DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

My daughter made the cut for the International Baccalaureate program in VA and has decided that in celebration of her hard work, she wants me to take her to go and see Mr. Peabody & Sherman on Sunday.

I was dreading it but lo and behold as of today it is 76% Fresh at RT.  Hopefully it will not suck.

IB program eh? For the price of those tickets, could get her a copy of Kennedy's Rise and Fall of the Great Powers. Never too early.

My daughter made the cut for the International Baccalaureate program in VA and has decided that in celebration of her hard work, she wants me to take her to go and see Mr. Peabody & Sherman on Sunday.

I was dreading it but lo and behold as of today it is 76% Fresh at RT.  Hopefully it will not suck.

IB program eh? For the price of those tickets, could get her a copy of Kennedy's Rise and Fall of the Great Powers. Never too early.

I would like for my pre-teen child to occasionally act like a pree-teen child and enjoy being a kid.  Rise & Fall of the Great Powers during the week and perhaps a couple of chapters from a Divergence novel on the weekends.

• Like 1

I was dreading it but lo and behold as of today it is 76% Fresh at RT. Hopefully it will not suck.

I would like for my pre-teen child to occasionally act like a pree-teen child and enjoy being a kid. Rise & Fall of the Great Powers during the week and perhaps a couple of chapters from a Divergence novel on the weekends.

It worked out well for me! Oh but instead of Divergence, Animorphs 4life.

• Like 1

Disappointed but not surprised the Wes anderson movie only opened small today.

Nothing where I live and we do have a theater in the area that would normally have this.

Box office mojo said it opened in 4 theaters today

Does anyone want to guess what movie we saw this evening? 

300: Rise of an Empire. Not sure what to say about this one. It had its moments and I enjoyed the lead actor with the awful stage name. Lena Headey was okay but far from her masterful performances in Game of Thrones. Eva Green was very good here. Pretty fucking badass, actually.

With that said, this just didn't click. The blood and gore is just so over-the-top and fake looking. I'm done with the slow-motion shit too. What was kind of neat in 2006 is no longer. See, Snyder was smart enough to do away with it in Man of Steel and that ended up having some awesome action sequences. Whoever this new 300 director is just copied Snyder's old shit.

If you liked the first one, it's worth a watch.

Just saw it. Eva Green's breasts gave a strong supporting performance.

I thought it was a perfectly acceptable film for the 300 concept. In Murro's defense, he became director four months before they started shooting. The plan was always to shoot it like Snyder did so he had no choice in the matter.

Man, I did not get much out of 'The Spectacular Now' which puts me firmly in the minority (I think it's 92% on RT right now) here.  I didn't particularly care for the main character (Miles Teller) and, I mean, I get that he had a less-than-ideal childhood but at some point you want him to take some responsibility for his life and stop whining.  I didn't for a second believe that Shailene Woodley was that nerdy high school girl that no one would ask out and I thought it was rather disturbing how quickly he corrupted her into hard-drinking and it just being something that happens with no real judgement, like when she's slipping liquor from her flask into her drink at graduation and it's just like routine.  Also the supporting cast were never in it enough: Kyle Chandler has a quick part as Teller's dad, Andre 'Bubbles' Royo pops up a couple times as a nice math teacher, and Bob Odenkirk has a tiny little role as the owner of the store where Teller works and is really frickin' good that you want a whole lot more of him.