DVDVR Message Board

May 2024 Wrestling Talk

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

FTFY 🙂

Hard agree - my girlfriend has a new co-worker who's a JC listener, and we use her as a proxy to (lightheartedly) debate/argue though we've never met; I may not have the energy for this one

• Like 1

I kinda love that every time the Rock comes back to do a serious program with an actual wrestler he gets absolutely pantsed. And it’s obviously a surprise to him every time.

• Like 3

I'd kill for AEW to use the barbed wire trampoline gimmick one time, partly because I love me some barbed wire trampoline and partly because the meltdown on social media would be tremendous.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

They did. Omega vs Moxley, Full Gear 2019.

Internet Divided Over Controversial Jon Moxley Vs. Kenny Omega AEW Full  Gear Match

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I wonder how those guys from the "air raid crash off the roof" video are doing today.

Their screams and kid behind the camera with the Butthead voice saying “you guys okay?” live in my head and it’s been like 20 years!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

OK, who is your favorite wrestler solely because of their gimmick(s)? Not because of their in-ring or mic work. Just going off "they're terrible, but I loved their gimmick(s)."

I ask this because in the past few months, I've seen quite a bit of Charles Wright as Papa Shango, NoD Kama, and the Godfather, and I was overjoyed to see him pop up on my screen each time even though he is absolutely terrible. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm not sure if he was really terrible, but goddamn did I love The Amish Roadkill.

Roadkill was fun. Any super-heavyweight who understands when to leave his feet and when not to generally ends up being a useful piece, especially in tag matches.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

OK, who is your favorite wrestler solely because of their gimmick(s)? Not because of their in-ring or mic work. Just going off "they're terrible, but I loved their gimmick(s)."

I ask this because in the past few months, I've seen quite a bit of Charles Wright as Papa Shango, NoD Kama, and the Godfather, and I was overjoyed to see him pop up on my screen each time even though he is absolutely terrible. 

I think I have to go with Ultimate Warrior. When I was a kid, I didn't care that he did like three moves, and none of them particularly well. I just liked that there was this jacked, colorful dude yelling nonsense on my tv.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

I am an unabashed Repo Man fan. Someone on Crazymax used to make early 90s WWF comps and his Repo Man set was one of my favorites. D-Ray 3000 comes to mind as well. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

The performer is not terrible by any means, but my love of Luchasaurus is definitely due to the gimmick. What's better than a God-damned dinosaur who knows lucha libre?

(Now, "Killswitch" is nowhere near my list of faves.)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Some of ECW's tag teams were seemingly thrown together but ended up being absolutely amazing.  Doring/Roadkill and Tajiri/Whipwreck immediately come to mind.

I'm a legit fan of Danny Doring and Amish Roadkill, but I forgot about Tajiri/Whipwreck until you reminded me. Yeah, that team ruled. 

When it comes to Doring/Roadkill, I'm a sucker for big man/little man tag teams, so I definitely dig them. That was a textbook case of taking two workers and making them more than the sum of their parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmUgly said:

Max Moon. Just freaking look at him.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Max Moon. Just freaking look at him.

No, I believe that's Rob Conway you're referring to, not Max Moon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I'll be honest I don't remember where I saw him or in what context, and I've never sought out any of his earlier matches, but the few times I saw Takashi Iizuka staggering around with the metal glove and...dog collar (!??) brawling into the crowd,  I was totally all-in. From what I gleaned at the time, the general consensus was that he was terrible and ruined a lot of matches, but I absolutely loved the gimmick 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I am an unabashed Repo Man fan. Someone on Crazymax used to make early 90s WWF comps and his Repo Man set was one of my favorites. D-Ray 3000 comes to mind as well. 

I didn't see him as Repo Man until much later on, but I truly, truly love all the goofy shit he got away with on WCWSN in the later years. Barry "Hole in One" Darsow, the amnesia angle where he went back to Blacktop Bully... Just tremendous

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Some of ECW's tag teams were seemingly thrown together but ended up being absolutely amazing.  Doring/Roadkill and Tajiri/Whipwreck immediately come to mind.

Tajiri/Whipwreck was one of my favorite teams of all time. I always thought it would have been a nice idea to put them together during the Invasion angle - Tajiri and Regal's stuff was so good, I would have loved to seen Regal as the foil doing his disgusted face at Mikey's cackling and Vandenberg's creepiness.

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm not sure if he was really terrible, but goddamn did I love The Amish Roadkill.

IIRC, Roadkill was one of few late-ECW guys the WWF optioned to go to developmental - my memory is that Doring may have gone too, but if so, didn't make it very long. But I definitely remember it got to the point with Roadkill where they had semi-repackaged him, and he was doing dark matches in regular gear - so someone there definitely shared your vision.

• Like 2