DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

RAZE

Went into this knowing nothing other than Zoe Bell is a badass.  She is.  A group of women with martial arts skill is kidnapped and forced to fight bare knuckle to the death.  There seems to be little rhyme or reason to why or when they're fighting, but if they lose, their families get killed, and if they refuse to fight, their families get killed.  So, they fight.  So, kinda not unlike this season of the The Ultimate Fighter.  Every fight is telegraphed by title cards, and there is a pro wrestling type build to the Sabrina (Bell) vs. Phoebe (the 'evil' prisoner who enjoys killing) that lives up to the hype.  It's exploitive, but not an exploitation film per se, as there's no nudity, no shower scenes, no lesbians.  Of course, shit hits the fan eventually, and it's appropriately awesome, but it has an ending that's not earned at all and a little disappointing.  Doug Jones and Sherilyn Fenn as the couple running the show are weird and feel like they're in a different movie, but it works, at times.  Zoe Bell just looks like a bad ass.  She's not there to look good.  She's there to cave your face in.  Her face is distinctive -- She's not ugly, but she's not pretty.  She looks like a woman that could kick every dude bro's ass if she wanted to.  And she can.

Plus, there's poo-flicking, and they acknowledge the superiority of BJJ.  What else do you need?!

EVIL DEAD

As a straight up gore movie, it's pretty great.  As any other kind of horror movie, it fails.  It's not really scary, not campy, not bad ass, or anything.  The acting is pretty uniformly terrible, there's hardly any plot or explanation, people make moronic decisions, and you're just waiting to see everyone die horribly.  I don't know if I ever understood the rules of how all of this was supposed to work, which is kinda sad considering there was a book with illustrations they kept showing, but whatevs.  it's played just a little too straight, which is odd considering the source material.

What's so great about The Game?  I've always thought it was Fincher's worst movie.  It's so literal-minded: it tells you exactly what's going to happen, and then it happens.  It's all a game.  Wow, what a surprise, you only explicitly told us it was all a game.  And there's no way they could've faked ALL of that stuff that happened, there were way too many contrivances and my bullshit alarm never stopped ringing.  

I wasn't sure if I was able to finish Raze after the cold open because it was so fucking brutal. I mean, uncomfortably so. But once you get into it it's really solid. Zoe does have peculiar (yet still attractive) looks but she deserves to be more than just a stuntwoman, she's a hell of an actress and could be this generation's Cynthia Rothrock at worst.

Still like Evil Dead upon rewatch though, yeah, there's no need to even attempt doing anything but turning your mind off and wallowing in the gore.

Since it was runner up in my personal nomination for Halloween Havoc, thought id take a minute to recommend Kung Fu Zombie. Its not quite "horror" enough for the October tradition, but it has some horror elements. And action. And comedy, both intentional and unintentional. And some hilarious editing choices. And sound effect choices. Nothing I will type here will do this movie justice, its best to just watch for yourself. Its like a Troma Kung Fu movie, and that's not even doing it justice. Check it out, its reasonably cheap on Amazon.

So Amanda Bynes is back in trouble again. Which is a shame because she did have a quiet few months. I'm still holding out hope she's going to reveal this all as an elaborate performance art piece for a documentary with Casey Affleck.

Knives of the Avenger:  

Surreptitiously continuing my Mario Bava marathon.  Cameron Mitchell is like if Kirk Douglas was born a man.  Got a shit ton of Founders All Day IPA to fuel
the torpor and passivity a growing boy needs.  This is a first twenty minute check in.  I'm paused 'cause I need to pee.

Post-movie:  Fight scenes were fucking incredible.  I don't care if it's a stuntman.  Shit has enough slop and enough space to seem constantly amazing.

• Like 1

A Good Marriage: I really liked the Stephen King novella this was based on, but the movie feels pretty flat and has almost Lifetime channel production values. Very 'B' movie, and probably the best thing about is is Joan Allen.

King actually wrote the screenplay too, but I don't think he did that great a job. Only time you really feel his voice is at the end in the conversation between the wife and the cop, the rest of the time the dialogue feels very generic.

Kinda disappointing because it clearly had potential.

Gone Girl was 3 hours of my life I wish I had back. It's really more of a black comedy, the acting was decent and lots of plot holes even pointed out in the movie itself, but just really unsatisfactory all around.

Nurse 3D

Best Worst Movie with the absolutely best worst lead actress ever.  Paz de la Huerta is so bad at acting but so good at being a force of nature by just standing there.  She has "it" and absolutely nothing else.  It's fascinating and weird -- if we later find out that she's some kind of space alien posing as a human, I would not be shocked at all.  Loved the movie-- and not in an ironic, laughing at it way.  Not that it's anything good either -- it's the kind of movie that makes sense when you watch it between 2 and 4 in the morning.

• Like 1

If you're not Dana Carvey, you should not be showing WAYNE'S WORLD to two girls in their early 20s to impress them.

too true, too true. they picked it tho. had always heard of it but never saw it.

when you have to bust out YouTube to explain the "grey poupon" commercial you know they're just not going to fully get the film.

was just watching Wayne's World with a couple girls in their early 20s. they don't laugh at any of the right funny parts. it saddens my heart.

what the... Wayne's World had funny parts? I must be thinking of a different movie.

Nurse 3D

Best Worst Movie with the absolutely best worst lead actress ever.  Paz de la Huerta is so bad at acting but so good at being a force of nature by just standing there.  She has "it" and absolutely nothing else.  It's fascinating and weird -- if we later find out that she's some kind of space alien posing as a human, I would not be shocked at all.  Loved the movie-- and not in an ironic, laughing at it way.  Not that it's anything good either -- it's the kind of movie that makes sense when you watch it between 2 and 4 in the morning.

Ha, I remember watching Enter The Void with a friend, and then a few months later she told me that Paz was on Boardwalk Empire.  I was like "That's really surprising, I wouldn't have thought her acting career would go anywhere.  Does she play a role that isn't a prostitute?  Because that would be even more surprising."

Best Worst Movie with the absolutely best worst lead actress ever.  Paz de la Huerta is so bad at acting but so good at being a force of nature by just standing there.  She has "it" and absolutely nothing else.  

She was perfectly fine in Choke and really good on Boardwalk Empire.  Maybe it's just this one movie that sucked all the talent out of her?

She is legit crazy though, Read the New Yorker profile they did on her a few years ago. She does have an appealing, trainwreck charisma but it's hard to capitalize on it when 1) she's not that great an actress 2) is, as noted, batshit.

Appealing trainwreck charisma is about the best way to describe it.  And Nurse 3D really did capitalize on it very well.  It is a very fascinating watch, but it's not the type of movie that exactly aspires to greatness.  As exploitive schlock, it's exceptional.  Her acting is abysmal, but her presence is spellbinding.  Someone should cast her as a silent killer in a French Extreme horror movie. 

I remember something about Michael Pitt supposedly saying she was too crazy to deal with.

Michael Pitt.

When I was binge watching Boardwalk Empire prior to last season, I was mystified at how good she was as Lucy. Then, it turned out she was actually Lucy Danziger.