DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

We proceed to her astrologer. She is a svelte six-foot-tall woman who operates out of a musty room at the corner of Bowery and Delancey. “You were definitely Marilyn Monroe in a past life,” she tells Paz. “You have a Venus in Libra. I wish I had a Venus in Libra. The best thing is to have a Venus in Libra. Second best is Venus in Taurus.

“What does that mean, again?” Paz asks.

Give this woman a reality show.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I read in the paper today that Billy Idol has an autobiography coming out, and James Cameron really wanted him as the T-1000 in Terminator 2, but he hurt his leg in a motorcycle accident and couldn't do the running scenes.  So Cameron went with Robert Patrick.

Idol would have been interesting.

I read in the paper today that Billy Idol has an autobiography coming out, and James Cameron really wanted him as the T-1000 in Terminator 2, but he hurt his leg in a motorcycle accident and couldn't do the running scenes.  So Cameron went with Robert Patrick.

Idol would have been interesting.

Between that and the OJ Simpson anecdote (he auditioned for the role of the terminator in the first movie, came close but was ultimately turned down because they didn't think he'd be convincing as a stone cold murderer) the Terminator franchise has the greatest 'What if' possibilities ever.

Both of those ideas are interesting as hell, but I'm not sure either would have actually been better than Patrick's creepy emotion free performance.

I honestly can't imagine anybody else playing that role.  He was awesome.

Man, I can't wait to be in the theater when people react to "the twist." Turning over to page 200 or so in the book and seeing that floored me.

Saw it yesterday. My jaw literally dropped to the floor when the twist happened. Sure it was something I'd considered, but it happening out of the blue like that had my face looking like something from an internet meme, hahahahaha.

Enjoyed the hell out of it. May go see it again next week.

I'm assuming there's no thread for next year's Oscars yet.  They released the long list of all countries that have submitted movies for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar - 83 of them, which is a new record, surpassing last year's total of 76.

http://www.oscars.org/news/83-countries-competition-2014-foreign-language-film-oscarr

I've seen 3 of those: Finland's Concrete Night, Russia's Leviathan and South Korea's Haemoo.  Thought Concrete Night was a waste of time, Leviathan was good (some people are super high on it though) and Haemoo was great (but not sure if it's something the Academy would be into).

From what I've heard about some of the others, Belgium and Turkey should be strong contenders.  Possibly Iceland and Sweden too.

Gone Girl: I quite liked this. It works very well as a satire, with the Nancy Grace spoof (Ellen Abbott) being the highlight. Tyler Perry and Ben Affleck give pretty much the best acting performances they probably ever will.

My only complaint is that Fincher might be talking the whole thing a bit too seriously. It's essentially a black comedy, and some of the plot points are so preposterous it even gets brought up by the other characters, but it's like he keeps wanting it to be a serious thriller and a proper look at sexual politics and a dysfunctional marriage. Is it possible for a director to do a great job on a film, which Fincher does here, but maybe miss the point? The movie is good but it does seem to be a bit all over the place tonally.

Also:

Pike's character just got too cartoonishly psycho by the end of it.

Anyone watch The Counselor? The movie is ridiculous -- SERIOUSLY ridiculous -- but for the fact that it's that loopy it's that much more enjoyable. Helps to be drinking; somehow the Cormac McCarthy (!) dialogue goes down better that way.

Another of the Netflix movies I turned off about 30-45 minutes in. Just awful. . . .

Anybody seen Cold in July with Michael C. Hall?

Hall's character is the victim of a home invasion and kills the intruder. This leads to the perpitrator's ex-con father stalking Hall's family. This is the first act of the movie; after that, the story shifts into one about mistaken identity and police conspiracy. The action was really tense thanks to an awesome score.

^you're probably thinking of Lakeview Terrace, where Jackson was the psycho cop neighbor screwing with a young couple...which was kind of a racially-charged update of Unlawful Entry...which was kind of like Pacific Heights but with a cop instead of a grifter...