DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Watched JFK for the first time and looooooved it.  I mean, I don't know where I stand on all the theories and the like, and I'm not that particularly interested because we'll never know the truth, really.  But, man is this a master class in awesome actors turning up, owning their scene, then giving way to another: Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, Walter Matthau, Michael Rooker, John Candy, Newman from Seinfeld, Jackie from Roseanne, Joe Pesci, Ed Asner, Sissy Spacek, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Brian Doyle Murray.  Terrific fun.

There's a LOT of fact in JFK.  A lot more than the national media and some critics of it at the time cared to admit.  Stone obviously played fast and loose with some things (melding multiple people into one, creating the "X" character, etc) but that was mostly done to help explain things to an audience that might not be intimately familiar with JFK assassination research.  I am normally one to complain about "based on a true story" movies that change facts but I think it mostly works in JFK.

I do concur with the opinion that it's just an incredibly well-made movie.  Superb acting, great direction, good pacing (especially for a 3-hour movie), and terrific editing.  It deserves all the plaudits it has received.

Contrast that with Ruby which came out not too long after and was seen by maybe 5 people total - me, my roommate, and 3 idiots who wandered into the wrong theater.  That movie was terrible.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

• Like 4

I think the real tragedy is that Peter Jackson never tried to make Atlas Shrugged. John Galt famously has a speech that is 60 pages long, can you imagine the field day Jackson would have had with that? That would have had its own movie probably.

I just watched Backdraft. I came to watching Backdraft because I wanted to see if the supposedly inane Draft Day was on Netflix Instant. It isn't, but Backdraft is.

I am trying to think of a movie more average than Backdraft. It's so completely average. The plot is pretty boring and generic but harmless. The action scenes are all pretty good. Some of the acting is good. Some of it (Looking at you, Billy Baldwin) is terrible. It all evens out into the most average movie possible.

The issue of Rue Morgue that's on stands now(it might be old, but it's at my Barnes and Noble as of today) has a little retrospective on The Crow, which came out 20 years ago. It has a kind of roundtable interview with the cast and creators of the film. Rochelle Davis who played the little girl Sarah apparently took it very hard, she said it took about 15 years to really come to terms of it. She said the kids at school were very cruel and she tried to hide who she was. Apparently Brandon Lee was very good to her and took her under his wing on set. They also mentioned that it was very much Brandon's movie, and that he had a very specific vision as to what the film was going to be like. For example he decided that the only supernatural element would be him. 

There's also a funny story about him coming up to Bai Ling and saying "Oh hey I heard you're chinese, me too!" and she didn't believe him because he's so white. He said his father was a famous Chinese actor. and she asked who and he of course was like "Bruce...Bruce Lee." And she didn't know who the fuck he was. It turns out she only knew Bruce as Li Xialong. Wacky.

The Crow was one of those movies that I probably watched everyday for about a year straight. I remember buying the soundtrack, I was 10 or 11 I guess, and it was one of the first tapes I ever bought on my own. There were these two grungy dudes behind me peeking over my shoulder to see what the young blood was buying. I remember them being like "Oh shiiiit The Crow Soundtrack - good call man." And it was maybe the first time in my life I'd had my music taste validated by anyone. 

Anyway, it's a legit beautiful film, and I think it's a perfect example of showing beauty in darkness. I'm sure it spawned an entire Hot Topic Suicide Girl culture, but everything and everyone in the movie has a beauty to them even at their worst. I remember after one viewing how much the role of Darla, Sarah's mother stood out to me. The moment where Eric Draven speaks to her and tells her to be a fucking mom seems so deeply personal - and I think part of it was this strange connection where he took a stereotypical shitty mom character and said - No there's a beautiful woman in this body, and she's a mother and goddess and she needs start acting like it. Looking back it's kind of the soul of the film - that moment. The rest of it is a basic redemptive violence tale with a supernatural slant, but that one moment is kind of the real difference in the film that gives it emotional heft.

So yeah - great film.

I love The Crow.  It was a formative movie for me as a kid (and as a comic fan, as the original comic was the the second indie comic I ever got, after TMNT, and the first "mature readers" type book I ever owned.)

I've always been a fence-sitter on The Crow -- something about it just never completely clicked with me (sorry Jae) -- but since we're talking about memories of it in horror mags, I still have the issue of Fangoria where David Schow wrote his article about Brandon, who he was really close to. Hard, hard, hard to read. The movie itself was something I should have saw when it came out but for some reason I never watched it until years later even though I really wanted to rent it and my mom got whiff of its violence which immediately made it notorious to me. I even saw the sequel in the theater. For some reason, after all those years watching it on cable later, it didn't have the same resonance it would have had at that time.

The Crow is probably at the top of my "movies that age terribly" list.  It seemed badass when I was a misanthropic high school kid, but watching it as an adult you see how corny it is.  I've never gotten around to watching any of the sequels past the second, and something tells me I'm better off for it.

The Crow is probably at the top of my "movies that age terribly" list.  It seemed badass when I was a misanthropic high school kid, but watching it as an adult you see how corny it is.  I've never gotten around to watching any of the sequels past the second, and something tells me I'm better off for it.

Yeah, it still looks amazing but comparing it to other comic book movies of recent times and it doesn't come off too great: One dimensional characters, mediocre story, cheesy one liners,etc. I think people want that movie to be great because of what happened to Lee...but I don't quite think it hits the mark.