DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

LIES! 

Hyatte was 90's, MNW Scoopscentral.  His Nitro recaps were my favorite as a teenage smark, and his relevancy died with WCW.  He died later.  RIP.

Possibly though I think he was on 411 until 2007. Yeah I heard he died only yesterday. It is sad, he was only 50, but I sort of hope his last words were 'This was Hyatte'.

It's funny to remember the wild west that was teh internets back then.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

Possibly though I think he was on 411 until 2007. Yeah I heard he died only yesterday. It is sad, he was only 50, but I sort of hope his last words were 'This was Hyatte'.

It's funny to remember the wild west that was teh internets back then.

Man, nobody remembers Inside Pulse. 

I was a wrestling (and MMA) writer on Inside Pulse in the early/mid 2000s, along with Chris Hyatte, Flea, Scott Keith, David Ditch, and a bunch of other enthusiastic writers. A lot of us (maybe all of us?) did indeed migrate over from the 411 boards/New Millenium Blues crew. Meanwhile all-around excellent guys Larry Csonka (RIP) and Dark Pegasus JD Dunn held things down at 411 after our great NOAH-esque exodus.

What great memories I have of those days! Most of us here are old enough to remember it. Before (almost)  everything was on YouTube. Before YouTube existed! You had to make connections and trade tapes if you wanted to watch Japanese or Mexican or Indie wrestling. Then, guys like Verne, Tabe, Goldenboy, Schneider, Keith etc etc were putting comps together and/or making older stuff available. Eventually, you could join crazymax..., Then, eventually, wait for IVP videos to have a sale or whatever... around then people (myself included) started uploading matches on YT...

And with each step it became a little bit less of an exclusive club, which is good, but people also took it more and more for granted, which is too bad.

The 411/IP split came at such an interesting/fun time. The Verne/Tabe etc etc point on that timeline. Probably the peak period for WWE snark from the Flea/Hyatte/Dunn/Keith crew, when several of them featured on EWR, when you still had to *subscribe* to a dirt sheet to have access to insider information, when Ditch and Keith and myself were kind of still exposing Japanese wrestling to a readership that at that time had to make an actual effort to be able to watch the matches we were writing about. It wouldn't last much longer. 

I really enjoyed that sense of it being "something special." I think that's why I can't get along with people who are too snarky and negative about wrestling. Not that "it's still real to me" but that it still feels special to me. Projects like Secret Santo really drive home how LUCKY we are with such an insane variety of wrestling available any time anywhere these days. Legit bums me out that some folks primarily choose to complain about all that wrestling rather than enjoying it.

At one point Inside Pulse was getting 750,000 distinct views per month! But the discussion boards were never as lively as 411s. Eventually I had to make my way over here (and to Smark's Choice and SSS) to find people who were interested in discussing Japanese wrestling. I think someone referring to a Toryumon or Michinoku match clip I'd posted as "those little Chinese guys" was a breaking point for me in terms of trying to get any such discussion going over there 😀

Anyway, thanks for mentioning Hyatte. It's been a while since I reminisced about those days. 

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Yokozuna joins the Hart Foundation next week on Raw.

Meanwhile, the Greensboro PPV ticket sales are going pretty swimmingly. Enough to make one wonder how many tickets they could open up if needbe in that building

Looking at the ticket site for the event the sales look pretty good for a show that's still a few months off. I can't tell if the upper 200s are on the hard cam site and intended to be dark unless the demand dictates otherwise or have already been sold. With the stage setup the venue could probably max at 14k-ish.

26 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Yokozuna joins the Hart Foundation next week on Raw.

Meanwhile, the Greensboro PPV ticket sales are going pretty swimmingly. Enough to make one wonder how many tickets they could open up if needbe in that building

I was thinking about that too. I'm rooting for a full sell out, Sting deserves it

8 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

I remember Inside Pulse, I used to read Scott Keith, Hyatte, and I think Ditch back in the day. I probably read your stuff too so thanks for that. Those early internet days were fun, a remember sending a money order to someone in Arkansas for a tape that had been copied so many times I could barely make it out. I can't remember what I ordered originally but they sent me a Best of Super Juniors to make up for it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

I was a wrestling (and MMA) writer on Inside Pulse in the early/mid 2000s, along with Chris Hyatte, Flea, Scott Keith, David Ditch, and a bunch of other enthusiastic writers. A lot of us (maybe all of us?) did indeed migrate over from the 411 boards/New Millenium Blues crew. Meanwhile all-around excellent guys Larry Csonka (RIP) and Dark Pegasus JD Dunn held things down at 411 after our great NOAH-esque exodus.

I'm offended, OUTRAGED EVEN, that you forgot that I wrote there too during that time period. But yea Inside Pulse was quite a time, for awhile there they were really making an effort to be a major online player for wrestling.

Actually I may have been writing there right after you were gone so I'm no longer offended, I take it back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Forgive the bit of fantasy booking, but I hope they respectfully play into sting's history with flair, but turn it on it's head a bit.

Something like..

