DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Speaking of Liam Neeson, so is he basically just going to star in different versions of Taken and sequels to Taken? Not that it's a bad thing. Was just wondering.

The funny thing about Liam Neeson is that Schindler's List got him so much dramatic cred that people forget that he first made a name for himself in cheesy action flicks like Darkman and Next Of Kin, he still does plenty of cheesy stuff like A-Team or that recent Seth McFarlane abortion, and for the bulk of his career as a name guy he's been a big-budget franchise guy (Star Wars trilogies, Nolan Batman, Chronicles Of Narnia, Clash/Wrath Of The Titans, etc.). For all intents and purposes he's an action star who does the occasional Michael Collins or Kinsey to remind people he can act.

In the 90s, I used to say Darkman was the best Batman movie.

Also, I urge everyone to check out the Saved by the Bell TV movie:

*dude playing Dustin walks into TV executive's office and sees him on the phone talking to someone*

"This Jerry Seinfeld...he's funny, but I don't know, the pilot just seems too...Jewish...to work, you know?" 

Fuck Kevin Bacon; it's all about Six Degrees of Liam Neeson.

Incidentally, am I the only one that has a friend who, no matter how many times I politely try to suggest otherwise, refers to him as "Liam Nelson?" At first I thought they were fucking with me ... now, I'm positive that is not the case.

Watching that would really piss me off, she deserves better. Sad story with her. Fuck, her in Black Swan instead of Nathalie Portman if she hadn't died would've been incredible. 

Funny we're talking Neeson because I caught the end of Next of Kin last night, just because I'd never seen the whole thing. Neeson as a Kentucky hillbilly was pretty... weird. So was him in Darkman but that movie is AWESOME. Loved it ever since my dad took me to see it as a kid. 

I also caught The Secret of Nimh the other day, another one I'd never finished, and man, that movie is pretty damn dark. Usually I'm not one for Disney/Disney-esque stuff but I had the picture book of the movie when I was a kid. The '80s, back when you could get away with a story like that in a cartoon...

Watching that would really piss me off, she deserves better. Sad story with her. Fuck, her in Black Swan instead of Nathalie Portman if she hadn't died would've been incredible. 

Funny we're talking Neeson because I caught the end of Next of Kin last night, just because I'd never seen the whole thing. Neeson as a Kentucky hillbilly was pretty... weird. So was him in Darkman but that movie is AWESOME. Loved it ever since my dad took me to see it as a kid. 

I also caught The Secret of Nimh the other day, another one I'd never finished, and man, that movie is pretty damn dark. Usually I'm not one for Disney/Disney-esque stuff but I had the picture book of the movie when I was a kid. The '80s, back when you could get away with a story like that in a cartoon...

The only Don Bluth movie that looked like a Disney movie; Fox and the Hound(if it isn't the saddest Disney movie its on the medal stand) the same year,  and the Disney did the Black Caldruon a few years later. . . .

Funny we're talking Neeson because I caught the end of Next of Kin last night, just because I'd never seen the whole thing. Neeson as a Kentucky hillbilly was pretty... weird.

Neeson, Swayze, and Paxton were brothers but somehow had three different accents. Amazing.

Eh, I liked Murphy, but I couldn't have seen her being some big dramatic actress, like Portman. Comedy was more her strength.

If the channel had a sense of humor, the biopic would include a scene where Murphy actually films that Lifetime movie that she did a year or so before before she died and laments how bad her career has gotten because she's doing crap like this.

The only Don Bluth movie that looked like a Disney movie; Fox and the Hound(if it isn't the saddest Disney movie its on the medal stand) the same year,  and the Disney did the Black Caldruon a few years later. . . .

It's funny, because Fox and the Hound and The Black Cauldron are what drove Don Bluth to leave Disney.

Had to look up Bluth based on that and found out he also made An American Tale and The Land Before Time which I didn't know (and enjoyed as a child). Not only that, but Dragon's Lair! I can see why he left based on something like The Black Cauldron which was a near disaster and certainly different than the norm there. Which surprisingly, The Secret of Nimh was as well.

Watching Under Siege on TV again. Man is Tommy Lee Jones great chewing the scenery here, plus you get Gary Busey corpsing and yelling a lot. 

Yeah, Bluth had a several year run as the first real challenger Disney had ever had.  Especially when Spielberg was backing him.  But between walking away from Spielberg after Land Before Time (to do All Dogs Go to Heaven) and Disney suddenly snapping back with The Little Mermaid, that era ended virtually instantly.

It's funny Bluth hasn't really caught on anywhere now that lots of studios make animated films, and Disney doesn't have that same stranglehold on the entire industry.

Nephew has been after us for awhile to watch so this weekend the three of us watched:

Lords of Dogtown - The movie companion to the Dogtown and Z-Boys documentary on the same subject, namely the rebirth of skateboarding in the 1970s at a surf shop.  The Z Boys were a group of surfers who, using the new urethane wheels, brought surfing-like tactics to skateboarding and birthed a phenomenon.  There's a great story to be told here but the movie itself is something of a mess.  Besides messing with chronology, merging multiple characters into a new one who didn't exist (the "Sid" character) and was less important than portrayed by the movie, deleting other people entirely, and ignoring Jay Adams killing a guy, the movie definitely is more concerned with its style than its structure or story.  And it captures that style well - a gritty 1970s style with warm colors and a very distinctive look.  It's hurt by seemingly random scene cuts and an edit that makes the movie feel like it's just not "smooth" for lack of a better word.  Anyway, this was pretty good but could have been a lot better.  6/10.

It's funny Bluth hasn't really caught on anywhere now that lots of studios make animated films, and Disney doesn't have that same stranglehold on the entire industry.

Probably too many out-and-out 90s failures for people to feel he's worth taking a chance on (Rock-A-Doodle: $11m; A Troll in Central Park $71k (WAIT, that can't be right?! Can it?!); Thumbelina $11m; The Pebble and the Penguin $3.9m; Titan A.E. $22m on a $75m budget).

Epix has got Apocalypse Now on rotation. I forgot how fucking good that movie was.

Netflix has the original (I think) and the Redux versions, both.  Which one do I want to watch, having never seen the movie.

• Like 1