DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Hey, I finally saw AMERICAN HUSTLE today. So let me be the last person on Earth to say that it was supremely entertaining, although I was left feeling pretty sad about what happened with Irving and Carmine.

Back from a screening of Cheap Thrills at Cinefamily. Well-done and very dark psychological thriller. Performances are great, and David Koechner may have started a second career path as creepy guy in dark thrillers and horror movies. Truth be told, a very uncomfortable flick at times that goes to some very uncomfortable places, but if that's your thing this is well worth checking out.

I enjoyed how they were apparently trying to have the rich guy put on the most abrasive music possible at his place, and managed to put together a brostep song with a drop that lasted for like ten minutes straight.

Also neat to see the leads of The Innkeepers reunited under very different circumstances.

Woah, totally didn't realize the female lead in Cheap Thrills was the female lead in The Innkeepers, had definitely recognized the male lead. Cool!

Kids for Cash: Yeah, this was a pretty horrifying account of the 2008 Kids for Cash scandal (long story short: two judges were paid handsomely by private companies to send juvenile kids to their jails, even for minor things.) It does place a lot of criticism towards the system more so than focusing 100% of this one event.

Also, I know the documentary-makers were praised for letting Ciavarella offer his side of the story, but honestly, he just damned himself even more. There's undoubtedly truth to his claim that he gave harsh punishments regardless, but that still doesn't excuse him not including the extra cash on his taxes or calling it a "finder's fee." Him giving crocodile tears about being separated from his family for years is hilarious considering he happily did that to frigging 12 year olds for the most minor of transgressions. Whether he took bribes or not, the guy is a monster. That he would still be in his position, ruining life after life, if he hadn't been dumb enough to take the money is frightening.

Whole thing reminds me of a Charles Dickens story.

• Like 1

I heard Mark Kermode's review of Need for Speed. He complained about how they were constantly driving innocent people off the road/running them over. Said you could get away with it in a video game, but in a movie it's a different thing altogether.  Said it came off as more morally messed up that Death Race because at leas there was, like, social commentary in that film.

I'm a bit like that too, which is probably why I never liked these car racing movies. OK, it's great Vin Diesel and Rock pulled off their heist and defeated the bad guys and all, but what about the fact they basically left a city in ruins?

There should really be a movie dedicated to the poor people who have to do the clean up job after these race car drivers storm through their town.

They're the real heroes.

Paul Scheer (Of 'Human Giant' and 'The League fame) once said he had written a screenplay about a shopkeeper whose store gets destroyed in one of the 'Terminator' movies and I was really hoping he was gonna get it made, but, alas, I think it was a joke.

I'm almost surely in the distinct minority but after seeing it tonight I'd easily rate Hangover 3 as the best in the trilogy. I thought 3 was hilarious throughout and less ridiculous than 2.

I really disliked the first Hangover and didn't find it at all funny, one of the most overrated movies of the decade after Bridesmaids.

I actually liked Hangover 3, as well.  I liked the first one well enough (but was sorta let down after all the hype), disliked the 2nd one IMMENSELY, but actually was okay with the third one.  I chalk a lot of that up to John Goodman being in the movie, because that makes anything better.

I actually totally loved The Wolverine (!).  Thought the action sequences were well-done and actually vulnerable Wolvie was fun.  Was surprised at the depth of the drama and there was even a tinge of sexiness to the love story.  It's not like the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it was a totally entertaining and slightly-better-than-average comic book movie. And that's after I read an IMDB post that compared one of the actresses appearance to that of Stewie Griffin that totally took me out of the moment every time she was onscreen!

For comparison's sake

748435_031.jpgFamily_Guy-401-North_By_North_Quahog-16.

I just watched it again on dvd last night, and I'd call her hot myself. . . 

She reminded me of the Seinfeld concept of 'The Two-Face'.  Sometimes I'd be like "Wow, she's pretty cute" and in the next I'd be like "Nope, still seeing Stewie,,,".  Apparently she was a model before the film.

Hey, I finally saw AMERICAN HUSTLE today. So let me be the last person on Earth to say that it was supremely entertaining, although I was left feeling pretty sad about what happened with Irving and Carmine.

Yeah, after the big backlash against this movie for having no real emotional pull, I'd wondered if they had watched the same film.  The Irving-Carmine relationship and end result is pretty damn devastating.

Irving's line about never getting over it is really good, too.

