DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Mark Kermode is fantastic. His rants are pure comedy gold.

An under-rated one is his "review" of The Hangover part III. It was so soul-suckingly vapid and empty, he couldn't even work up any anger. It was just...there.

• Like 1

I sort of loved it.  The changes to the bible story are evident right away.  When Noah is telling the creation story to his children, the audience is seeing large passages of time between "days."  There are ROCK MONSTERS building the arc  etc...

But even then it sort of stays light for the first two acts as the arc is being built and the creator (the word God is never used) is granting miracles, but holy shit is the third act pure Aronofsky.  It's pretty much a horror film from there on out and I have no idea how it managed a PG 13 rating. You leave the theater thinking more about the destruction of humanity than the rainbow at the end of the storm.

Russell Crowe was great.  His best work in a decade at least.

Speaking of Mark Kermode, I was reading one of his books recently and he mentioned that Waterworld actually made a very decent profit when all was said and done. Mainly due to overseas ticket sales and video sales.

Cleoparta is widely regarded as a massive flop, too, but TV rights money actually allowed it to break even in the 70s. There's the idea that even if a movie cost a fortune and is a notorious flop, people still want to see it (unless it just looks absolutely miserable like Heaven's Gate.)

Everyone is awesome. Even the rich white trash girl who played a poor white trash girl in Ted. The end of that movie takes such a turn though, and I don't want to spoil any of it, but it pretty much defines the feeling of, "woah...shit got real."

A friend of mine pointed out that David Mamet is awesome, so I've begun a mini marathon.

Watched Spartan tonight. It was ace. Big Val is great, and the rest of the cast all had run-ins on The Unit which was great. Unfortunately Veronica Mars appears to ham up and ruin stuff, but luckily Big Val manages to keep her in check. Great movie. Also so cool to hear Big Val use "how about that" as often as Jonas Blaine did.

Next is Glengarry Glen Ross.

A friend of mine pointed out that David Mamet is awesome, so I've begun a mini marathon.

Watched Spartan tonight. It was ace. Big Val is great, and the rest of the cast all had run-ins on The Unit which was great. Unfortunately Veronica Mars appears to ham up and ruin stuff, but luckily Big Val manages to keep her in check. Great movie. Also so cool to hear Big Val use "how about that" as often as Jonas Blaine did.

Next is Glengarry Glen Ross.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna love it, it's fucking great. Then watch House of Games, it'll blow your mind. The only bad thing about it is that you really can only watch it once. But that one time is a fucking blast.
  • Like 1

The NOAH backlash is so great.  SOOO GREAT!!  Banned in some countries, the Fox News types hate it etc etc.  Search on Twitter if you're interested in the wide range of crazy.

Critics and Aronofsky fans both seem to be split.  It's a polarizing movie to be sure, reminds me of The Fountain in that way.