DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I'll probably do a revision of it when I actually watch Barry Lyndon and REwatch Clockwork. I haven't seen Clockwork in years, but I feel like it would be a reversal of circumstances, in which the mad is broken down into normalcy, and how that may the ultimate commentary on the damaging effects of the current ideology that shapes what we call normal. But I just haven't had the time to go over it all.

We're not seriously pretending Meryl has had no work done, are we?

By Hollywood standard's, if it isn't blatant and/or horrible, it doesn't count. . . 

I think the key with the surgery is, you should want to look great...for your age. That's realistic. Women like Streep, Mirren, etc. they look great, but they also look their age.

Problems seem to start when you think you can actually think you can turn the clock back and go all out in pursuit of it.

There's a pretty fun Curtis Armstrong interview on the Nerdist Podcast this week.  During it Curtis said that the epic Booger burp from the belching contest was taken from a recording of 

an orgasming camel.

I actually totally loved The Wolverine (!).  Thought the action sequences were well-done and actually vulnerable Wolvie was fun.  Was surprised at the depth of the drama and there was even a tinge of sexiness to the love story.  It's not like the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it was a totally entertaining and slightly-better-than-average comic book movie. And that's after I read an IMDB post that compared one of the actresses appearance to that of Stewie Griffin that totally took me out of the moment every time she was onscreen!

For comparison's sake

748435_031.jpgFamily_Guy-401-North_By_North_Quahog-16.

• Like 2

So, 'Short Term 12' is pretty much the greatest film of 2013 that few saw/heard about, right?  I know I wouldn't have been aware of it if not for Hollinger's recommendation, but it's just so good.  Brie Larson plays a supervisor for a foster care facility for at-risk teens and it's so super-perfect.  I mean, she's incredible in the lead, but what really struck was how all the kids were really good, too.  I mean, when Marcus recites his rap lyrics that are all about his terrible treatment at the hands of his mother and at the end his eyes are just BLAZING as he spits out his lyrics, you can't believe for a second that it's an actor and not a real kid rapping through his pain.  I loved every minute of it, was a little worried it would go off the rails in the third act, but it reins itself in well.  Go rent it right now!

Cruel Intentions isn't really a great movie (and turns into a total melodrama by the end) but you get these scenes and performances in it, that take it up a few notches:

-Probably the best Sarah Michelle Gellar has ever been outside of Buffy

-That kiss

-One of the best endings to a teen movie ever. The single tear going down Gellar's distraught face and The Verve playing in the background just sells it.

It's one of those movies where I think if they'd have just done one or two things differently, it could have been a real cult classic like Heathers.

I love the Colorblind/sex scene as well.

There was theory going around that Phillippe/Witherspoon were actually doing it. I don't think that's true, but it is really tender and intimate on a level you don't see in most films.

I think the real problem with the movie is that Sebastian just turns into basically a good guy within about the space of a day.

In the original script it's pretty clear he's still an asshole, even if does genuinely love Annette. Also, in the script he gets distracted and run over. Which works better that the cheesy self-sacrifice thing.  

I really hated Cruel Intentions. I just found it to be really boring and contrived.

It was the Me Generation retard retread of Dangerous Liaisons.  You are better off reading Dangerous Liaisons. 

The subsequent sequels to CR had the decency to recognize that at heart, they were teen sex romps and acted the part.

• Like 1

Cruel Intentions is on HBO Go. Despite being able to quote large chunks of it, and owning it on DVD, here I am watching it. Never saw it in 1080 before!

For an R rated movie it is really sanitary. Like I think they added various sexual dialogue just to get the R rating. 

Not a single boob....