DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I know this is a wrestling forum full of wrestling fans, so my opinion might not be shared. But I miss the time where all AEW had was Dynamite. Yes their roster is huge and more people deserve shine. But what is the tipping point? 5 hours is already too many hours to support viewership. Collision and Rampage are doing 300k - 400k. Dynamite is getting 800k. Adding preshows isn't going to make any of those numbers go up.

I like pizza. I wouldn't want pizza for every meal.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

CM Punk! CM Punk!

I know it doesn't make sense to just blurt out Ospreay picked AEW. "ABP. Always be promoting." But the way it's worded doesn't really leave room for anyone else. I'm sure they'll be a swerve of some sort and two people signed or Ospreay "won't sign" or whatever. But this one isn't leaving room for much speculation.

41 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

No thank you. In that regard AEW is already turning to the WWE model of content quantity over content quality. There's already 5 first run hours for AEW and 2 for ROH. No more programing please. Tighten up the stuff ya already got. We're almost to the point of like well Monday, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays are for promos and Thursdays, Fridays, & Saturdays are for matches. And Sundays are for PPVs.

It's an MCU problem. Too much content dissuades people from keeping up with the stories. I know this is a wrestling forum full of wrestling fans, so my opinion might not be shared. But I miss the time where all AEW had was Dynamite. Yes their roster is huge and more people deserve shine. But what is the tipping point? 5 hours is already too many hours to support viewership. Collision and Rampage are doing 300k - 400k. Dynamite is getting 800k. Adding preshows isn't going to make any of those numbers go up.

6 if the week has a BOTB or a Zero Hour before a PPV

I used to watch The Road To... packages that where done on youtube before the TV shows always well done and got me excited for the matches. But they seem to have vanished. I have long been an advocate of shorten some of the match times to give the ofter storytelling elements a chance to breath (such as that great Dalton Castle post match that aired on twitter)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Did I hallucinate this or were there weeks of Danhausen vignettes building to nothing?

I assumed he was going to return last weekend, but then the only thing he did was pop up on one of RJ City's bits and say "Nope, not this week" or something like that. It makes me wonder if he's not cleared yet or what's going on, but the shows would certainly be better with him around.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I used to watch The Road To... packages that where done on youtube before the TV shows always well done and got me excited for the matches. But they seem to have vanished. I have long been an advocate of shorten some of the match times to give the ofter storytelling elements a chance to breath (such as that great Dalton Castle post match that aired on twitter)

The Road To packages were sensational some weeks. That's exactly what I mean by 'pre-game'. 

Yeah, the often overlooked post match promos, especially for the losing end, are so underutilized. The vision I see of a 'post-game' would be a half hour dominated by those kind of segments, and promos for the next show(s). A bridge from show to show.

• Like 1

I’m really baffled by this, because it already exists. It’s on YouTube and Twitter, every week. Why does it need to be on TV?

Pretty sure the same argument was made about the Dark shows too, that they should be aired on television. Some stuff is just better as internet exclusives, and pre/post shows and interviews with a midcard ROH guy after he loses a match is exactly like that kind of content.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I know it doesn't make sense to just blurt out Ospreay picked AEW. "ABP. Always be promoting." But the way it's worded doesn't really leave room for anyone else. I'm sure they'll be a swerve of some sort and two people signed or Ospreay "won't sign" or whatever. But this one isn't leaving room for much speculation.

Since he’s still under contract with NJPW until February (I think), I thought this was about Mercedes Mone.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Since he’s still under contract with NJPW until February (I think), I thought this was about Mercedes Mone.

I think that's almost surely who it is.

• Like 1

AEW could benefit from less tv but I could say that about any wrestling promotion. To me, 60-90 minutes of A-show programming is ideal. It gives fans the time to stay up on what is going on, allows wrestlers to shuffle in/out and remain fresh and keeps creative organized. Extra tv waters down the product, makes wrestlers stale, and tires out the audience. There's no benefit to the promotion other than extra revenue at the cost of future revenue. 

AEW's creative is so piss poor that the adding of all of the extra programming has taken away any reason to tune in on a weekly basis. The matches are still there but I can watch them whenever I get around to it. They really are a WCW like promotion who in 10-15 years wrestling dorks online will be sorting through to find all of the random forgotten gems no one remembers happened.   

Jeez, if you don't like AEW creative that's one thing but "piss poor" is a little harsh. This isn't Court Bauer rehashing ECW and putting luchadors in Tijuana rings with untied ring mats. 

I'm gonna say it again: NO CALLIHAN. Also, it'd be real funny if they didn't reveal the Devil at the PPV at all, but that's not gonna happen. How Mercedes would even fit into being the devil is beyond me but yeah, it would be at least pretty interesting. 

• Like 7