Divergent was a movie.  Not entirely horrible but not great either.  Amused the kids for ninety minutes so it that that going for it. 

Mechanically it was very flawed, but I don't really agree with some of the criticism of the plot points.  Adult movie reviewers seem to be finding fault with a storyline that really isn't intended to click with them as adults. 

Divergent really is a story about teen angst, young love, and the difficult transition from child to adult, especially when it comes to career choices (ie. the factions are direct representations of the the dreaded "I must live up to the standards of my parents" dilemma) .  It just has Logan's Run as the backdrop. 

http://herald-review.com/blogs/decaturade/ptiching-an-im-perfect-game-movies-with-percent-freshness-ratings/article_cbe45e6e-b074-11e3-a049-0019bb2963f4.html List of films with 0% at Rotten Tomatoes.

Ringu 2 being on there is total BS since it's actually quite scary and does not deserve to be in the same category as Jaws: The Revenge or  Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2.

Unless you've seen Jury Duty recently, it's perfectly Acceptable to have fallen under the Pauly Shore spell when it was happening.

ETA: I've seen 47 of 'em.  I happened to like A Low Down Dirty Shame. :(

Not sure what's crazier: the shark roaring, Mrs Brody remembering something that happened when she wasn't even present or the shark unexplainedly blowing up. It may be the most stupidity crammed into 30 seconds ever.

To be fair, I've actually heard it's possible for sharks to "roar." I'm being dead serious here.

Jaws 4 is terrible, but I can't bring myself to shit on the series. Jaws 3 is just as bad. Yet 23 years later, these movies are still the reason why I haven't stepped foot into open waters.

A Low Down Dirty Shame is a fucking masterpiece.  Fuck that list.

Megaforce is ridiculously pedestrian and shitty to anyone above the age of ten, but Jesus, it was GI Joe before GI Joe was cool. 

All of that carnage from super awesome weapons of war, yet no one dies.  Hal Needham gave parents a war movie for their kids to watch with tons of explosions and lasers, yet not one single drop of human blood was shed and critics panned this film?  Fuck those critics.

It had a flying motorcycle, for God's sake. A FLYING MOTORCYCLE~!  Kids in the theater nearly pissed themselves with excitement when the damn thing took off.

Megaforce should be given a billion thumbs up just because it is the sole movie where Henry Silva plays a villain that actually survives to the end.

• Like 2

I dont' like the 0% thing.  It makes it sound like there is 0% of anything about the movie that is fun or good, which isn't what it actually means.

Like I can see how EMPIRE OF THE ANTS has a 0 good reviews? But fuck that.  It's glorious. There is at least one genuinely creepy scene when the old couple are trapped in the little wooden shack waiting for the giant ants to eat them and you can just hear the ants screaming outside.

Also ZAPPED!  What kind of snob knee-jerk reaction causes no one to admit to liking ZAPPED!?  WHERE DO I SIGN UP TO REVIEW ZAPPED! TO FIX THIS????

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD PART 2 is far inferior to it's predecessor.  But there has never been a movie with James Karen in it that shouldn't have one guy give it a thumbs up just for him.

A Low Down Dirty Shame has a 0% from critics, but 73% from the audience.  I don't know how you can't like a movie with Salli Richardson and Jada Pinkett looking like Salli Richardson and Jada Pinkett in 1994.

• Like 3

State Property is probably the worst non-MST3K/RiffTrax film I've seen and easily the worst thing associated with the Jay-Z brand. However, it deserves at least 5% because of the Cindy McPhearson reference on the Boondocks. It's only a legit, plausible crime/gangster film to an eight year old white girl living in the suburbs.

http://herald-review.com/blogs/decaturade/ptiching-an-im-perfect-game-movies-with-percent-freshness-ratings/article_cbe45e6e-b074-11e3-a049-0019bb2963f4.html List of films with 0% at Rotten Tomatoes.

Ringu 2 being on there is total BS since it's actually quite scary and does not deserve to be in the same category as Jaws: The Revenge or  Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2.

The whole list is kinda BS because the majority of the films on there were out before Rotten Tomatoes was even a thing, so you have these older films that have maybe 10-12 reviews on them from random people who wrote reviews back in the 80s and 90s.  Pretty sure if you had the usual 250-300 reviews as the newer movies do, SOMEBODY would be a fan of Staying Alive or The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.