DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Wait...NOAH isn't about the Japanese wrestling group??

So much for me going to see it.

I ... kinda wondered the same thing. :/

(And had the same reaction ... the all-caps throws you off.)

• Like 1

Yeah but didn't Der Furher take liberties with Passion as well?

Or is this just about how

it's apparently Noah just hearing voices, and not actually Yahweh "talking" to him?

yeah I'm thinking it related to the spoiler. . . 

What's the backlash all about? I thought the Moral Majority would be head over heels in love with it a la Passion of the Christ.

Have you seen many Darren Aronofsky films?

I personally feel that he was very respectful to the weight of the story, but if you have any familiarity with the director you would know he is going to tell his story and only his story.

I fucking loved it the more I think about it. Aronofsky really goes for broke. I'm surprised the reviews are as positive as they are considering his other go for broke movie, The Fountain, is sitting at 50% on RT.

I don't believe so.

Hmmm. Figured you for an Aronofsky guy.

Anyways. I recommend The Wrestler considering our shared interest in the source material. I'd truly recommend Noah as well. Aronofsky himself called it "the least biblical biblical movie ever made." I won't begin to guess his personal beliefs, but the fox news folks are convinced he is an atheist now. LOL

Yeah I've heard nothing but positive feels for his work, just one of those guys I haven't gotten around to yet.

This just came up on my newsfeed, so I think I figured out the wing-anger:

My favorite part of the movie was overhearing a movie-goer complain about Noah opening the door to the Ark. "But what really happened was the Ark door was shut tight against Noah!" ...Really? You watched a move that depicts life evolving from a single celled organism, and it bothered you that Noah could come and go as he pleased? Oops, **Spoiler Alert.**

Finally saw Deer Hunter and Citizen Kane. 

My review:  "eh."

Mainly I just noticed how much Batman TAS was aping.

Watched that fucking Warriors movie a couple weeks ago.

My review:

I love Bill Maher, and basically pay for HBO just for Real Time, but he's come off so bad regarding the Noah movie. For a few weeks he's been using it as a punch line to jokes about dumb people, and it's ending up pissing off the people who he makes fun of. He better acknowledge this and have a bit about it.

Then again , he just did a bit about Vermonts heroin problem with joke Ben and Jerry flavors about junk, a guest mentioned that they were foreshadowing with Cherry Garcia and he totally didn't get it. I'm a Deadhead and thought it was a hilarious line as Jerry was famously a guy with a heroin problem. He died on a rehab getting clean. Maher just sat there confused as the lady was trying to explain and then went, "oh They were on acid" and she meekly shut up.

Edit: oh yeah, Noah. I'll watch it someday.

RED DRAGON is on BBC America right now, and, wow, it's almost impossible to watch now, in the wake of the superb HANNIBAL tv series. Hopkins was well beyond the point of giving the slightest fuck and basically parodies his own performance in SOTL in every scene. And Norton gives the most milquetoast performance of his career, not counting the movies he hated making and you can actually see his contempt for on the screen.

Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy just kill these guys every week.

All that said, when they finally get around to doing the Tooth Fairy on the show, I highly doubt whoever they cast will touch Ralph Fiennes, who is GOING FOR IT. "Ride with me! For my pleasure!"

RED DRAGON is on BBC America right now, and, wow, it's almost impossible to watch now, in the wake of the superb HANNIBAL tv series. Hopkins was well beyond the point of giving the slightest fuck and basically parodies his own performance in SOTL in every scene. And Norton gives the most milquetoast performance of his career, not counting the movies he hated making and you can actually see his contempt for on the screen.

Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy just kill these guys every week.

All that said, when they finally get around to doing the Tooth Fairy on the show, I highly doubt whoever they cast will touch Ralph Fiennes, who is GOING FOR IT. "Ride with me! For my pleasure!"

I can't say Mads is better than Anthony Hopkins than in Silence of the Lambs, but he is so much better than Hopkins in Red Dragon/Hannibal it's ridiculous. Hopkins was basically in full-on cartoon Bond villain at that point. 

I love Bill Maher, and basically pay for HBO just for Real Time, but he's come off so bad regarding the Noah movie. For a few weeks he's been using it as a punch line to jokes about dumb people, and it's ending up pissing off the people who he makes fun of. He better acknowledge this and have a bit about it.

Then again , he just did a bit about Vermonts heroin problem with joke Ben and Jerry flavors about junk, a guest mentioned that they were foreshadowing with Cherry Garcia and he totally didn't get it. I'm a Deadhead and thought it was a hilarious line as Jerry was famously a guy with a heroin problem. He died on a rehab getting clean. Maher just sat there confused as the lady was trying to explain and then went, "oh They were on acid" and she meekly shut up.

Edit: oh yeah, Noah. I'll watch it someday.

I suspect he was under the similar impression as myself, that this was basically Passion for the Old Testament. Except whereas there's some historical legitimacy to the notion that a Jesus of Nazareth did actually exist, the entire ark story is, how do I put this delicately, uh, not historically legitimate. I'm sure once he either sees it or gets wind that director explicitly made it as a fictional account of a fictional account, he'll backtrack.

From a recent Aronofsky interview.

I think it’s more interesting when you look at not just the biblical but the mythical that you get away from the arguments about history and accuracy and literalism. That’s a much weaker argument, and it’s a mistake.

Because when you think about Icarus, you don’t talk about the feathers and the wax and how the wax attached to his body and how is that physically possible that he could fly with feathers on his arms. No. You’re talking about how he flew too high and was filled with hubris and it destroyed him. That’s the message and that’s the power. That’s power to have that idea. But when you’re talking about a pre-diluvian world—a pre-flood world—where people are living for millennia and centuries, where there were no rainbows, where giants and angels walked on the planet, where the world was created in seven days, where people were naked and had no shame, you’re talking about a universe that is very, very different from what we understand. And to portray that as realistic is impossible. You have to enter the fantastical. The Leviathan in the sea. It’s a different understanding of the world, and that’s OK. That’s not dangerous.

What happens is that you get nonbelievers, then, saying "That’s impossible, because all the species of the world would never all fit on the ark." But that’s the exact wrong argument, you know? And then you have other people saying, "Yeah, it’s possible by the grace and majesty of God." If you look at it as poetry and myth and legend, then you can actually use it to understand your world and who you are.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/the-terror-of-em-noah-em-how-darren-aronofsky-interprets-the-bible/359587/

The "it's-not-the-historical-accuracy-that-matters-it's-the-message" is the go-to cop-out for nonbelievers who still want to attract those otherwise disinclined to their works.

Seems to be a "cop-out" that works more than if doesn't. Wonder why that is?