DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/6 - 9/12/2023 - NOW 100% CM PUNK FREE!

Dolfan in NYC

On 9/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, Matt D said:

Glad you had a good time. Now (please) list off the ROH matches because there aren't any spoilers anywhere online!

----Fixing these up now that I have seen the WON spoilers ----

QT Marshall defends the AAA Latin American title vs. Metalik

Infantry & Willie Mack vs. Outrunners & Kevin Ku

Claudio Castagnoli defends the ROH title vs. Rocky Romero

Cole Radrick & Matt Brannigan vs. Gates of Agony

Zoey Lynn (popular locally) vs. Mercedes Martinez

Darius Martin vs. Christopher Daniels

--- My crew got tired, so we had to leave, so we missed ...

Lee Johnson vs. Cleveland's own Shane Taylor

Willow Nightingale vs. Lady Frost

Dominic Garrini vs. Josh Woods

Griff Garrison vs. Ethan Page

The Boys vs. The Workhorsemen

AR Fox vs. Tony Nese

Edited by Gorman
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gorman said:

Here are my thoughts from a fun night at Ring of Honor and AEW in Cleveland:

"Tell us that story again, Grandpa Darby!" "One day, I was skateboarding to the ring, and I was attacked by a DINOSAUR~!" "Ooooohhhh....."

Here's me talking to my daughter (age 20): 

(Dark Order shows up) "They're a happy cult." 

(Righteous shows up) "Are these guys another cult?" "Yeah, but they wear white."

Speaking of cult leaders, "Keith Lee saying 'run' was a tribute to Swamp Guy."

Her thoughts at the end of the night: "I'm not emotionally invested in pro wrestling, so I like the fact that the AEW matches aren't so long. The WWE matches just go on forever."

My three biggest impressions of the night:

1. Cleveland is getting into AEW. For the last year's Dynamite, there were a lot of random wrestling shirts (Savage, Piper. DX). This year, there were a lot of AEW shirts, including guys who weren't scheduled to be there (Omega, MJF, Cole, Orange).

2. Collision (and AEW) will be just fine without Punk. It's cool in a way that Collision had one "star of the show" who is now gone, so everyone else can gun for that spot. Starks, Keith Lee, FTR came right out and said they want the spot. But think of the other candidates: Andrade (looked at a monitor), Swerve (wasn't even there), Jay White (getting over as an inanimate object).

3. Twenty years ago, I announced for Ring of Honor in community college gyms and county fairgrounds. Last night, I watched ROH in the home of the Cleveland Cavaliers. That really meant a lot to me. ROH didn't go away; it exists as part of the No. 2 promotion in the country. Being a part of its early days feels even better than it does for Bleacher Report.

Cheers for sharing. Glad you had a good time.

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

I copy and paste photo's using my lap top

Yeah, I have to use a laptop. My preferred option is my tablet but it just posts as a link and doesn't embed. Frustrating.

• Like 2

Rampage had some nice things, nodded off in the middle of it and apparently missed the women's trios match entirely. Big win for Penta.

Collision was good stuff. Insane effort by Action Andretti, even though the crowd was against him. The ending was super nifty!

Darby vs Strong was very good and it weaved several storylines into one.

Samoa Joe with a big win and the finals being heel vs heel is interesting and should also advance a bunch of stories when it happens.

Statlander vs Renegade Twin was ok, but Jade returning was the real story. These two need a real match at a big stage!

FTR defends against you teams and Danielson promises an epic last year. This should be fun.

• Like 2

Between The Artist Formerly Known as Drago, Aero Star, Angelico, Fenix, and Penta, Collision was a real Lucha Underground Reunion.

Oh yay Jade is back and it'll probably be the same tired-ass act we saw for over a year.  Couldn't even get Stat up for her finish.  Show muscles, not go muscles.

I FFWD'd through Samoa Joe main events two nights in a row.  Why is this?  Am I just bored by the sameness of his style?  Sometimes AEW's "yes the outcome is a foregone conclusion but it'll be a good match!" style just bores me, maybe.

BUT despite all that, I loved Mox vs Andretti.  So maybe I just find Joe to be so very one note.

Roderick Strong's whole act is GREAT.  Loved him yelling at the Kingdom to get his neckbrace as soon as the match ended.

I unsubbed ROH so I didn't know Stu fully joined The Righteous.  That's cool but they couldn't throw a few bucks to Bateman?  Why?  Looking forward to seeing Vinnie's bobo Rob Zombie/Midsommar act on my TV.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Between The Artist Formerly Known as Drago, Aero Star, Angelico, Fenix, and Penta, Collision was a real Lucha Underground Reunion.

Oh yay Jade is back and it'll probably be the same tired-ass act we saw for over a year.  Couldn't even get Stat up for her finish.  Show muscles, not go muscles.

If Ricky Banderas fuckin ruled in Lucha Underground then Jade Cargill woulda fuckin ruled in Lucha Underground. Photogenic monsters you can fix in post.

