DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Has anyone watched the Last American Virgin in the past couple of years?  Did it age well?  My co-worker and I were discussing how bad we should've felt for Gary.  I'm of the attitude that Gary should've threw boiling water on Karen and Rick(maybe I'm projecting my own teen angst)0.  My co-worker said she would've blew up Karen's spot for having the abortion...BUT, she thinks Gary is kind of creepy.

Thoughts?

The Horseman.  What if movies weren't for pussies?  Then again I went through the whole thing thinking they were British not Australian.  Explains why they kept saying dollars.  Main thing is that if they made this in America, everyone would wonder where all the guns were.  Like, even the drug guy had to steal his single crappy pistol off the cop.  Lack of squibs means that everybody has BBQ goatees and tasteful stabwounds.  Main guy looks like a combination of Lloyd Kaufman and Liev Schreiber.  Getting drunk and watching movies on this amazon streaming shit.  Stay tuned.

I actually really liked The Lone Ranger.  It was exactly what I was expecting/hoping for it to be which is basically 'Pirates of the Carribean' in the old west.  Johnny Depp is silly, Armie Hammer is dopey, while the supporting cast chews up the scenery like crazy: Tom Wilkinson, Helena Bonham Carter, the always underrated Barry Pepper and the even more underrated William Fichtner.  And, even through all the silliness, when the 'William Tell Overture' hits in the last stretch, I got chills up my spine.  Yeah, I really didn't have any problems with this at all.

Has anyone watched the Last American Virgin in the past couple of years?  Did it age well?  My co-worker and I were discussing how bad we should've felt for Gary.  I'm of the attitude that Gary should've threw boiling water on Karen and Rick(maybe I'm projecting my own teen angst)0.  My co-worker said she would've blew up Karen's spot for having the abortion...BUT, she thinks Gary is kind of creepy.

Thoughts?

Gary was a total creep stalker. That REO Speed Wagon song they played like 20 times said it best.

You should've seen by the look in my eyes, baby

There was somethin missin

• Like 1

I really enjoyed You're Next. Sure, there was next to no setup, and virtually zero characterization, but it was surprising and fun with a good sense of humor. The twist came at the right time, and the ending fit.

When the killer emerged all awesome from the window like a badass in slo-mo got beat down and killed whimpering like a baby in like 5 seconds was probably one of the coolest "first kills" a heroine in a horror movie has ever had.

• Like 1

So do I use this thread to talk about how awesome Need for Speed was? Because it was totally amazingly awesome and I loved every minute of it!

I go so far to say that it's easily better than the first 4 FnF movies and right in the mix with the other 2.

On a scale where CANNONBALL RUN 2 is the least serious and DRIVE is the most, where does NEED FOR SPEED fall?

Bought You're Next as a surprise present for my Mum and Sister. Both really liked it. Haven't got round to watching it yet.

It has, hands down, one of the best horror heroines of all time.

Like, it actually gets to the point you're more afraid for the killers than for her.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed You're Next. Sure, there was next to no setup, and virtually zero characterization, but it was surprising and fun with a good sense of humor. The twist came at the right time, and the ending fit.

When the killer emerged all awesome from the window like a badass in slo-mo got beat down and killed whimpering like a baby in like 5 seconds was probably one of the coolest "first kills" a heroine in a horror movie has ever had.

You're Next fucking ruled.   Best use of the Survivor Girl concept ever..  The plot got phoned in around midway through the movie, though.

Need for Speed is much more serious than the tongue-in-cheek Fast and Furious.

It's not Drive by any stretch but it's definately more focussed on the drama than action. That said; the races are great set pieces. Most of the way through there is no music in the races. It's just the noise of the engines which is only broken up by people giving exposition or cracking jokes. It feels alot more real than any of the FnF races even when it does go over the top.

It's full of the old cliche stuff (the upper class girl who thinks the hero is a hot headed moron but learns he is truly gifted, the main rival being the home town kid who made it because of his family's money instead of skill etc) but they work most of it in so that it actually feels pretty organic. They do throw in some over the top stuff as far as how much damage a car can take - One car explodes as soon as it's on it's roof, another car launches off a ramp across a four lane freeway and drives off without a scratch - but and it's not until you sit and think it all over that you can nit pick these things.

I'll also say that I really hope Aaron Paul doesn't try to become and action hero. The bulk of this movie is carried by his characters failings and Paul manages to carry this film almost entirely on his own. He is a fantastic dramatic actor and has a unique ability to go from looking totally worthless, to totally badass in the same scene while making it feel real and natural. I think that comes from all his TV work and being able to really develop a character before he steps in front of the camera.

The supporting cast is pretty average though. They don't really get fleshed out aside from the love interest and learning that one of Toby's friends is ex USAF.

Michael Keaton actually does a great job as Monarch - the reclusive millionare that arranges all these high end races via his website and live podcasting. He comes across like someone who has more money than he knows what to do with so he just spends it all on what he loves - High end, cross country performance races.

Afterwards I did find myself thinking of ways to work Toby (Aaron Paul) and his crew into the FnF universe to help pad that series but I think that NFS has enough there to get at least one more stand alone movie. There's no loose ends or obvious set ups for a sequel so it would have to be another origial story.

Don't go in thinking it's a FnF knock off though because I really do think this movie is just a level above. It takes it's self a little more seriously through 90% of the film but Paul holds it all together. I really think he could be something special as long as he is selective about the roles he takes. No super hero stuff. No gritty action stuff like Jason Bourne. Just straight drama. Like a white Denzel Washington or something.

8.5/10

This is the exact opposite reaction I had to this movie.  I thought it was probably the most predictible movie I've ever seen, and it took itself way too seriously.  I think all the car stuff was great, but it could have been written by just about anyone who could use a pencil.  My review would basically be, if you like cars go see this, but if you like movies stay home. 

• Like 1