"Sting, you know our history. How I turned on you time and time again to advance my own interests. This time, I'm not going to turn on you behind your back. But I am going to make your life hell in the next few months. Why? Because you're going into your last match, and damnit, I want it to be special for you. I want you to approach this match like it is the last time you walk that aisle, because it is.. because I want you to leave EVERYTHING in that ring. With our history, I really wish it could be me, in my prime against you one more time, but time has robbed us of that. But it's good that there's a top wrestler in the Flair family, even if it is by marriage. Andrade el Idolo. He'll walk that aisle for me. Flair vs Sting. ONE. LAST. Time.

I want you.. no.. Sting, I NEED you to be at your best at Revolution, because Andrade won't be sentimental like I am. He will not give you a single inch that you don't take from him. He'd like nothing more than to walk out of that ring in Greensboro as the man who sent the Stinger into retirement with one last loss. So, please.. PLEASE Sting. Use this time to get ready. Summon everything you got. Show these fans what they will be missing when that bell rings at the end. Do it for the little stingers. Do it for me. Do it so I can say to my family that "That man, right there? He was my toughest foe ever. And he still kicked ass 30 years later." Go into that match, and leave no regrets. I had a classic match, that was supposed to be my career-ending match at one of the biggest stages in wrestling, and I left it with regrets. It was too soon for me. I felt like I still had something left to give. My spirit was willing, but my body wasn't strong enough. So.. Sting, make sure you prepare for the match of a lifetime at Revolution, because it needs to be one that you can say that was the best match of your life at the end. Don't regret it. Make the last match of your career the best match of your career, because you'll have nothing more to give this great business."

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

@Kevin Wilson@Gordi the former AEW fanI had no idea the Inside Pulse connection! I submitted some writing samples as a teenager but it didn't pan out for one reason or another. My timeline could be off, but I think one of them was a really over the top screed about how getting rid of the IC title at the time was the worst thing that's ever happened to anyone, anywhere, for any reason. There's a very strong likelihood I've been reading both of your writing since I was a kid. After 411/IP, Hyatte had a column on Declaration of Independents for a little while, but I think the relationship ended poorly IIRC (I could be pulling that out of thin air, it's been a very long time). I was a big fan of your site, but got the feeling you all were starting to get spread a bit thin trying to go in an IGN-type direction with all the coverage of non wrestling/MMA stuff, like adding the video game, comic, and other headers (though I don't have a bad thing at all to say about the writing in those places on the rare occasion I ventured outside the wrestling/wrestling gaming sections).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Gordi the former AEW fan I certainly remember Inside Pulse! It was one of the many wonderful sites that destroyed my academic career, since I spent all the time reading them, instead of really studying (until I absolutely had to).

So, given how things worked out, Inside Pulse and 411, Scoops, MiCasa and WrestlingClassics very much affected the person I ended up becoming outside of wrestling fandom. While there was a short while where it felt like it was a bad thing, those sites indirectly made me choose a different path that has so far worked out surprisingly well. So thank you very much!

And yeah, Hyatte was something else! Good times! 25 years, where the F did you go?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

It's a huge building. Can hold up to 35,000 usually.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

It's a huge building. Can hold up to 35,000 usually.

if you add up the seating for all 7 venues of the complex, yeah. The Coliseum itself only seats around 22-23k. Phish holds the record right now with a little over 23k.

Hyatte was on Declaration Of Independents? The website that people called DOI, but then someone on here word filtered DOI to Second Doi, and so any lengthy discussion of it let to chains of quotes where the older posts now said Second Second Second Second Second Doi?

That wouldn't be a good fit, he was a "WWF IS THE MAJOR LEAGUES AND EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS" guy. Also, DOI was the "Feinstein is Innocent" site. I don;t think anyone really stuck around there after that shite started.

I never liked that guy. He hated us. Had a whole section in his column devoted to mocking the DVDVR board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Kevin Nash drawing 29,000 at the Garden comes to mind here.

But I don’t think they’ll be able to put enough people in the arena to have the hard cam over the entranceway like at Clash 1.

Nash's work with Alex Shelley was the best stuff Nash ever did. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nash's work with Alex Shelley was the best stuff Nash ever did. 

Idk if it's still up but at some point a kind soul out there complied the whole Nash/X division angle into a YouTube playlist. I always cry my eyes out at:

Nash: "C'mon man, do it for us."

Jay Lethal: "Us?"

Nash: "Yeah, you know, us. The Black guys.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Idk if it's still up but at some point a kind soul out there complied the whole Nash/X division angle into a YouTube playlist. I always cry my eyes out at:

Nash: "C'mon man, do it for us."

Jay Lethal: "Us?"

Nash: "Yeah, you know, us. The Black guys.'

Has anyone ever done the bracket regarding “white guys appopriating being black” a la Dusty, etc? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Probably. Although I wonder how you classify the Dusty imitators, like Dream Machine? Would they count?

Does that include any white guy who “speaks jive,” as Barbara Billingsley said in Airplane? 

You beat me to Dream Machine. Yes, he counts.

Boogie Woogie Man would make it to the Elite Eight at the very least.

• Like 1