• Like 2

I watched about 2/3 of Collision and a lot of things happened I either actively did not like (totally jobbing out luchadors for no reason like this was 1997 WCW, Jade reappearing) or didn't care about (Angelico) and I decided to give the rest a shot at another time when I'm less tired and grumpy, which might be a couple more weeks. Being that I am so fucking tired of Penta, I don't predict good things for the main event.

edit to add: Thanks to @Technico SupportI was reminded of things I liked. Mox-Andretti was good in the "Mox gives too much to a low-carder but still enjoyable because it's Mox" way. Roderick Strong was great both in-ring and in this angle in general. Like I wouldn't buy that dumb shirt but good job otherwise.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1

The International title match was pretty good, but Andretti’s work is the epitome of “just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.” His strikes look so much better than his high risk stuff. Even when he connects with his opponent none of it looks impactful, and Mox was throwing himself into most of it because Andretti was going to miss him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I will predictably say 

Danielson vs Casas, Panther, Virus, Hechicero. 

Had Virus in my lucha list in the other thread. Surely he should be able to swing Casas at least?

EDIT: Oooo how about this. Tony does a trade-off where he sends or receives all the youngsters they agree upon to CMLL in exchange for Dragon. Then we get Dragon vs. all those guys, Ultimo Guerrero, whoever. Then he sucks AAA's dick by doing a When Worlds Collide Dos just to keep them happy. 

Actually (trying to work this out in my head) Dragon should already be the hook for Empresa right? So we get... who? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Emi Sakura is clearly amongst the 2-3 most talented ladies in Division. When she fights on TV she is consistently great. I would love to see her better utilized. Can we all band together and will an upset TBS Title run for Emi. If not a title run, I’m fine with a string of TV losses, but on TV more frequently. Weekly. I’d also like for her to be allotted some promo time. And let’s not be afraid of Japanese with English subtitles.

I’m happy to see everyone loving Toni Storm. It’s all coming together for this wonderful performer.

Some of the video packages this week were fantastic. The Ricky Starks promo was good. I’m not so sure about ‘MIKE’ Santana as a solo act. But am game to see. CJ Perry delivers a helluva promo. And I love Roddy Strong and the Kingdom. Speaking of Roddy, I suspect everyone was reminded what a great pro wrestler he is this week. Both bouts with Trent and Darby were so fun. Darby is maybe the best professional wrestler.

Some good Town Halls this week: specifically Joe-MJF,Danielson-Starks/Bill, and Swerve’s breakout and much beloved performance opposite Hangman.

Not that it was all that remarkable, but I liked the Bunny/Anna/Taya v Hikaru/Skye/Britt trios bout on Rampage. I’d like to see more Trios matches. The Trios matches that used to appear on Dark were often better than the bouts that made TV that same week. Everybody needs the TV time, and it’s a great way to showcase. More, more, more Ladies trios. And pre or post match promos. Everywhere.

I wasn't against the amusement, especially the first time around, but Cardblade Jay White feels like a reminder that Jay White isn’t present and that maybe the show isn’t so important. That said, Juice Robinson seems most worthy of ‘Collision Cowboy of the Month’. He's come a very long way in a short time. Kinda inspiring.

Nigel McGuinness is one of the best signings AEW has ever made. So to Renee. I can’t remember if it was this or last, but loved her and Roddy getting into it over her line of questions.

I liked Joe v Jeff Hardy from Rampage. I especially like Hardy taking some losses and moving down the card. I suspect his connection the audience will allow him the fall and (potentially) eventual rise.

The Schiavone Sitdown should be a regular feature on Collision. Claudio-Eddie was a nice one. That said, a couple of really bad cuts here. 

Some nice bouts announced this week that really didn’t play out all that well. The Bullet Club Gold v Luchadores bout and especially Rey Fenix v Angelico were both pretty forgettable. Can we also WILL TOGETHER a rebuild of Angelico with an eight month ROH Pure Title. I can’t remember the Bucks v 2.Oh. I’ll revisit before adding it to this list.

I’m game for an FTR Open Challenge series. And sure, yeah, I’ll take that Savages bout.

Wow, this run of Hook Videos has been glorious WRESTLECRAP! But Comedy segment of the week, maybe my favorite moment of the week: Andrade watching on smiling and then serious, smiling then serious. And twice! Fucking awesome!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Just got to watch Collision and I thought CJ Perry did a fantastic job with that promo. Might be time to add her to the lengthy yet somehow still prestigious “more interesting/talented than adam Cole” list…

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 1:59 AM, Dog said:

Strong vs. Darby was fucking INCREDIBLE.

Roderick Strong rules the motherfucking world?

Roderick's mic work and character work are finally catching up to his in-ring work because he's been awesome since the Generation Next days when he was having 60 minute classics with Bryan Danielson, a classic Pure title match with Nigel, or a classic in James Gibson's last ROH match. 

I'd throw Roderick's name into the hat for Danielson's last match. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Emi Sakura is clearly amongst the 2-3 most talented ladies in Division. When she fights on TV she is consistently great. I would love to see her better utilized. Can we all band together and will an upset TBS Title run for Emi.

Hell yes.  Emi on various show having violent awesome matches and maybe showing the less experienced workers how it's done would be amazing.  I keep thinking back to that incredible match she had with Hayter.  Shiiiiiit.

• Like 3

Emi posted a video of herself crying backstage at Wembley during Saraya’s ring entrance, and they seem to be trying to turn it into an angle. But it makes Saraya look like a right piece of shit.