DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

I said letting Jericho go out there last night was going to be bad and they needed not to allow that. They did it anyway, and it made things even worse.

This whole thing is a lose-lose situation. AEW was going to lose last night, no matter what happened. Not putting Jericho on TV would've been one way to mitigate the situation. People say not everyone is perpetually online. They were literally in New York last night. 20 years ago, New York crowd was chanting goodbye to Lesnar and Goldberg at WrestleMania 20. Plenty of people around that time were saying no one in the crowd would have any idea what was going on backstage with Lesnar and Goldberg and the two would still have a good match. The match was garbage and both guys stunk up the joint. The crowd totally turned on both of them and they could never get them back and they didn't even try. 

New York has always been a smart crowd, and AEW has a smart mark crowd. AEW literally caters to smart marks. Did you all think people really weren't going to give a  crap about what was happening on social media over the weekend, especially in the New York area?

Edited by TheVileOne

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Lost in the bullshit of everything else yesterday was whatever the hell this is

https://twitter.com/istomatoafruit/status/1740964180411498831

This does produce the funniest thing which is someone only showing the Saraya part and then showing clips of Chris Jericho holding a camera 

Since I've been down this TikTok/Influencer/Trend rabbit hole before. 

This is a TikTok trend that YouTubers/influencers are doing. It involves a group of people or two people posting a video saying, "We're [married/siblings/best friends/wrestlers/influencers/etc.]," who then proceed to call out the behaviors or habits of their group, "We're [this]. We [do this]." So this was an attempt by the AEW social media or I guess Saraya in this case to create a viral video capitalizing on a current TikTok video trend. 

The problem is that Saraya's bit in this is kind of tone-deaf and bad in light of the recent rumors and Tony Khan's comments last night. I get that it's meant to be comedy/parody, but it basically implies that AEW employees are harassing the women's wrestlers.

But Jericho does need to be quietly removed from TV right now until this situation gets addressed. Otherwise, it's only going to get worse. It's definitely going to get worse either way, but removing Jericho from TV is the only way to partially alleviate this situation until it gets addressed. 

Not to mention Saraya had her own issues with viral videos and her personal life with other wrestlers being revealed. 

Not to pile on Saraya because I realized she went through a personal hell and was in an abusive relationship with Del Rio, but there was also the issue of her current boyfriend and the video she released that shows him pretending to stab and murder someone, noting her current boyfriend's history.

The problem with people saying to take Jericho off TV until "everything gets settled" or "everything gets addressed" is we have no way of knowing if... that's it. If it just ends with a 'rumor' on a podcast and an emoji. If nothing else comes of it, what, Jericho gets pulled off TV forever? Wait two weeks staring at Twitter and there are no updates, clear his return? It just doesn't make any sense. I'd keep him on TV (or whatever the plan was) and keep going as usual, and if more comes out, go from there. But currently nothing has come out anywhere close to actionable, and pulling him from TV until a hypothetical future that things "are addressed" isn't really a solution. Jericho would be a fool to address it on his own (especially if there is a NDA), which is kinda a fool but I assume AEW's lawyers are asking him to not address it. The ball is really in Kylie's court, if it is true and she wants to address it, she will and it'll go from there.

• Like 2

Well, in the sports world, we are seeing athletes “benched with pay” these days when dealing with either legal or moral turpitude issues. 

if he is still being paid while not on TV, he’s just one of the many people on the payroll sitting at home and not being used presently. 

if he wasn’t being paid while suspended with no much tangible evidence at this point, that’s another issue. 

the former Man City goalkeeper was suspended without pay due to domestic violence/assault issues and then when the charges were dropped, he then sued City for his back pay. (Still pending) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Well, in the sports world, we are seeing athletes “benched with pay” these days when dealing with either legal or moral turpitude issues. 

if he is still being paid while not on TV, he’s just one of the many people on the payroll sitting at home and not being used presently. 

if he wasn’t being paid while suspended with no much tangible evidence at this point, that’s another issue. 

the former Man City goalkeeper was suspended without pay due to domestic violence/assault issues and then when the charges were dropped, he then sued City for his back pay. (Still pending) 

In the sports world its case by case though based on the accusations/validly of them. At this point, Jericho isn't even accused of anything illegal, just potentially "being creepy to someone" via podcast rumor. There are no detailed accusations, no lawsuit, no charges. Which I don't support being creepy to people but its not a crime, there is no accusation of abuse or even harassment. if more comes out, AEW should absolutely act on it but at this point there isn't even anything to act on.