructing him from tracking down his brother's killer.  He probably viewed his death as collateral damage.

2) Well, he did shoot him in front of the cop who's already feeling a little guilty about the whole situation because he/the police repeatedly failed to bring Harrelson to justice/he stole Bale's girlfriend.    So it's not out of the realm of possibility to say that he maybe helped Bale fudge the details to make it a more palatable situation for juries.  Also, look at Trayvon Martin, it's not like you can't shoot an unarmed man and get found not guilty in modern day America.  Particularly, in this case, where the guy he shot is less than an upstanding citizen.

Why didn't the Asylum do an "Expendables" rip, using only actors from DTV action films? Michael Dudikoff, Don "the Dragon" Wilson, et al.?

They did, sorta.  It's called "Mercenaries" and is basically The Expendables with a female cast - Zoe Bell, Vivica A Fox, the female Terminator from T3, and Cynthia Rothrock as the team leader (who sadly doesn't actually fight).  Plus Bridgitte Nielsen as the villain.  It's about as bad as you'd expect.

I keep hoping more C-list action guys would show up in The Expendables.  They got Gary Daniels in the first one, so I kept hoping more of those guys would show up in the sequels.

Why didn't the Asylum do an "Expendables" rip, using only actors from DTV action films? Michael Dudikoff, Don "the Dragon" Wilson, et al.?

They did, sorta.  It's called "Mercenaries" and is basically The Expendables with a female cast - Zoe Bell, Vivica A Fox, the female Terminator from T3, and Cynthia Rothrock as the team leader (who sadly doesn't actually fight).  Plus Bridgitte Nielsen as the villain.  It's about as bad as you'd expect.

I keep hoping more C-list action guys would show up in The Expendables.  They got Gary Daniels in the first one, so I kept hoping more of those guys would show up in the sequels.

What he said.  Gary Daniels was in the first movie so I was bummed that B-List action movie badasses like Jeff Speakman, Billy Blanks, Mark Dacascos, or Mattias Hues never showed up in the sequel.

How has Jack Scalia never had a cameo in either of these movies?

Especially Mark Dacascos. Holy shit, Drive is the best micro budget action movie that apparently only I have watched.