DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Watched

Animal House: Didn't really enjoy it.  I mean the awful snobby frat wasn't especially that much worse than the lovable frat.  I mean, those guys in Delta Tau Chi were just a different calibre of dirtbags: the guy who seduces all the women, the guy who doesn't recognize his own hot girlfriend because he's too busy partying, the horny fat guy, the gross fat guy.  There were some funny parts (Most of Belushi's stuff, "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son!", and Donald Sutherland's ass) but I didn't really ever connect with the film in any other way.  Also the scene in the "black" bar seemed really racist, even for 1978, and did that one guy rape that 13-year-old? Or were they going to get married so they could have sex? I was unclear on that, but it bothered me.

Frenzy: Hitchcock's second last film is actually quite a bit better than his last one ('Family Plot' even though that had Bruce Dern!) but it's also probably the horniest Hitchcock with lots of shots of breasts and legs and naked bodies.  It's quite fascinating in that it repeatedly ditches characters for long periods of time and has no problem knocking off important characters.  We're introduced to what is, ostensibly, the main character Richard (who is a startlingly unlikeable person) who meets up with his ex-wife early on, then goes off cam for quite a while and follows another character's interaction with her, then back to Richard, then onto the inspector investigating the murders Richard may have committed, on to Richard's girlfriend, back to the inspector, to Richard, to the inspector again so you have constantly changing viewpoints.  There's also one scene which is one of my favourite Hitchcock scenes ever where he backs slowly away from the scene with no dialogue, just leaving it up to you to figure out what went wrong.  It's staggering and the most powerful Hitchcock sequence I've seen outside of 'Psycho'.  It's not my favourite but a definite step up from his other last films: 'Marnie' (which isn't very good), 'Torn Curtain' (which I can't get more than 20 minutes into without turning it off) and the aforementioned 'Family Plot'.
(in German for some reason, but the dialogue's not important, spoiled because the title gives something important away)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKBV5QPzP8

I actually used Audiogalaxy a couple of times on a 56k machine (45 minutes for a 3 MB song FTW!)

I never knew Slater/Mahal/McIntyre ever recorded any real material ... ha cha-cha-cha!

• Like 2

Watched Snowpiercer the other night and wrote a brief essay on its concept of revolution and class systems for Sound on Sight, but it's full of spoilery stuff so if you haven't watched it GO WATCH IT, and then check it out: http://www.soundonsight.org/snowpiercer-2/

Certainly a more interesting film you'll see this summer, that doesn't actually take any easy ways out.

• Like 1

I watch a lot of really good stuff too. A lot of times I'm just intrigued by the plot summary or whatever so i throw it in the queue. I mean, my last two Netflix items before the latest like of crap were a 7 and a 9...

Yeah, that scene in Frenzy enthralled me too. I love tracking shots though so I'm easy to please in that regard. There is a slight cut in there, though.

All i remember from frenzy from my hitchcock class as an undergrad is the reverse shot and the (gratuitous) nudity.

I do agree it's probably the best of the late period stuff.

I was thinking about the comic book adaptation talk from a few pages ago and it seems like one of the things people assume is that it's a relatively new thing to make films out of comic books.  While that may be somewhat true for the superhero comics but there are so many adaptations of all kinds of comics that it'll be almost impossible to do a tournament of.  I could see there being a poll and people submitting their Top 100 as there's hundreds, if not thousands of films based off comics (especially if you count manga).

Besides the superhero comics, there's Road to Perdition, Heavy Metal, Riki Oh: The Story of Ricky, Lone Wolf and Cub series, Weird Science, Creepshow, Baba Yaga, Danger: Diabolik, Cemetery Man, Persepolis

I also really, really love Batman: The Dark Knight Returns that was released last year.  Besides Tim Burton's Batman, I really prefer the animated adaptations of the comic along with Mask of the Phantasm and Year One.

All Star Superman was a great film as well.  Not a big fan of Superman but I really loved the arc the story was based on.

• Like 1

I don't know that "Weird Science" counts as a comic adaptation.  It's kind of like "The Lawnmower Man" - same title and an extremely vague plot resemblance.

Top comic films by decade? (the early years would be rough, though the Captain & the Kids shorts are interesting)

Do comic strips count?  Because there have been several Dennis the Menace and Garfield movies.

Do we restrict it to live action?  Or maybe just theatrically released (which drops the vast majority of the animated films, but doesn't cost me something from my top 10)?

Do comic strips count?  Because there have been several Dennis the Menace and Garfield movies.

Do we restrict it to live action?  Or maybe just theatrically released (which drops the vast majority of the animated films, but doesn't cost me something from my top 10)?

Yes. (Popeye)

Yes.

No, because i want the Corman FF to be eligible. ;)

After talking to Phil, I'm gonna try and brainstorm (via box office mojo) to see if how many pictures you can get in each bracket the way i laid them out a few days/weeks ago: DC, Marvel, non-big two superhero and non-superhero.

Animal House: Didn't really enjoy it.  I mean the awful snobby frat wasn't especially that much worse than the lovable frat.  I mean, those guys in Delta Tau Chi were just a different calibre of dirtbags: the guy who seduces all the women, the guy who doesn't recognize his own hot girlfriend because he's too busy partying, the horny fat guy, the gross fat guy.  There were some funny parts (Most of Belushi's stuff, "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son!", and Donald Sutherland's ass) but I didn't really ever connect with the film in any other way.  Also the scene in the "black" bar seemed really racist, even for 1978, and did that one guy rape that 13-year-old? Or were they going to get married so they could have sex? I was unclear on that, but it bothered me.

Yeah, sex comedies are one thing that do NOT age well. Heck, just look at the general differences of tone between American Pie and American Reunion to see how quickly our moral standards tend to change over time. What seemed like harmless fun 20 years ago, often tends to look like outright rape and sexual predation today.

Since I'm watching Tony Bourdain in Hong Kong, I realized that I've still never seen The Untold Story. Come recommended by anyone? How about the sequels? I might be down to take a dip back into foreign splatter territory as long as it's not some straight-up All Night Long shit.

First one is still very good, sequels are related in name only. 2nd is solid, haven't seen the 3rd - heard it's pretty awful.

Two movies off my Summer Viewing list

The Lego Movie: Tons of fun!  It's basically as close as I've gotten to a 'Clone High' movie with all the references, cool voice actors and irreverent humor.  I enjoyed it a ton.  I'll be interested to see if it's still as popular come years' end to make it near the top of the DVDVR Best of 2014 list.

Guardians of the Galaxy*: Which was equally fun!  I don't think I'd hesitate too much in calling this the best Marvel Comics movie I've seen (The only other real contenders are 'Iron Man' the first one which was enjoyable until the last 20-30 minutes or so or 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' which I actually had a blast watching despite being somewhat meh on the first one) mainly because I greatly enjoyed the tone of it: alternating moments of seriousness/drama with a mostly light-hearted tone the rest of the way.  Chris Pratt was excellent, Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper did great jobs in voice-only roles and I greatly enjoyed Batista, too.  I thought the set-pieces were neat, the action was entertaining and the soundtrack was sooooo good (Truthfully, they had me when the first sound you hear is 'I'm Not in Love' by 10cc!).

*Added to my Summer Viewing list when I decided that 'Wolf of Wall Street' was too damn long to commit myself to this summer!

Saw Coherence on the weekend, spoiler-free (all I knew was "a bunch of people are at a dinner party, a comet goes by, and weird stuff starts happening"), in a theatre in a city I'd never been in before, with a start time of 10 pm Pacific when I was still kind of running on Eastern time, and a little buzzed.  That was just about the perfect way to watch it.

If you like Primer, or sci-fi in general, or xkcd, you pretty much need to see that movie.  I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about it.

• Like 1

Another Netflix documentary:

The Baseball Chronicles - Some kind of mid-late 90s documentary talking about baseball in the 40s and 50s.  Hoooo boy, this one is terrible.  It's divided up into innings with a topic for each.  And then they have various ballplayers talk about that topic.  And sometimes they actually stick to the topic and it's related to it.  And a lot of times it's not.  The whole thing is just a mess with no real structure, no insights, no nothing.  I'm a sucker for baseball documentaries but even I thought this sucked.  Good grief.  There's not even much in the way of interesting footage.  2/10.

Jewish friends rule.  I had no idea that the song playing during the scene in The Kentucky Fried Movie as Big Jim Slade takes that dude's woman away is Hevenu Shalom Aleichem; an Israeli folk tune.

Why does it sound like the fight song for some midwestern college football team?

me neither. that is indeed awesome. i also always assumed it was his college football team's fight song.

Guardians of the Galaxy:  the soundtrack was sooooo good (Truthfully, they had me when the first sound you hear is 'I'm Not in Love' by 10cc!).

yep. i thought the movie was excellent, but by far my favorite part has been the soundtrack. after i left the movie, i immediately added all of the songs from it onto a playlist and have been listening to it tons lately. 10cc remains one of my favorite underappreciated bands.

Saw Moneyball for the first time and liked it. I know fuck all squared about baseball but it was interesting all the same. There's some of the usual Hollywood sports underdog tropes where the little guy keeps on winning but then you remember that, shit, those dudes really did win 20 in a row in actual real life and that's great.

But then Philip Seymour Hoffman showed up in it and it kinda depressed me a little.

Saw Sin City: A Dame To Kill For earlier today. I thought it was pretty good. Some of it was ehh and I'm really not a fan of everything being green screened, but that all seemed to work for it. I also saw it in 3d and for once the 3D seemed to actually work (probably cause I was high up in the theater). Eva Green is so good at playing someone bad. Also Eva Green in 3D.

Her character causes Christopher Meloni (who was essentially playing an extremely straight laced version of Eliot Stabler) to go insane. I found that all kinds of amusing. I'm watching it and thinking had he stayed on SVU this is what would have eventually happened.

Overall I enjoyed it. Plus I had those AMC Silver Tickets things so the extra charge for the 3D (which the AMC website didn't say the showing was in) didn't sting too much. I still hate 3d though. It's a shame Sin City got put out now. I think it would do a lot better in a late fall/early winter showing.